Newbie looking at fiberglass trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2023, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Jayco
Michigan
Newbie looking at fiberglass trailers

I have RVed before but it has been over 20 years. I have gotten to the point where I don't like winters in SE MI, not because of the cold, but because of the number of damp, dreary days without sun. FL might be nice, but any place with lots of sun and highs around 50F. The point being, I will stay in one place for a couple of months. Very little if any boondocking.

My big concern with all the fiberglass trailers is the amount of space the bed takes up. The only alternative is the Scamp 5er. It should tow easily with a 1/2 ton pickup, maybe even something like a Ford Ranger. I would like to keep it small, under 22'.

Am I missing something ?
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:01 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Absolutely not! The Scamp 19' was designed with the old Ford Ranger in mind, and I believe they still use one for deliveries. The new Ranger is far more capable and would make a great combination for your travels. Even an old one (preferably with the 4.0L) would be fine if it is in good mechanical condition.

The Southwest (from Texas to California) has many wonderful places to spend the cheerless months. Two months at a time means private campgrounds or RV parks, because public parks are typically limited to two weeks. You'll need to book well in advance. Some offer monthly rates. You may find a few, mostly high end resorts, that have a minimum size and maximum age restrictions.

Welcome, and best wishes for your future travels!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Jayco
Michigan
Any suggestions for other fiberglass RVs ?
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
The Bigfoot 21 is a nice floor plan. Worth checking out. 4 season. Well built. Solid reputation.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:16 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Also Escape 21 and the Escape 5.0. The latter is a fifth wheel, and there are two versions. The older single axle version is close to a Scamp in size and suitable for a mid-sized truck. The newer tandem axle version (5.0TA) is nice but larger. You might appreciate the extra space for long-term winter travel. Unlike the Scamp, all three have a longways bed.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe
I have a 2002 Scamp 19 ft. 5th wheel that I pull with a Dodge Dakota and they are very well paired. The Dakota is a 2008 crew cab with a V8 engine. One thing you have to watch for when selecting the your truck is the clearance between the top of the truck bed and the part of the 5th wheel that hangs over the truck bed. If interested I have both listed in the classified section.
ROBERT HYSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Escaping Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Any suggestions for other fiberglass RVs ?
Best suggestion I have as a Casita owner is longer stays in cramped quarters can have bad effects. My stepdad and mom pulled a 28' Avion to Harlingen TX from Traverse City for 3 years then decided they liked the area and got a park model that lasted them almost 18 years then sold for what it cost them. When you factor in the cost of a tow vehicle and trailer against the cost of summer maintenance of a second home it all becomes manageable. Also it is a lot easier to make the trip south in a van than in a truck with a tow.

Think about getting a well maintained smaller sticks and staples and explore the south, then see what is available in the parks. South Rio Grande Valley is a nice place to become a winter Texan - this is coming from a Floridian.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Escape fifth wheel is much nicer than the Scamp 5th wheel IMO. But very hard to find used, and factory backlog is long. But it would be my choice, particularly for longer stays
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:58 PM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
The Bigfoot 21 is a nice floor plan. Worth checking out. 4 season. Well built. Solid reputation.
A Bigfoot 21 is too heavy to be pulled with a Ford Ranger. YMMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Escape fifth wheel is much nicer than the Scamp 5th wheel IMO. But very hard to find used, and factory backlog is long. But it would be my choice, particularly for longer stays
We just sold our Escape 5.0. We owned it over 4 years, pulled it over 40,000 miles, and slept in it over 500 nights. It was fantastic for our uses, but as I aged we always knew we wanted a Bigfoot 25RQ again (we previously owned a 2003 25RQ).

Our friends had no problem pulling their 2018 Escape 5.0 with their GMC Canyon. The bed area is larger, much more storage, and bigger double pane windows than the Scamp. Our friends had a Scamp 5th wheel, but when they saw our Escape put it up for sale and bought a 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
It all depends on your budget. From Oliver all the way down to Scamp.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:40 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
A Bigfoot 21 is too heavy to be pulled with a Ford Ranger. YMMV!
He mentioned the Ranger in reference to a Scamp 19. Elsewhere he mentioned a 1/2T truck (presumably full-size).