Ocala FL campground with tornado shelters? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Florida does have a lot of tornadoes, but most are EF0-2, survivable in a well-built above ground structure. They don’t get the EF4-5 monsters like Oklahoma. Probably why you don’t see underground tornado shelters.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Some Boy Scouts camping in a scout camp in western Iowa were killed in a storm about 15 years ago. Our local (25 miles ) scout camp had some very nice block buildings but none that were certified as tornado shelters. A couple men in our troop initiated a project there. They acquired a considerable number of used 72 and 84 inch concrete storm drain sections. They found an acceptable piece of terrain at the camp and lined up, sealed and buried the sections. They acquired ventilation fans, lighting, two very heavy doors and built benches to set on. Their project was innovative, cheap, secure and more than adequate to protect a camp full of campers. Tornado shelters are common here in Iowa, but that said, nobody obsesses over the possibility. They trust and react to warning sirens. Tornado deaths are rare. Drivers using cell phones kill more people than tornadoes every year.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I essentially stated 4 years ago in this thread that any concern about tornadoes in Florida is unjustified paranoia. I have lived in Central Florida for 35 years now and have NEVER seen a tornado, other than on news videos when waterspouts were spotted in Tampa Bay, but they typically dissipate upon reaching the shoreline. I did see a few homes with roof damage from a tornado about 15 years ago. I’ve seen plenty of hurricane related damage, however.
All I will now say is that anyone who has an irrational fear of a locality and cannot stop obsessing about it would be well advised to not travel to the area in question, even though one is probably much more likely to suffer a heart attack from shoveling snow than to experience a tornado in Florida or Georgia. The odds of finding a labeled tornado shelter in Florida or Georgia are about as likely as being hit by a falling meteorite. And any logical individual should realize that there is a reason for that; the reason being that life threatening tornadoes in Florida are not a threat worth obsessing over. Furthermore, the NWS stays on top of atmospheric conditions and issues watches and warnings promptly, so any concerned individuals can seek shelter should they decide to do so.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
What Gordon2 said
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I may be looking for an RV park between Savannah and Jacksonville that has a tornado shelter. I know most RV parks use their "clubhouse" our outhouse as the tornado shelter, but I would rather there be a defacto tornado shelter. Preferably one that says "Tornado Shelter". I realize they probably don't exist outside OK, but I thought I would ask if anyone has seen one in GA/FL, ideally near the state line. If not, anywhere else in GA or FL.
Welcome back! How did the four years in Ocala work out? Any tornadoes? FWIW, I grew up near Savannah and tornadoes were a thing that happened somewhere else, though weather may have changed. Our neighbor did have a bomb shelter for when the Russians nuked us.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #26

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
Ocala and storm shelters.

You can actually find meteorological maps
that will show accumulated data on
prevalence and location of tornadoes.

In Florida where I live, local topography
can be a big factor too - some counties
far more affected than others.

(Personally I pay far more attention
to Lightning)
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Florida does have a lot of tornadoes, but most are EF0-2, survivable in a well-built above ground structure. They don’t get the EF4-5 monsters like Oklahoma. Probably why you don’t see underground tornado shelters.
I don't know we don't "get Tornadoes" in Massachusetts but there was an F-4 in 1953.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Worcester_tornado

You never know.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I don't know we don't "get Tornadoes" in Massachusetts but there was an F-4 in 1953.

You never know.
There was a relatively strong tornado in New Hampshire in the Concord area a few years back. An acquaintance of mine had severe damage to her horse barn. And New Hampshire is not known for tornadoes. The only continent that is tornado free is Antarctica.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Well they do build newer structures in Florida to withstand the high winds of hurricanes and by code they need to use "strong ties" to hold the roof framing down onto the walls. Plus concrete block walls are bonded down to the foundation with lengths of rebar. So I don't think you need to worry too much about it if you are inside such a structure. But a direct hit from a tornado is going to be pretty scary to go through.

The local area emergency preparedness groups can provide you with more information on what to do if there is a tornado. The RV park owners no doubt have created a set of criteria they can provide for you at the time you check in for what to do if there is a tornado warning. Most businesses in high risk areas have information for tenants, employees and residents on where they should go and what they should do. Of course you can contact them before you make a reservation and ask. If they are not prepared then go elsewhere.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:

You never know.
I’ll concede. It’s possible. Florida has had a few large tornados- very, very few.

Problem is we all watched the Wizard of Oz too many times at an impressionable age. Problem is we spend too much time watching the Weather Channel, which profits from every over-blown weather event they can find. There is a gut emotional response to the tiniest probability that is out of proportion to the actual danger.

