Opinion on best trailer for full timing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd go for the Escape fifth wheel. Gives you the feeling of two separate rooms with the bedroom up front.
This is very true. I installed hooks at the foot of the bed as well as the front of the dinette to hold a lightweight curtain on an elasticized cord. Works great when privacy is needed, or to shut out light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
You might consider expanding the space through your choice of tow vehicle, such as using a full-size van, perhaps using it as a bedroom and separate dayroom.
I know of a few folks that have done this. It works great, but the one thing to consider is that you still might benefit from an appropriately sized communal area for eating and socializing that fits everyone. Especially if full timing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
My wife, dog, and I are currently full-timing in a 19' Escape. It's been good for 5 months, but the space is just a little bit tight. We're actually looking at upgrading to a 25' Bigfoot.

Having looked briefly at a Bigfoot in person, I'd say it's about a wash quality-wise with the Escape. Bigfoot uses somewhat more "premium" parts in places (thicker dinette cushions, heavier everything), but Escape seems to be a bit more careful about little details in design and construction. The Escape 19 is also really good in terms of usable space relative to size - there's very little wasted/unusable space. To the point that we had to go with a 25' to get an actual increase in usable space vs the 19'.

In terms of insulation, the Bigfoot has a thick styrofoam layer between fiberglass vs Escape's thinner foam liners. In both cases the biggest heat transfer will probably be the window and door frames. The Escape might also not leak as much more heat as you'd expect despite the thinner insulation, because it's also got less overall wall area (it's not as tall or wide as the Bigfoot).
Good assessment of the differences in the two. We love our Escape 5.0TA, but if were to ever move to another trailer, it would be the Bigfoot 25. I really wish Bigfoot would use a wet bath and free up the saved space for other things.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Opinion on best trailer for full timing

The OP mentioned being on a budget. Some budget options to watch for...

Scamp 19. Gives a lot of space for the price. Actual towing length is about the same as a 16'er, so it will fit in tight spaces. The standard has a lot of sleeping spaces- it's possible to sleep four with the dinette set up or to create separate "bedrooms" front and back- but it has a really small bathroom. The deluxe has fewer berths but a nice, large bath and the option of a 6.0 cf fridge. Weight of the deluxe is near the limits of the single axle suspension. Of course, being a fifth wheel style, it requires a truck.

Bigfoot 19. This is one of their older models that comes up every now and then. It has a fairly open plan similar to the 17G but larger and with tandem axles. Although it's not a four season unit, it would likely be more comfortable than a Scamp in colder weather. It's a bumper-pull, so it could be combined with a van-as-tug for more room.

Bigfoot 20. Another older model, this was Bigfoot's fifth wheel. Gives the advantage of a separate front and back sleeping areas. Requires a truck.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife and I , plus our dog have owned a 16 ft Scamp , a 17 ft Casita SD , a 21 ft SOB , and a home made trailer . We would not attempt to live full time in any of them . If we were to go fulltiming it would be in a Bigfoot or Airstream .
Most trailers just aren’t built for constant / everyday use IMHO .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Hey Dirk
I thought I recognized those call letters.

I think the van for a second bedroom is a good idea also, and you have a mobile bed for when we go winter camping or the Gluttony gathering

It may be a while before the boys can be on their own in the van though
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Depending on how long I choose to stick with my current lifestyle, and van is going to be my next vehicle. The storage area is more secure than a pickup bed, and more climate controlled. Plus when I'm heading somewhere for just a night or a weekend and don't need all the comforts of home, I can leave the camper behind and sleep in the van. It's really a great option for full-timers.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Depending on how long I choose to stick with my current lifestyle, and van is going to be my next vehicle. The storage area is more secure than a pickup bed, and more climate controlled. Plus when I'm heading somewhere for just a night or a weekend and don't need all the comforts of home, I can leave the camper behind and sleep in the van. It's really a great option for full-timers.
We are getting to the age where if we are going away for 1 or 2 days we often leave our trailer at home and rent a motel room . For us it’s far less hassle especially in colder weather
We slept in vans when we were in our 20’s and 30’s but as we approach our 70’s the charm has disappeared .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #27

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I get it! All through college and for probably 10 years after, sleeping the back of an old Toyota pickup was cushy car-camping for me. Then for a while I had a little Toyota motorhome, then my trailer, and didn't do the back of the truck thing for a few years. Tried it a couple times last summer...I'm over it. Especially in a small truck like mine (98 Tacoma), it's cramped, dirty and uncomfortable.

But a large van I can sit up in, protected from road dust and all that? That still seems pretty comfy to me for weekend camping trips or heading to the lake for a night for a friend's birthday or something. In another 20 years? We'll see I do have a 67 year-old good friend who regularly sleeps in the back of his truck (same truck as mine), and sleeps on the ground in his tent, no cot. So when I'm complaining about comfort, I think of him. Of course we're all different, but it's a good reminder of how pampered we all are.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #28

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Even though the rivet complaint is purely "strawman", your wish has been granted the deluxe is not assembled with rivets.
I know how rare it is, but I just have visions of the caps flying off one by one as I meander down the highway. I never noticed the non rivets on the deluxe. Gee Floyd, you're really starting to sell me on a 13ft Scamp Deluxe.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Lots of folks have lot of thoughts. This good. But it might not get you any closer to making a decision. Here's a few things to consider.
Cost is generally a big factor. Cost to purchase, cost to use, cost to maintain. I believe those should be considerations.

