Sign of the times: Fulltiming out of necessity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I noticed on my recent trip quite a few people in SP's in the mid-west that appeared to be, maybe, homeless. It was all the stuff they had that made them appear to not be normal campers. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
This wasn't 1 or 2 sites but quite a few. Most were tenters also.
you're probably right ... whilst 'camping' in my van, (after my forest fire), I saw people living in their cars, almost everywhere I parked overnite ... I'm a retired trucker, have seen that before, but rarely, not to this current extent ...
Jimmy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a link to a recent article about a proposed "Car Camp" in the Seattle, WA area. The proposal looks like it's going through.
Car camps could house Seattle's homeless
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
after the fires here in 03, RVs on the highway were a common sight after the evacs were lifted. You knew they were living there, and they did not seem to be moved along, but slowly the #s dwindled. I suspect after the displaced acquired more traditional housing.

With the impending loss of one of my pups, I can start thinking about moving the rig closer to work and fulltiming to save money and commute time.. coming home on weekends if I chose.

Having done the opposite recently (Living in the trailer for 3 days a week on weekends) I have a pretty good taste of what it would be like, and I have no problem with it at all. Without hook ups, no less, for me, it is not a difficult life. Water and waste storage/disposal is the only real inconvenience for me, and even then, it only takes a few minutes every few days. Certainly less time than maintaining a traditional house day to day.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Certainly less time than maintaining a traditional house day to day.
Tell me about it, I just spent 8 hours working in my friggin' yard getting it ready for winter. Between the spring cleanup and the winter prep, I'm ready to get the chain saw out, then asphalt the whole yard! (The best tree is a stump )
Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Tell me about it, I just spent 8 hours working in my friggin' yard
This is not to be confused with a "regular yard."

Ok, I'm off to my room....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I actually knew folks in BulgeMobiles who carried weed-whackers and power blowers so they could keep their sites clean -- Takes all kinds...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #27

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
...I'm ready to get the chain saw out, then asphalt the whole yard!...
If you do, Donna, you'll be runnin' with some fine company. I once read that the NASA Rocket Guy, Werner Von Braun, hated yard work and paved his entire yard with green colored cement.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
paved his entire yard with green colored cement.
Then paint it white for winter... I like that idea
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #29

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
In 1987 while going through a divorce, I decided to "full time" so as not to have to carry a mortgage and apartment rent, buy furniture etc. etc. etc. I found a '70 Airstream Safari Special 23' and moved into a "trailer park" in San Diego. It was an interesting experience. Some of my neighbors were "normal" folks doing what I was doing. Some were retirees following the sun. Some were itinerant tradesmen following construction work. Some were "on the run" from the law. A surprising number were mentally ill or otherwise less than competent. One of my neighbors (a woman) flew out of her trailer one afternoon screaming that she'd been robbed. When I calmed her down and found out that she hadn't been confronted, she just claimed that someone had been in here trailer. I asked how she knew, and she told me "they" had been visiting her regularly and beaming things into her head, and she knew "they'd" been there because the thread she'd left on the screen door to her patio was missing.

I went back to my Airstream without comment and left the rest of the folks gathered around her to be her audience.

As an observer of the human condition, it was a fascinating place to live. Things really haven't changed all that much in twenty years.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Full timing is not a new thing, the concept has been growing in numbers for years. But fulltimeing out of "have to" is a sad reality of our times. But I think why it's so easily done in these times is that for the last 20 some years the idea of being free to journey where you want has made the idea something a lot of people dream to do. Now because thats the only way they can afford to live, it's not such a awful thing and it's a great alternative to a homeless shelter or under a bridge. Too bad the people who have to, won't be able to afford the gas to journey. But hopefully they will be safe and warm. When Dh and I owned the Rv park (seasonal) I would venture to guess that a majority of our guest were full timers probabaly 70%. Our park was built for big rigs so that was mostly what we got in so we saw a lot living the journey, because they wanted to. It's sad that people have to do it, to survive. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Here's a link to a recent article about a proposed "Car Camp" in the Seattle, WA area. The proposal looks like it's going through.
Car camps could house Seattle's homeless
Donna, Seattle is run by a bunch of politicians that don't realize what they are doing. Of course the people of Seattle vote them in. What they all can't understand is that if you provide for homeless, you get more homeless. Word travels fast in the homeless community as to where the best places are to be homeless. The better you make it, the more you have. Like feeding pigeons. I don't know what the answer to the problem is.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #32

I understand what you're saying Roger. We have the same thing here, only it's for transients... and I'm not talking "newly homeless," but those that will not or cannot fit into regular society due to drug or alcohol problems. But, they are a part of society and have to go somewhere. I think it's better to provide a safe environment where garbage and human waste can be disposed of properly, rather than under a bush or in an alley.