If you want 100% safety from all possible hazards, you certainly should not be towing a trailer on the highway. Statistics there are far more alarming, but reasonable people take reasonable precautions- safe vehicle, best-practice towing equipment, defensive driving, monitoring traffic and road conditions- and live comfortably with the possibility that you can die at any time on the highway simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reasonable precautions during the spring storm season include monitoring weather, asking about emergency procedures when you check in, noting the location of the best available shelter near your campsite... and coming to peace with the small possibility that you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Falling trees and branches are the greatest danger during storms, followed by lightning. Tornadoes are far down the list.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
WKRP

Quote:
...the Weather Channel, which profits from every over-blown weather event they can find. There is a gut emotional response to the tiniest probability that is out of proportion to the actual danger.
Reading through this thread reminds me of Les Nessman and his WKRP weather report on the "Godless (communist) tornadoes attacking Cincinnati!"

Reasonable preparedness, reasonable response. The reasonable response for most of us is clean up after the weather event and helping those who have suffered property damage.

That said, here in central NC when hurricane warnings are posted for the NC east coast - it is amazing all the central NC folks that run to the grocery and buy all the bottle water and canned food. Last year they stood in line for 2 hours waiting on the bottled water truck to make a delivery

And after every hurricane event, we in central NC get a gentle steady all day rain. No power loss, no wind. And after every hurricane event, my church puts at a call for donations of the horded supplies - for the people in need on the east coast. At this point the call is humorous: "C'mon people, we know you have it stock piled and are not going to use it, please donate your extra water and goods for people in need."
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
concrete block

I was in a tornado one time in the Badlands seems they are common there. Everyone was rounded up and you guessed it put in the concrete block bathroom.

There was plenty of room for everyone and we rode it out we just stood there. Our tent was not staked down and made it fine. A womans tent was staked down but blew away never to be found again. She got in her car and left but at least she could get into her car.

I camp out we don't worry about snakes or storms. If I have to fret and worry I stay home!

I don't think I hear much about campers blowing away! Go and have fun...

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I am in no way attempting to shame anyone into not being prepared, anymore than I would suggest that your response implies that I am irresponsibly unprepared.

I am merely stating as a long term resident of Florida with much experience with the weather one can expect when living here that worrying about something as remotely likely as a killer tornado should be of little concern. If you wish to drag around a concrete storm shelter be my guest. Most Florida campgrounds have concrete block bathrooms that would handle 99% of the typical F1 tornadoes that occur here.
I might also suggest pontoons on your trailer in the event sea level rise occurs faster than expected; after all much of Florida is not elevated much above sea level and then there is also a possibility of a super tsunami hitting the east coast; it could wash over the state. You might want to install a bed with an ejection jet pack in case one of Florida's numerous and frequently occurring sink holes develops under your campsite. One man's body was never recovered when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom a couple of years ago. Also, killer bees have established themselves in Florida so a supply of epinephrine injectors might be in order. It might be prudent to stay inland as any outbreak of red tide could cause exposure to dangerous toxins. Definitely avoid wearing a hoodie in public as that can get you shot by some "cop wannabe." All that being said, hurricanes are probably the biggest threat in Florida, and many more people drown as a result of storm surge than are killed or injured by high winds. If there is any positive aspect of hurricanes, the National Hurricane Center provides several days warning and there is more than ample time to get out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:

You never know.
There were two tornadoes in Western Massachusetts; first one was in 1973 and started on the Mass/NY border in Canaan NY and traveled to West Stockbridge Mass, killing 3 people. It destroyed houses, vehicles, and a truck stop. Then in 1995 a F4 tornado began in NY and traveled through Great Barrington Mass and some distance beyond, killing 3 people. Both those tornadoes were within 15 miles of our house. The one in 1973, Mary almost drove into it, but stopped just short of it because the rain was so heavy she couldn't see to drive further.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #34

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
agree with you

Yes we can worry and worry more on this stuff it isn't going change much if such an event happens or the final outcome...

We have had a complete city ravished in our state Joplin Mo. had another close to us Jefferson City not long ago. We have had close calls but not much we can do about it!

We have tented, bused, now trailers we just go. Of course we don't head to flooded areas and such but we plan a trip it takes a lot for us to not go!

This has a applied to our European trips also. We make our plan and reservervations we go! After 8 or 9 trips we have never been threatened with anything!

Believe it or not we spent 3 days in Jordon last April and had a great time! We even got into an argument with a cab driver and worked things out!

Quit worrying and have fun!!

bob

Quote:
I’ll concede. It’s possible. Florida has had a few large tornados- very, very few.

Problem is we all watched the Wizard of Oz too many times at an impressionable age. Problem is we spend too much time watching the Weather Channel, which profits from every over-blown weather event they can find. There is a gut emotional response to the tiniest probability that is out of proportion to the actual danger.