Second consider your camping experience. If you like to camp and be out in the wilds a smaller trailer could work very nicely. If haven't camped and imagine you're simply moving into a home on wheels then you might want something that's self contained and a bit larger.

We've traveled quite a bit, two of us in a 13' Scamp no bath, no AC. pretty much bare bones. But for us this works great since come into it with a number of years car camping, then 30 years of backpacking.

I've seen single people in a 45' million dollar motor home to a Chrysler town and country mini van full timing.

It take all kinds and in the end you have to decide on what want.
One thing I can tell you, once you get into a campground camp vehicles are NOT considered when making friends. All campers are very friendly.
Good luck with your choices and hopefully our paths will cross someday.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Opinion on best trailer for full timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealster View Post
I know how rare it is, but I just have visions of the caps flying off one by one as I meander down the highway. I never noticed the non rivets on the deluxe. Gee Floyd, you're really starting to sell me on a 13ft Scamp Deluxe.
The deluxe doesn't have rivets, but it does have through-hull screws, and they are dressed up with the same plastic snap caps.

But not to worry, I have never lost one flying down the road. They fit tightly on the washer bases. I did have a couple on top become so dry rotted due to UV exposure that they fell off while in storage. Replacement every 3-5 years is indicated (depending on climate and storage) and takes all of 30 minutes. Mine had gone 8 years in high altitude AZ sun without replacement, so I take all the blame!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #31

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealster View Post
I myself am also planning.on fulltiming. Since the possibility of spending maybe a day or two in freezing weather, or a week or two dry camping will exist for me, I really don't want to deal with a black tank. Porta potty yes, composting maybe. You can always poo and shower at campgrounds etc. That's why I don't want to deal with a bathroom myself. Right now my wife and I have a Coachmen 14FB with shower and black tank toilet. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I have been looking at the Armadillo front dinette model at 13 1/2 feet. You can get it with an outside shower and it comes with an inside porta potty. Some vandwellers use the popup showers. The Armadillo is expensive and it doesn't come with the rivet penetration of the Scamp. The interior of the Armadillo is very modern as opposed to the "1970's East German" look of the Scamp. The Oliver's are even nicer. Look at those if you can find $60,000 in change under your sofa cushions. . IMHO you can't beat the aerodynamics and durability of a fiberglass trailer. My Coachmen trailer will probably rot off the frame after 15 to 20 years. The frame of a fiberglass trailer MAY rot out from under shell in 50 years. You have to find what you are comfortable with.
Hi....I certainly agree with every thing you are sharing....The Armadillo is definitely a fine piece of machinery and very up to date. Some what small but what is small . As long as you have comfort, warmth, ease of mobility we as individuals can make it work very well... I have a 72 Boler...love it . Of course its only me and my little boarder Collie. The ease and comfort is there for us to enjoy immeasurable amounts of time in...Certainly not the upgraded Armadillo, which I find very well built and its Canadian...As for some thing larger to accommodate for a inside shower/toilet and a front dinette area that would be sweet for sure but in the end of the day I am still enjoying the out doors I can still have my privacy the ease of hitching up in a flash and taking off to the next location. Week end jaunts are so ooo easy. I love the idea of fibreglass with no rivets holding inside together. My little Boler has no issues other then minor ones that come with 40 years being on the planet and dealing with undeserving owners here and there and wear and tear from the elements,,The New Aluminum frame thats now under her and new paint job, well that just raised the bar to pride I have for the 72 Boler...Cheers, Dusty
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #32

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
My wife decided.

Our decision was simple. Bigfoot 25 foot twin. Why? My wife thinks it’s wrong to shower and use a toilet in the same place! Separate shower for us. Twin beds you ask? Makes the trailer feel bigger and actually gives more room and storage. Bigfoot is a true 4 season trailer. Insulation is great for both extremes.
Dr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd go for the Escape fifth wheel. Gives you the feeling of two separate rooms with the bedroom up front.
This is what my wife and I are going to full time with starting 2020.
Not to mention, the exchange rate at the time (about a year ago) gave us about a 20% discount, which is up to about 25% or more now.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #34

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
The new northern lite 23 foot trailer looks good. Probably not going to be cheap tho.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You need at least a 40' er for better yet a 45' Rv of your choosing.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #36

Name: Renae
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Minnesota
We have been full-timing for 21 months in a Casita SD, we are in the process of purchasing an Escape 21. We love our casita and when weather is good and we stick to outdoor living it is great. The 2ft table is not enough when weather and bugs keep u inside. I would definitely consider something larger than the Escape 19 with 2 boys. If the plan is just a year or so u might get by with it.
After that the lack of space wears on you.
Renae in MN is offline   Reply With Quote