What keeps these types of populations down here in our area is the RAIN.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Donna, Seattle is run by a bunch of politicians that don't realize what they are doing. Of course the people of Seattle vote them in. What they all can't understand is that if you provide for homeless, you get more homeless. Word travels fast in the homeless community as to where the best places are to be homeless. The better you make it, the more you have. Like feeding pigeons. I don't know what the answer to the problem is.
Hey Rodger, pass along to the movers & shakers of Seattle the plan Myrtle Beach SC used to use when dealing with homeless folk...they'd just put em' on a bus and send them down the road to Charleston. It lasted till Charleston figured out what was going on and complained. I kid you not.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Personally as a realtor in California, I'm considering renting out my house, buying a 13' Scamp and spending the next year or so traveling around the country until the market picks back up. Its something I've always wanted to do, and what better time to have the "excuse" to do it?? Its a matter of turning lemons into lemonade.

Maybe in the process, people will realize they can live in smaller spaces quite comfortably and not be a slave to their mortgage payments. (Now, my biggest challenge- what should I buy, a Scamp or a Casita??)
I too am a California Realtor; but keeping going selling the foreclosures which I'm sure you know is our only market. However---will be fulltiming by choice-I always said I'd do it when I hit 70. So 2010 is the year. I think those of us that are fulltiming; and especially the single women; it would be fun to be able to meet up now and then. Anyway; I think your idea is a good one.
elaineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #35

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
ah yes... if you read the second post on here.. my "plans" or I should say, preparations, have paid off.

I will soon be one of the ones with no place to go. My home will be foreclosed on sometime after the next 90 days. I see no point in returning to it after I leave my current seasonal position in Arizona. I will only have to move into the trailer then. Might as well get it over with.

I have an offer to do some technical consulting with an electronics manufacturer in Flagstaff, but thats no place to be in the winter in a 17ft rig. SO... to save money and actually utilize all this fodder I have spent tons on for comfortable boondocking.. I will be living at a Long Term Visitor area on BLM land near Quartzsite. I can pick up units I need to work on and do them in QZ, then take them back to Flag every couple weeks or so.. so not only will the Burro be my home, it will be my office too.

At least this will be easer than living in my bus. I had to drive it out of my campsite everyday to look for work. In these times, the internet and a cell phone are the norm, I can hunt for jobs from just about anywhere as long as I stay connected.

I am not real worried, I know I will clean and be comfy. And it will be an adventure as well. Like someone said, I will be doing something different.. and possibly darned fun. I will drink my lemonade happily.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #36

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Cool

It sounds like you've planned well. Don't be a stranger. Come to the gatherings. We all enjoy seeing you and your animals as well as hearing from you. Wishing you the best in your "retirement" Just make sure you have enough cat and dog food. You shouldn't be lonely.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #37

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
edit: I've started a new topic with this comment.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Paul, my preference is naturally a Scamp, but Casitas are VERY nice. But to fulltime in one, whatever you get, get one with a shower/toilet.
If I were making a choice between a Casita and a Scamp, I'd definitely go for the Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe. My reason for saying this is that a fifth wheel pulls much better than a tag along. The Deluxe Fifth Wheel has much more storage space. You are able to keep your dinette standing at all times and you can sleep in the "loft" which as I understand it is the size of a Queen size bed. I agree with a previous comment that a full timer must have a bathroom to include a shower, toilet and wash basin. If I were you, I'd get on the phone to Scamp and talk with Wayne Pitlick and he will set you straight. Scamp's Toll Free Number is: 800-346-4962.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #39

I'm with Paul, it would be a 5th wheel... but I'd buy an Escape 5th Wheel !!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #40

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I can't wait to go full time in the egg or a van (Vandwelling). After 23 years in a truck waking up somewhere different almost every morning my roots just wont take root. I'll always have my home in Tx, because it's paid for but here in In, I'm renting a place and driving 30 miles to go to the Labor Ready office to see if I can go to work, but I choose that situation because like not being tied down to one place I don't like being tied down to one job either. So why not become homeless while you can? Get rid of all of those bills and do some traveling, Workamping, day labor, seasonal work, whatever it can't be that bad, if you have your egg you're already way ahead of the shopping cart and cardboard box group.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming