Scamp hunting in the UK - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Suzy
Trailer: in le market!
West Malling
Talking Scamp hunting in the UK

I'm 21 and live in the UK. I really want a little 13 ft scamp but I've struggled to find one here in the UK so if you have one and if you EVER want to sell it please let me know! I really want to go travelling around the world for a bit with a small trailer as my only company.

Currently, I'm training to be a Maths teacher - I've just graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a degree in Chemistry, but to be honest it all feels like too much too soon - hence the travelling needs. Obviously at the moment I can't be going anywhere, but that makes this the perfect opportunity for research.

I would be so grateful to hear about anyone's experience with a Scamp and how practical you think it would be to travel around in longer term. I think if I bought one I would like to install a log fired stove and solar panel (the essentials - obviously!)
suzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyg View Post
I would like to install a log fired stove)

Best go back to school. The pluses and minuses don't add up.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Suzy, maybe the way to go would be to start your travels where Scamps are most plentiful, like North America. With a little preplanning you could purchase one and either purchase or rent a tow vehicle to get started. If North America isn’t on your itinerary finding one and having it shipped to you might be a workable solution.

Good luck in your travels.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
http://www.gizmag.com/barefoot-carav...ing-egg/39959/

Check this out. Built in the U.K. Too.
Jheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
Check this out. Built in the U.K. Too.
Not sure about the UK cost of living difference from the US/Canada but that little puppy (16.7 feet) goes for £21,950 which includes VAT (approx. US$33,600).
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Scamping.....Camping . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyg View Post
I'm 21 and live in the UK. I really want a little 13 ft scamp but I've struggled to find one here in the UK so if you have one and if you EVER want to sell it please let me know! I really want to go travelling around the world for a bit with a small trailer as my only company.

Currently, I'm training to be a Maths teacher - I've just graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a degree in Chemistry, but to be honest it all feels like too much too soon - hence the travelling needs. Obviously at the moment I can't be going anywhere, but that makes this the perfect opportunity for research.

I would be so grateful to hear about anyone's experience with a Scamp and how practical you think it would be to travel around in longer term. I think if I bought one I would like to install a log fired stove and solar panel (the essentials - obviously!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello SuzieG, I'm DavidG in Calif. I believe West Malling is in Kent area, I've camped there and other areas of the UK. And friends and I rode motorcycles all around the top of Scotland, me towing a trailer with all of our camping gear. Scotland is an amazing place with wonderful people, but no more friendly than the US and Canada. Someone suggested getting a Scamp in the US as a starting point. I concur : whether new or used it would be the cheape$t place to start, and living costs are cheaper here. And used car prices are reasonable, you could buy a car with dents and scratches that could still be cheap and hopefully reliable. But to go even all around Canada and the US you should have a fairly new and reliable car capable of towing. Maybe $8,000+ for the car and about the same for a 13' scamp. Solar would be advisable, but some folding panels might be sufficient for a 13'. ( I have a 13' Scamp) We have posted on here about a woodstove in a 13', find the posts, it is highly impractical. If you posted on here for quite a while you could make Scamp friends and I'll bet get an invitation to camp here and there. Like my place in Sonora, near Yosemite and not far from the ocean, the cities, the desert..But distances here are large, when I drove my fiberglas Toyota Chinook mini motorhome twice to Maine and back through Canada it was over 11,000 mi each time. Sooo, tell us more about Scotland, your plans, your questions. . .Nice Scampers and others will have lots of ideas. Caio ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamps are great little trailers, a little rough around the edges (materials and finishes are pretty basic), but functional and easily customizable. We enjoy ours. We don't use it for long-term travel and living, but if I were 21 and unattached again, I might!

"Around the world"... A trailer pretty much confines you to one continent. You could, as others have suggested, buy one here, use it to tour North America, and have it shipped to the UK when you're done.

It won't be cheap. They're in high demand here, so prices are high and availability is limited. You'll have to purchase a tow vehicle, which you'll have to turn around and sell when you return. You'll pay shipping and import fees. Once it gets there you will have to convert the electrical system to 240V. The door and utility connections will be inconveniently reversed when using campgrounds in the UK. If camping without hookups, Scamp's 12V system is rudimentary and will require additional investment to make it self-sufficient.

I know a person that installed a Cubic Mini woodstove in his 13' Boler (just like Scamp), and it has worked well for him through three northern winters. However, he has it parked in one place as a semi-permanent home, and fuel wood is readily available locally. It requires a lot of off-season work to prep the wood because it uses such small pieces. For nomadic use, carting a supply around seems impractical (and likely violates local rules intended to prevent introduction of invasive species). Finding good quality, locally sourced fuel wood on the fly could be problematic. Propane heat is simple and cleaner burning.

Honestly, renting a car and tent camping seems more practical for your world travels. Then look for a small camping trailer in the UK after you're settled into a job. If you're really set on a Scamp, you might be able to rent one for a few days while you're here to test the waters and decide whether it's worth the trouble to import one later.

Best wishes as you formulate your plans! Another maths teacher here! My first year teaching (1984) I lived in a remote location in a Scamp-sized, wood-framed trailer. I visited Edinburgh as a student in 1981. My most vivid recollection was getting stuck in the wee hours of a January night at a small rural train station and spending several hours in an overheated office with the station master whose brogue was thicker than his cigar smoke.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

Name: Vicki
Trailer: in market
California
Hello. We are an American couple who have spent 3-9 months a year for last 11 years traveling UK and Europe in a camping car. You can save a ton of money if you go that route instead of a trailer. We wildcamped all over and spent less than $400 a month on camping fees by staying in camper stops and lots of free places even in UK. Most of those places do not allow trailers. Most of the monthly costs were when we were visiting big cities. Also it is safer as you can just drive off without leaving vehicle. Our budgets and where we went are at our website TheRoadGoesEverOn. We also shipped a camper from US to Germany and it was only $1500. Our current camper is a 5.4 Ducato we bought in Amsterdam. It has solar, furnace, and an international LPG tank. It is stored near Edinburgh and for sale at a low price. We are in our mid 70s and it looks like the virus will keep us in the States for a pretty long while. Let me know if you're interested in seeing the camper.
vicki7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp