Step 1 Completed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Step 1 Completed

I've been on here about 3 yrs now as I am nearing retirement with plans to travel extensively after retirement. Up until now, it has just been planning, researching and dreaming, but I am taking the first tangible step in realizing my dream. I am purchasing a slightly used 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4 extended cab pick up. I had to have a truck to pull whatever I buy before getting really serious about what TT to buy.
Step 1 soon to be completed!! Yippee

Beginning Step 2 - the travel trailer. 6'5" frame narrows the field for me. I really like the Lil Snoozy and Eggcamper ( I believe Eggcamper may now be out of business). The Oliver and Bigfoot are a little pricey for me. I plan to boondock some as well, and hoping I can find a TT with modifications with alternative power sources other than electric.

Surprised there aren't models with electric/generator/propane/solar options built in from factory. I believe someone told me on a previous post on here that there are so many specifications for manufacturers to meet that it isn't cost efficient for them to make TTs with multiple power source options.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome mo mark from Auxvasse I don't know where you live you are welcome to my place anytime. The last visitor caused me to get kicked off a board. It was the weirdest thing I ever witnessed!

This camping thing will get the best of you but you will have fun. We tented for 41 years all 50 states and 4 trips to Europe using the same tent! Age and health caught up to me so now a 13f Scamper.

Did I say we are cheap frugal campers! When traveling we sightsee all day and then seek out the Walmart for a good nights sleep. We have learned to get by with almost nothing, we have learned how to do a military bath, we have learned to sleep on a 44in mattress. We just continue to learn.

oh id I say I am 75?

stop by anytime

Auxvasse bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #3

Missouri
add ons

Missouri mark yes manafactures constantly fight prices and weights. You will not need 1/2 the doodads you think you do. Take my word for it.

In our case be bought a 1995 Scamper 13f I am not 6.5 though I don't know what to tell you. you bring special problems to the table!

one thing don't rush in I am thinking in your case a scamper 5th wheel may be the best for you!

regards

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
mark, the 2 companies that immediately come to mind that would meet your criteria are casita and scamp. both are reasonably priced (compared to the others) and both come with the features you'll need for boondocking extensively (electric/12v/propane, full baths with showers, holding tanks for black/gray water, fresh water tank,awning,fridge,stove etc). i'd suggest you start your search with these 2 and see what you think. best of luck
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Missouri
boondocking

if you ae going to boondock big-time get yourself a 100 gal tank for water and a 100 gal tank for the other stuff and get ready for a mess!

not for me I leave all my stuff at the walmarts!!

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Missouri
Bob - from Ste. Genevieve. Have tent camped all my life but getting to age where I've had enough of sleeping on the ground. Just don't enjoy like I use to.

Scamps and Casitas neither make models with 6'5" interior height clearance. Thus, beds are not made for tall people either. Not a real picky person, but I know that one thing I will insist on is accommodating my height with interior height and sleeping quarters. I've heard the arguments on here - you don't spend that much time in trailer, you get use to it, etc - but being able to stand up in the trailer is non negotiable in my case. So that's why I mentioned the four models that have interior heights to suit me.
I plan on travelling in 1-2 month periods, maybe a little longer now and then, but definitely not cut out for fulltiming. I too am very frugal and know how to live on basic necessities. I plan to retire in 2021, maybe sooner if the mood strikes me, but would like to have my unit beforehand to try out and make modifications to suit me before I get to the point of living in it for a couple months at a time. Definitely want boondocking capabilities.
Wouldn't mind finding a woman who I am compatible with to join me or caravan with when the time comes!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I've been on here about 3 yrs now as I am nearing retirement with plans to travel extensively after retirement. Up until now, it has just been planning, researching and dreaming, but I am taking the first tangible step in realizing my dream. I am purchasing a slightly used 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4 extended cab pick up. I had to have a truck to pull whatever I buy before getting really serious about what TT to buy.
Step 1 soon to be completed!! Yippee

Beginning Step 2 - the travel trailer. 6'5" frame narrows the field for me. I really like the Lil Snoozy and Eggcamper ( I believe Eggcamper may now be out of business). The Oliver and Bigfoot are a little pricey for me. I plan to boondock some as well, and hoping I can find a TT with modifications with alternative power sources other than electric.

Surprised there aren't models with electric/generator/propane/solar options built in from factory. I believe someone told me on a previous post on here that there are so many specifications for manufacturers to meet that it isn't cost efficient for them to make TTs with multiple power source options.
Congratulations Mark, it sounds like you are getting all set to go there.