If you want 100% safety from all possible hazards, you certainly should not be towing a trailer on the highway. Statistics there are far more alarming, but reasonable people take reasonable precautions- safe vehicle, best-practice towing equipment, defensive driving, monitoring traffic and road conditions- and live comfortably with the possibility that you can die at any time on the highway simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reasonable precautions during the spring storm season include monitoring weather, asking about emergency procedures when you check in, noting the location of the best available shelter near your campsite... and coming to peace with the small possibility that you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Falling trees and branches are the greatest danger during storms, followed by lightning. Tornadoes are far down the list.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #35

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Welcome back! How did the four years in Ocala work out? Any tornadoes? FWIW, I grew up near Savannah and tornadoes were a thing that happened somewhere else, though weather may have changed. Our neighbor did have a bomb shelter for when the Russians nuked us.
I ended up not going to FL, but I may go there now. I wasn't too far from Savannah, I remember hearing they had a wonky nuclear reactor designed like the one that melted down in Chernobyl. We were afraid Savannah would nuke us, lol.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #36

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb-in-FL View Post
You can actually find meteorological maps
that will show accumulated data on
prevalence and location of tornadoes.

In Florida where I live, local topography
can be a big factor too - some counties
far more affected than others.

(Personally I pay far more attention
to Lightning)
I thought there might be "upscale" RV parks that might cost a little more, but have nicer amenities like a real shelter, but being "nicer" seems to equate to having a swimming pool or laundromat. I've heard about the lightening in FL, I think I would get inside my tow vehicle if it was really bad.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #37

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I thought there might be "upscale" RV parks that might cost a little more, but have nicer amenities like a real shelter, but being "nicer" seems to equate to having a swimming pool or laundromat. I've heard about the lightening in FL, I think I would get inside my tow vehicle if it was really bad.
You really should avoid Florida. Not only are tornadoes, hurricanes, and lightning life threatening, but there are places where turkey vultures will rip the rubber right off your windshield wipers. And then there are the aptly named fire ants. The love bugs that will really make a mess of your vehicle and trailer. Can’t forget the venomous snakes, we have water mocassins, eastern diamondbacks, coral snakes, and copperheads and lots of black widow spiders. And let’s not forget that Florida is a “stand your ground” State; you might get shot. Plus, if you go swimming in the ocean, beware of shark attacks and rip currents. And now that COVID-19 has made its presence known, well, what can be said about that.
Your profile states that you are from New Jersey. I understand that NJ has no serious weather events including electrical storms, it is safe to walk on any street anywhere at any time of day, no murders, no serious health problems, and NJ is so benevolent that when you need to fuel a vehicle, somebody does it for you so that you can pay someone’s salary for something you can do for yourself. Oh, and the lovely winter weather. If I were fortunate enough to live there, I’m not sure I would ever want to leave it’s safety and security. Why would anyone?
Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #38

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
I ended up not going to FL, but I may go there now. I wasn't too far from Savannah, I remember hearing they had a wonky nuclear reactor designed like the one that melted down in Chernobyl. We were afraid Savannah would nuke us, lol.
I think they also "lost" a nuke bomb off the coast when I was a kid. We knew nothing at the time, of course. Big tornado just through here in middle TN. Hardly anywhere is safe and worse to come, apparently.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
You really should avoid Florida. Not only are tornadoes, hurricanes, and lightning life threatening, but there are places where turkey vultures will rip the rubber right off your windshield wipers. And then there are the aptly named fire ants. The love bugs that will really make a mess of your vehicle and trailer. Can’t forget the venomous snakes, we have water mocassins, eastern diamondbacks, coral snakes, and copperheads and lots of black widow spiders. And let’s not forget that Florida is a “stand your ground” State; you might get shot. Plus, if you go swimming in the ocean, beware of shark attacks and rip currents. And now that COVID-19 has made its presence known, well, what can be said about that.
Your profile states that you are from New Jersey. I understand that NJ has no serious weather events including electrical storms, it is safe to walk on any street anywhere at any time of day, no murders, no serious health problems, and NJ is so benevolent that when you need to fuel a vehicle, somebody does it for you so that you can pay someone’s salary for something you can do for yourself. Oh, and the lovely winterFlorida weather. If I were fortunate enough to live there, I’m not sure I would ever want to leave it’s safety and security. Why would anyone?
I’ve been to Ocala so I understand your post but aren’t you being a little hard on Florida ? Sure it ain’t New Jersey but then what is ?
Every location has its pros and cons and some just need to work on raising their pros and lowering their cons a little harder than others .
I will admit New Jersey does have a lot to offer and visiting there is on my bucket list !!

PS ; In Oregon they also have attendants that pump your gas . Kind of a nostalgic return to the days of my youth which I rather enjoyed . Many a time in our Wisconsin Winters I wish that service was available here .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #40

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I’ve been to Ocala so I understand your post but aren’t you being a little hard on Florida ? Sure it ain’t New Jersey but then what is ?
Every location has its pros and cons and some just need to work on raising their pros and lowering their cons a little harder than others .
I will admit New Jersey does have a lot to offer and visiting there is on my bucket list !!

PS ; In Oregon they also have attendants that pump your gas . Kind of a nostalgic return to the days of my youth which I rather enjoyed . Many a time in our Wisconsin Winters I wish that service was available here .
Steve, Carl thinks I have an irrational and obsessive fear, which is probably true, so he is making a joke at my expense.