Questions for the FT experts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Questions for the FT experts

I have a few questions for the experts.

1. I need more towel racks. Any recommendations?
2. Does anyone use the output of the furnace for drying cloths?
3. Is anyone using electric blankets while boon-docking?
4. Propane consumption while boondocking. How long does a filled 20lb bottle of propane (not a Home Depot short fill bottle) last for refrigeration, hot water, and cooking? (when the furnace is not needed)
5. Anyone doing rainwater collection? If so what do you use to collect water?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This stainless rack holds four towels and can fold out of the way when not in use.
GRUNDTAL Towel holder with 4 bars - IKEA
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I could spend $1,000,000 in Ikea saving so much money on less expensive "necessities".
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
1. We just use hooks, as you can get way more towels along a given length of wall if required. We have one bar of hooks on the outside of the bathroom door, and a whole bunch of individual ones that hook over cabinet doors.
2. We don't use it direct, but it is not far from where we hang things. You do have to make certain you exhaust any moist air created.
3. Never used and electric blanket, and don't really like the idea. Besides, I boondock mostly and don't want to spare the power. Instead we use comfy sheets, a woolen blanket, and a fluffy down duvet. Or of course, any combo of those depending upon temps. We set our nighttime temp for the furnace at 8°C, and would go lower, but condensation becomes an issue. I MUCH prefer snuggling with momma to warm up, than the idea of an electric blanket.
4. Hard to say how long a tank will last, it all depends on usage, including furnace, hot water, and cooking. I would say we get an average of 10 days out of one. We have two, and it seems like we only fill a couple times a year, tops.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Now don't laugh, but I bought Martha Stewart Dog Towels for myself... even came with wash cloths. They've got cute puppy feet on them and I don't own a dog! But, they dry quickly. Far quicker than a terry cloth towel. They're soft. The ONLY problem, is it feels like drying with a chamois. But they do what they're supposed to do and I like the fact they're bone dry in a couple of hours. Even when it's damp and cold out. YMMV

Here's a link to a diferent brand (30" L X 48" W): Rinse Ace Microfiber Towel and it doesn't look they're imprinted with dog paws
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
This stainless rack holds four towels and can fold out of the way when not in use.
GRUNDTAL Towel holder with 4 bars - IKEA
Eddie
IKEA has tons of stuff, not only for outfitting but for remodeling FGRV's. Here's some of the IKEA items I have used.
Counter tops
Round s.s. sinks
single handle kitchen faucets
laminated flooring
curtain tracks & trucks
mattresses, pillows & cushions
bedding
upholstery fabrics
drawers
LED Lighting

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I second what Donna said about the micro fiber towels. We picked up some from a backpacking store. They take up very little room, & dry very quickly. They even have quick drying wash cloths. Having a small 13' scamp requires us to save space & weight whenever possible. We installed an IKEA towel rack on our entry door.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I have a few questions for the experts.

1. I need more towel racks. Any recommendations?
2. Does anyone use the output of the furnace for drying cloths?
3. Is anyone using electric blankets while boon-docking?
4. Propane consumption while boondocking. How long does a filled 20lb bottle of propane (not a Home Depot short fill bottle) last for refrigeration, hot water, and cooking? (when the furnace is not needed)
5. Anyone doing rainwater collection? If so what do you use to collect water?
Not a FT but do a lot of boondocking.

Umbra makes some pretty nice hooks of hanging towels. You can find them at most home decorating type stores.

I have used the furnace for drying clothing if its not nice enough outside to hang them from the awning. Here on the wet coast the furnace is used often to dry off coats etc.

No electric blanket for me.... to power hungry .

Propane consumption is going to vary from trailer to trailer and person to person. I have gotten by for 2 weeks and still come home with some left over in a 20lb tank. My fridge is pretty small and it is easy on gas. I do cook morning meals inside but evenings are 50/50 as I like to use the BQ (has a separate 10lb tank) if the weather is good. I do use the hot water tank for showers & dishes everyday but tend not to leave it running 24/7. I also use the furnace sparingly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I like to use "mechanical"suction cup hooks to hang towels and other things. To dry our towels we put them on top of our supplies in the back seat of the tow vehicle. On sunny days they dry quickly.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will echo the Ikea recommendations. I have found many inexpensive space saving things there. The only problem I have with Ikea is

"Help, I've gone to Ikea and I can't get out!"
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
I have a RV sleeping bag.It has velcro sheets inside that can be easily removed to wash. This bag is made with two different thicknesses of cover. One side is thin down for the summer and the other is thick for winter. I bought it at the RV show in Quartzsite a few years ago. I was there last year and they still sell them. I have never been cold in it while camping on the high dessert in the winter. If you want I can get the name of the company. It is not cheap, around $150, but it works. We don't use the heater at night!
Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #12

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Lots of good advice here--especially the towel rack info--because need that the most.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For reasons I can't explain I've found the suction cups fail when the temperature drops. I've had better luck with the 3M Command hooks. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
For reasons I can't explain I've found the suction cups fail when the temperature drops. I've had better luck with the 3M Command hooks. Raz
I haven't had great success with the suction cup type either. Noted they did fall down over the winter as well as when traveling in the summer. I do like to use them on the outside of the trailer on a temp bases when set up in camp though for hanging dog leashes and dirty towels etc.

A product that a lot of people in this area are starting to use instead of the suction cup type are called Jimmy Hooks. They leave no marks on the walls and I have not had one fall off yet. I have found them to be able to hold more than what the packaging suggests as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #15

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
I have a RV sleeping bag.It has velcro sheets inside that can be easily removed to wash... It is not cheap, around $150, but it works. We don't use the heater at night!
Frank
I would be interested to learn about these. The ones I have seen are more expensive. Thanks!
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cheaper is to buy two sleeping bags that are the same so they can be zipped together, one a 3lb. and one 5lb. Gives you a choice of what's the top.
Doesn't have sheets, but easy to throw in the clothes washer and dryer.
Should cost you less than $100.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #17

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Cheaper is to buy two sleeping bags that are the same so they can be zipped together, one a 3lb. and one 5lb. Gives you a choice of what's the top.
Doesn't have sheets, but easy to throw in the clothes washer and dryer.
Should cost you less than $100.
Thanks Glenn. I really like the idea of the removable sheets though. I was thinking of trying to make something myself, but by the time I buy all the parts, $150 sounds pretty reasonable.

Leslie
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Quote:
I really like the idea of the removable sheets though.
An inexpensive duvet cover ( KRÅKRIS Duvet cover and pillowcase(s) - Twin - IKEA ) pushed into a sleeping bag would give you the same feeling. And you could use the duvet on a bed when not camping.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #19

Registry
You can buy sleeping bag liners of many types at REI.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Drying towels?

I say "Air Dry". Used to be called "streaking".
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote