Products and prep for full timing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #21

Name: Daphne
Trailer: Scamp
Decatur
My take on propane tanks, especially since I’m not big on gadgets if they can be avoided: I’ve always had two tanks. I DON’T link them. I want to know when one runs out so I can start looking for place to refill or trade in. If they’re linked, then you can empty both and have no backup. Worst thing that’s happened is running out while cooking. No problem. Switch to other tank. I guess a worse scenario would be losing propane to fridge, but My Dometic one blinks to let me know, so if the fridge has been closed the food should be ok for a few hours.
Daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #22

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
I was told to buy cans of wasp spray for safety. The stream shoots out far.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
Thanks for all the great advice and leads. This community is always helpful. Anyone who wants to add more, your advice is most welcome and again, thank you to those of you who have taken the time to reply already.
Would consider that you maybe rent out your condo as you never know
how circumstances may change . Real-estate will always go up and you won't see it come down. Look into an agency to look after it for you. Not if but when the day comes that full timing comes to an end then you have something to go back to. And there is the selling commissions to think of.
On the other hand; campers, vehicles and all the other necessities go down in price with depreciation.
For the 12v extensions for air compressors and other accessories ; you can loose voltage as the wire is too small a gauge and may not work as designed. If an air pump is what is high on your list ;get one with a manual gauge ; not electronic as the electronic ones can be way off as I found out by 10 psi on mine and had to let out the excess air out....wasted time and energy. As suggested propane gauges are useless with a two tank system.
Keep one turned off and just use the one till empty and then manually switch over......next stop same day so you don't gotget... a propane fill station. Works as the best tank gauge. Not sure if you run 20 or 30 pound tanks but of 30 pounders fit use them. If you use exchange tank systems ; you will pay too much for your fill as there is a third party taking a profit.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #24

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Bigfoot 30C10.11
Washington
Welcome Debbie in Florida, I got a fixer upper last summer and nothing worked in it so have pretty much go thru and fixed everything on my Bigfoot truck camper. Casita or camper they are mostly all the same. You might have a 2 burner stove or a smaller frig but they all operate about the same way. There is a lot to learn and it can be taken in steps so its easy to learn and not get over whelmed. I have fixed many items

then winter hit in the Pacific Northwest and I headed down south thru the west coast and ended up at the great RV winter grounds. Quartzsite Arizona for the winter. I fixed the most important things first and figured the rest out there as there are many RV shops and parts there in the small town. I learned more then any video or book could teach me on the art of Boondocking. Living out in the desert on BLM land with permit for $180 that is good for 7 months. Oct. 15th thru April 15th. Now I am summering back home in the mountains in Central Washington and planning on returning to Arizona late October. What that trip taught me is I can try to prepare and try to understand living off the grid but when you do it a few things become clear. I brought to much stuff, I all adds up and traveling as light as possible is best for the rv and the tow vehicle. I didn't need a propane gauge, I did not need a air compressor, a can of fix a flat was all I need if I woke up to a flat tire. Anyway ask anything and I tell you what I did. I learned a lot from the surrounding Boondocking RVers as there were maybe 50,000 camped there in that valley in December and January and over half boondocked and never visited the local RV parks. Myself included.
Tomcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The switch over from the empty tank to full is automatic. Much better than getting up in the middle of the night to do it manually. There is an indicator that tells you you have an empty tank. If you can read the gas gauge in your vehicle, you can read the indicator. Red means empty. You turn the pointer to the full tank, close the valve and disconnect the empty tank and take it in to be filled.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #26

https://www.quora.com/Is-Fix-a-Flat-bad-for-tires
That's why you carry a spare; for the trailer as well as the tow vehicle .
Old 07-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Instead of Pepper Spray, keep a can of Wasp/Hornet spray handy in the RV. It is effective and usually has a spray stream that will reach up to 25 feet. Also not illegal to have anywhere.
Enjoy your travels.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #28

Name: Don
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Right now, I want to get a portable air compressor. Any suggestions on good brands?

We have a few 18V battery powered Ryobi tools (drills, saw, fan, etc.) including an air inflator. We check the TV and trailer tire air pressure frequently and use the Ryobi with great success.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P747/308746324

I was thinking about getting a propane gas gauge but wondered if that would interfere with the Casita feature of linking the tanks so when one tank empties it goes to the next tank automatically?

We did not have a gauge on our Casita with dual propane tanks. After a while, you just geta sense of how fast you use one 20# tank. I would just disconnect it and check it manually.

I would like to get something like pepper spray or something similar and would welcome any advise on that.

The pepper spray is a good idea. As is a taser. And invoking your 2nd amendment right to carry a firearm. Get whatever your state's equivalent concealed carry permit would be. Take some gun usage classes. Carry it. Personally, I like revolvers for their simplicity. The Ruger LCR is a great concealed carry choice. It comes in 5 different caliber options.

Initially, I will be visiting friends and wondered about getting an adapter so I can use their house electricity. I would welcome anyone's advice on using house electricity.

Having multiple dog bones (50A to 30A and 30A to 20A) is almost a must. They work anyplace you have access to shore power but the shore power connection does not have 30A service.

I have bought a clam for buggy places, put in extra scissor jacks and did a few other modifications to the Casita. All suggestions welcomed since to date my camping experience with my Casita is just about 10 days....my tent camping experience is longer but those days are over!

1. install a water cutoff valve behind the toilet (assuming you have a Deluxe model).
2. Solar? Even if its just one or two portable panels, to be able to re-charge the house battery if you do not have shore power.
3. We always have a gallon bottle of water in the bathroom in case we have to stop on the road to use the Casita's toilet. That way you do not deplete your fresh water tank, or have to turn on the pump just to flush and wash your hands.
4. Set up the closet so it works for you. It is your most valuable and biggest storage space, and the one space in the Casita that is really a blank canvas. [We revamped ours 4 times before we made it "right" for us.]

Good Luck and Safe Travels!
kolocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #29

Name: Bo
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
I would check out Creativity RV on youtube as Robin has a video on nearly everything and she is a single woman who travels alone. She has a blog by the same name and wrote a book about Nomads.....which is what she calls one who lives/travels in their "home". One of the things I like is she does some comparison video's when she is contemplating a purchase. I just watched one this week on e-bikes and she had 3 different models.
boborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
In my experience, changing a tire on my Casita is my most likely problem. I advise that you practice changing a tire before you leave home! Tires can look great but still be rotted and I vividly remember one of my very first trips where I lost both tires and the spare!

The first thing I discovered was that the lug wrench that came with the trailer would not allow me to remove the spare. Then I found that the lug wrench would slip off of the lug nut when I tried to remove the tire. Not to mention that the jack for my tow vehicle did a lousy job of lifting the Casita. If I were doing my first trip over again, I would practice changing the tires before I left home!

Do not use wasp spray for self-defense. That is not only ineffective, it is illegal because you are using it in a manner for which it is not intended nor tested. If you spray someone with wasp insecticide you can spend the rest of your life paying for their medical bills and their "pain and suffering" even if you were using it to defend yourself! It will only take a couple of seconds on Google to learn why wasp spray is not a good self-defense tool.

In the same vein, if you are not already familiar with the use of a firearm, do not carry one. If you are trained with a firearm, then make certain you are very familiar with the laws of the state where you will be traveling and that you carry self-defense insurance. Firearms are political hot potatoes and, even using one in self-defense will most likely land you in deep and expensive trouble. Also, remember that a travel trailer is not bulletproof. It will not protect you from a determined attacker. Do not go anywhere you feel uncomfortable. If you find yourself in a scary situation for any reason, get in your tow vehicle and leave even if you have to abandon your trailer.

I now live in my 16' Casita full-time. When I stay where there is no 30 amp electrical outlet, I use an adapter that I picked up at Walmart for a few bucks. Any outlet you use should be ground-fault protected.

If you need an extension cord to reach the outlet then make certain it is a heavy-duty cord. Heavy-duty extension cords are relatively expensive but easy to find at Lowes and Home Depot. I regularly use a 50' heavy-duty extension when I am staying at my home base. That is adequate to run the AC, refrigerator, microwave, my computer, and all of the lights in the Casita.

Congratulations on beginning your adventure!
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ivy View Post
In my experience, changing a tire on my Casita is my most likely problem. I advise that you practice changing a tire before you leave home! Tires can look great but still be rotted and I vividly remember one of my very first trips where I lost both tires and the spare!

