Permanent Email Address - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
In one of the original posts there was a concern expressed regarding a permeant email address. Using a forwarder eliminates the concern if you need to change an ISP.
Capish
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gmail

Since we purchased android smart phones we've been on g-mail without any issue. We do use multiple passwords, the more critical the information, the more obtuse the password.

For us the most critical information is our banking information. We basically do not use our debit card except at our bank. We virtually charge everything we can and pay it off at the end of the month.

All that said our credit card has been compromised twice in our 14 years of travel (that we know). Our bank caught both charges immediately canceled the purchases and canceled the cards. We inform our bank of our travel schedule and that becomes part of our bank computer profile supporting the bank's effort to prevent fraud.

To our knowledge our contact list has not been compromised. Most of our computer use is over our own secure hotspot. We do not do banking at public hot spots. At public hotspots it's mostly reading and emails.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #23

Name: bartholomew
Trailer: searching
North Carolina
I use 1&1. They can provide you with the domain registration, hosting, and the support is great. They are a USA company so no communication problems. They offer various package s of service. If you decide to drop the web site they can still provide email service. I have been a customer for over 10 years.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have no problem with a hacker getting my password and reading my mail. They are welcome to it.
I have separate passwords for my banking etc. and I don't do financial transactions over public WiFi.
U.S. and Canada governments are two of the biggest hackers around.
If the bad guys have your e-mail password, they can impersonate you and change your banking password.

Be careful out there!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
If the bad guys have your e-mail password, they can impersonate you and change your banking password.

Be careful out there!

-- Dan Meyer
My email password is unique and only for email. My banking passwords are all different. Also if I need to reset a banking password all by financial institutions ask at least two questions that only I would know the answer to. Impersonating me would not cause problems.
The only impersonating I've ever heard of was you used to be able to change the from to any email address. Created some confusing situations. But no real harm.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I am going to replace my cable provider with Millenicom and that got me thinking. When I cancel my cable, I will lose the email address that is tied to everything online that requires an email address.

I would rather not use something like gmail or yahoo for security reasons. I plan on creating a web site, so one option is to create an email account(s) tied to that web site. The main drawback to that is if I decide to cancel the web site, I lose the email account unless I want to pay to continue the domain and hosting service. Maybe not that big a deal.

I could use some ideas; but for security purposes, please be careful about how you word things.

Thanks

There's a number of options. If you want to do a web site for the sake of doing a web site most web hosts have email available. I pay less that $5.00 per month for my web site hosting and can have up to 99 email addresses. Which I could forward to another email address. However I can also get my email direct. I haven't been using those email accounts but I have been using earthlink. I've changed ISP several time but maintained the same email address and get my email direct using either web mail or Thunderbird.
All you need to do is connect to the internet, it doesn't matter whether it's McDonalds, or some other free wife, or my home ISP the mail still comes direct to my computer.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I like to have email accounts I can control, although GMail is good it can be hard to get a resonable name, something that I could remember. As Byron mentioned, buying your own domain name and having it hosted is not expensive. I personall own 4 domains where I can create multiple email accounts and use different account for diferent purposes. These can also be accessed from anywhere there is an internet connection.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have used gmail for over 5 years now. Never a problem! I have a computer geek friend who cracks up anytime someone brings up security! There is no such thing , unless you stay completely off the internet! Sooooooo, just be diligent in your passwords and hope for the best!

As for personal stuff such as banking etc, I have always been told to use a separate computer from the one you use to browse forums, websites, FB, etc. Makes sense, since most play on the computer longer than they do business on the computer. But again, just be diligent with your passwords.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I have used gmail for over 5 years now. Never a problem! I have a computer geek friend who cracks up anytime someone brings up security! There is no such thing , unless you stay completely off the internet! Sooooooo, just be diligent in your passwords and hope for the best!

As for personal stuff such as banking etc, I have always been told to use a separate computer from the one you use to browse forums, websites, FB, etc. Makes sense, since most play on the computer longer than they do business on the computer. But again, just be diligent with your passwords.

Use of a dedicated computer is probably not really necessary. Our banks know our computers and don't let access without jumping through hoops if there are attempts from an unknown computer. When we've changed computers it does take a while to get to where we don't get a phone call when attempting to access our bank account.

As far as hacking is concerned, hackers aren't interested in a single account, they want thousands. That's why you hear about Target and Home Depot and large number of accounts at risk. The risk vs possible gain to hack a single account are just to high and requires too much work.

The biggest thing you can do when purchasing or banking on line is to make sure you're on an https site. (https://www.xxxx.xxx NOT XXX.xxx - Official .XXX Directory)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #30

Name: Christian
Trailer: 2014 EggCamper
All over TX and NM
I personally wouldn't put any more stock into the security of your cable provider than I would with something like GMail. In fact, I am far more skeptical of Comcast or whatever than I am of Google. Google actually has competition, and therefore cares about your security to a great extent. What they use your personal info for as far as targeting ads etc. is a separate issue, but their systems are rather secure in my experience. I haven't used my free ISP e-mail address on any account since I was with Earthlink (LOL) back in the late 90s.

I have been using GMail since the invite-only days, about 12 years ago with no incident. I have a separate account for anything that I have to register for online, and a separate account for personal and sensitive e-mail that is basically just an account that sees a lot less traffic and is less susceptible to spammers.

If you want something that is totally off the radar and permanent just to you, set up a domain name and get an e-mail account through it. I have been using iPower for my domain registrations for a decade now and have been really happy with them. Once you have a domain, you can set up unlimited e-mail boxes that no one is likely to ever have any desire or inclination to hack to read your mail. It's a really good system, and will cost you $16 per year for the peace of mind.

If you go that route, it's really easy to set up your accounts on your computer e-mail client like Outlook / Thunderbird / Mac mail, on your smart phone, or via the web on any computer.
C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #31

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
To help prevent my real e-mail address from getting in the hands of the bad guys and spammers I have used a site called spammotel.com. It creates a cryptic e-mail address for use when a web site just absolutely must have your e-mail address, you give out this address instead. They forward the emails to you without the sending party event getting your real address. You can create a separate note for each address that serves as a reminder of where that particular address was used. It started out as a free service but like many great things it is now a subscription service.

Of course this is only as good as how one uses it, and all it takes is for a hack like what happened at Chase and all bets are off. I am currently being buried in spam because I trusted their security. 😡

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Byron, I'm not a hacker and not interested in a single account. Whats your personal information, bank and account number.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I queried "Millenicom" just now and see that on 10/16/14 they were bought up by Verizon. No matter what the technology and how widespread, all soon becomes the "Big Three".