The first thing I discovered was that the lug wrench that came with the trailer would not allow me to remove the spare. Then I found that the lug wrench would slip off of the lug nut when I tried to remove the tire. Not to mention that the jack for my tow vehicle did a lousy job of lifting the Casita. If I were doing my first trip over again, I would practice changing the tires before I left home.
If you need an extension cord to reach the outlet then make certain it is a heavy-duty cord. Heavy-duty extension cords are relatively expensive but easy to find at Lowes and Home Depot. I regularly use a 50' heavy-duty extension when I am staying at my home base. That is adequate to run the AC, refrigerator, microwave, my computer, and all of the lights in the Casita.

Congratulations on beginning your adventure!
I might add to what Jim said about tire wrenches . Make sure the one you use for the car and trailer is a better breaker bar type ( 2 foot) with a small 6 inch extension on the end and then get a pair of sockets ; one to fit the trailer and one for the tow vehicle . The factory stuff is usually junk.

With regard to "heavy duty" extension cords ; that is just a word they use today and it could just mean the insulation is thicker or made of rubber instead of plastic. Look for the gauge number of the wiring and the longer you get the heavier the wire. Extension cords can run anywhere from 16 to 18 gauge. If you are looking at 50 feet get at least 12 gauge minimum
14 gauge.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #32

Name: George
Trailer: Titanium
South Carolina
You might want to consider a marine flare gun vs wasp & hornet spray. It is considered a safety device vs a firearm. I'm just seeding a thought here, you will need to do your own risk/benefit assessment.
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #33

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
practice makes perfect.

If you want to have the stuff to change your tire then you should practice changing your tire. Find out if you can do it and if what you have will do it. I got a one of these when they were on a great sale.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...629-c-9072.htm

I have used it for maintenance but never in the field for me. Have loaned it out at some camp grounds a few times. I am a very able male and still would not want to trust my ability to take the nuts off and even more so to put them back.

As far as the pepper stray. I do have a carry permit and use it within my state some. I am one of the few people you will probably ever talk to who has ever had to use his carry weapon. Luckily didn't have to fire did have to have it out. But that would never work for traveling. I also have a taser type flashlight. That would probably be better for anything except bears. Something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/VIPERTEK-VT...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also your best protection is having people know where you are going and keeping track of you. As a ham radio operator I run APRS and I have friends who do track me for fun when I am on the road.

I always carry an outlet tester and a kill-a-watt. The second is a meter that tells you how much your camper really is taking. That will tell you what kind of circuit you can plug into at your friend's house.

Before I was to do the full time thing I would try it a bit more than 10 days.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #34

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
I always carry an ... a kill-a-watt. ... a meter that tells you how much your camper really is taking. That will tell you what kind of circuit you can plug into at your friend's house....
Keep in mind that the "Kill-A-Watt" is limited to 15 amps and it can be destroyed if you use it with a 20 amp house outlet and a camper that can handle 30 amps (or more). It is a very useful device to see how much current the camper is using but it must be used with caution and common sense to avoid burning it out. I would never use it with a roof A/C. For most other things such as the converter charging a depleted battery, a microwave, a toaster oven, etc... I would use one thing a a time and record the reading on the "Kill-A-Watt". Then do the math so that when using the camper (but not including the Kill-A-Watt) you stay under the lowest value of the power source, the wiring or any extension cord, and any adapter. Often that limit will 15 amps, and sometimes less.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
12 gauge wire would be the minimum for a 50' run. Remember that wire gauge is inverse to the wire size. A 12 gauge wire is larger than 14 gauge wire. The longer the run, the smaller gauge (thicker wire) you should use.

My spare tire is mounted to the trailer by two long bolts that extend from the back of my trailer. The bolts are so long that I cannot use the same lug wrench that I use to mount the tires on the axle. Be sure that you have tools that will allow you to take the spare down from where it is normally carried.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #36

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Keep in mind that the "Kill-A-Watt" is limited to 15 amps and it can be destroyed if you use it with a 20 amp house outlet and a camper that can handle 30 amps (or more). It is a very useful device to see how much current the camper is using but it must be used with caution and common sense to avoid burning it out. I would never use it with a roof A/C. For most other things such as the converter charging a depleted battery, a microwave, a toaster oven, etc... I would use one thing a a time and record the reading on the "Kill-A-Watt". Then do the math so that when using the camper (but not including the Kill-A-Watt) you stay under the lowest value of the power source, the wiring or any extension cord, and any adapter. Often that limit will 15 amps, and sometimes less.

Weird I have significantly exceeded this with mine. That is how I found some problems at a couple job sites. Well the most was right at 25 amps. From a circuit that was supposed to be for 15 amps. Someone had "fixed a problem" by jumpering two breakers together. And somehow that "worked". Danged well not supposed to. But the voltage drop was killing the system. Of course this was all done by magic and nobody ever knew who did it.

Also have found some breakers tied closed. Again that is not supposed to "work" but it was.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #37

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
Be mindful of friends who have an HOA. Are they allowed a trailer? For how long?
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #38

Name: K
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
Hi All, This thread looks great and I can't wait to delve in. Whether or not I succeed to sell my condo, I plan to full time travel in my Casita 17 ft trailer for an indefinite time. I am looking at products I want to purchase, mainly to assure my safety since I am a single female who is not mechanically inclined or "fix it" person.

Right now, I want to get a portable air compressor. Any suggestions on good brands?

I am planning to install a back up camera on the Casita and think a wireless one would be the best and easiest based on the little exploring I have done. Ideas? Recommendations on brands? (I did read another thread on this and found different opinions on the value of then, but not too much on recommended brands).

I was thinking about getting a propane gas gauge but wondered if that would interfere with the Casita feature of linking the tanks so when one tank empties it goes to the next tank automatically?

I would like to get something like pepper spray or something similar and would welcome any advise on that.

Initially, I will be visiting friends and wondered about getting an adapter so I can use their house electricity. I would welcome anyone's advice on using house electricity.

I have bought a clam for buggy places, put in extra scissor jacks and did a few other modifications to the Casita.

All suggestions welcomed since to date my camping experience with my Casita is just about 10 days....my tent camping experience is longer but those days are over!

Thanks in advance and as I said, I welcome and advise regarding preparing even if not related to these products.
In respectfully suggest that you give serious consideration to understanding how to deal with moisture. Having lived in a trailer full time for a year, I can say moisture is one of the biggest challenges of full time rving.
KBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #39

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
I am a single woman and I've been full-timing for over two years, in Canada where guns are not so common. I've taken a couple of self-defense courses and they train you on how to avoid a situation. If someone attacks you, it can be so sudden you don't have time to grab a weapon or spray. And other writers are right - it can easily be taken from you. It's better to know how to assess and avoid a dangerous situation. I think an RV park is the safest place for a woman! People will respect your privacy, yet are close enough to discourage anyone with bad intentions. And RV parks invariably have a community spirit of helpfulness. Here's my advice:
- get a dog. Even a small one will be a deterrence. Plus walking the dog will allow you to meet new people, a good way to learn about the area you are in.
- plan your travel well ahead of time so you don't find yourself on a lonely road
- travel only during the day
- get a Davis Instruments Air Dryer (Amazon) to help deal with moisture, especially in storage areas.
- take the doors off any storage areas below bench seats or the bed so air can circulate
- keep the windows open a bit even in cold weather
- use the ceiling fan all the time
- try not to boil water for cooking - use the microwave, oven, or barbeque instead
- make your outdoors area under the awning comfortable so you can spend lots of time there
- keep the condo because you never know what will happen in the future. Pay someone to manage it for you. They usually charge 10% of the rent, well worth it.
- I paid for a lesson on towing at a truck-driving school and my teacher gave me great hints, like GOAL - "get out and look". You can also buy a set of two yellow balls on telescoping sticks, that you put on your hitch and the trailer tongue, that will help you hook up without a camera. You just line up the balls, and voila.
- How far to back up? Measure how far you have to go and then make a mark on the ground outside the driver's door and another mark (or stone or stick) the same distance away. Stick your foot out to line up with the first mark and then slowly back up until your foot reaches the second mark.
- If the ball isn't quite in place, drive forward a tiny bit that that often will plunk the ball into place. Be careful doing this. With practice you will get the feel of it.
- I put used toilet paper in a paper bag next to the toilet to prevent build-up in the black tank. (It's not as gross as it sounds.)
- you can store stuff, like paper towels and toilet paper, in your tow vehicle which will save space in your trailer
- you can also use plastic tubs that sit under your trailer for storage. When you leave, you put them in the trailer and then take them out when you set up. Gives you a lot more storage.
- I put my laundry inside a nice big cushion cover.
- Instead of a queen bed, I installed a twin and had extra space for storage.
- Have fun!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"get a Davis Instruments Air Dryer (Amazon) to help deal with moisture, especially in storage areas."

This device warms the air so that it can contain more moisture. It doesn't remove moisture. If it did remove moisture, it would have some container for the moisture. It's a low wattage heater.