I'm a bit puzzled by your statement about power options. While generators are not offered as "on-board" options for these small trailers as they are for much larger RV's, these trailers are still compatible with sourcing your power from a portable generator.

Escape will build you a trailer with a two-way gas/electric water heater, a three way gas/12VDC/120VAC refrigerator, and one or more 160 watt roof-mounted solar panels. They also offer surge protectors and 1,500 watt 12VDC to 120VAC inverters with transfer switches so you can power every 120V outlet and device in the trailer from a pair of 6 volt batteries.

Mind you, every option has a price, but it seems the possibility is there. As to interior headroom, it seems like the 5.0TA would accommodate you very handily.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Missouri
Nah Bob, don't need 100 gal of water on hand. Grew up in country, been going #2 in the woods all my life. As far as bathing, really all I need is a creek, stream, or lake, with the occasional truck stop, community center, or campground w/shower for good hot shower. Like I said, a country boy and grew up poor, I know how to make do with very little.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Missouri
Yeah, Escapes are nice too, and good interior height for me, but a little pricey for me, unless I can find a good deal on a used one. I do keep my eyes open all the time and have been weighing options for a couple of years. So I have read up on almost all brands. Another big issue - very few fiberglass models are for sale in the Midwest - they all seem to be out west, Canada, Florida, - makes it hard to check on out in person and justify a 1,000 mile trip to look at one without being somewhat committed to buying on the spot if I like it. And hate to go into any deal committed sight unseen.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Scamps and Casitas neither make models with 6'5" interior height clearance. Thus, beds are not made for tall people either. Not a real picky person, but I know that one thing I will insist on is accommodating my height with interior height and sleeping quarters. I've heard the arguments on here - you don't spend that much time in trailer, you get use to it, etc - but being able to stand up in the trailer is non negotiable in my case. So that's why I mentioned the four models that have interior heights to suit me.
At 6'2" I have a lesser, but similar, problem. I'd warn you about relying on listed specifications, especially with little margin for error. At a rally, I went into a lot of Casitas and Scamps, and although one is listed at 6'3" and one at 6' 1/2", I found both the same -- just a little too short for me (I'm with you on the height desire, despite the arguments). Bottom line, you need to get into different trailers, and rallies are good for that. And be ready to ask if it's OK to lie on the bed; most open viewings are more geared to checking out accessory modifications and the like, but you're right on its importance.
FYI, I double checked my recollection and the Bigfoots are listed at 6'4", but the Escape 19 is listed at 6'5". I've been in Escape 19 and 21, Bigfoot 17, Lil' Snoozy, the bigger Oliver. I'd say they are all probably true to listing, but at over my head, I'm not a good judge; if there's even a half inch clearance, it's surprising how quickly you forget about the closeness - but don't forget about the vent knobs, A/C, cabinets, and other head risks.
My Parkliner is listed at 6'5". Seems right, but I'll try to remember to measure it for you.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

Missouri
I hear ya FishingBob. I am probably only considering used TT so I will absolutely be checking on head clearance standing and sleeping.
BTW - plan to do lots of fishing on my travels. In fact, having a stream or lake near will be almost an absolute "must have" for any kind of extended stay. Just so easy to wash hands and face, rinse dishes, and even a quick bath to be on the water.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #12

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
You might consider a used ParkLiner, though they don't come on the market often. Headroom is 6'5". Lots of storage and bed configurations.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

Missouri
funnin

Missouri Mark just jokin with your I don't care what you do what you have or what you intend to do?

Have you been to Mantauk, Bennet Springs or Roaring River we just took up trouting this year much fun until my back surgery!

we were big-time tenters all 50 states Europe 4 times. I intend to go to Europe one more time if I can get my back healed up! Doc said today I was really doing great at 75 and new rods put in I do not feel like it but each day is some better I am on month 3!

good campin from Missouri Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #14

Missouri
No offense taken, Bob. Yes, I've been to Montauk, but not Bennett or Roaring River. Not a fan of the trout parks, or as I call them "The Six Flags of Fishing" LOL.

Here's an inside tip for you though, if you enjoy trout fishing - check out the Eleven Point River near Alton, MO. Discovered it about 20 years ago and make 3-4-5 trips per year. Part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways - 21 miles of federally protected river, no sign of civilization on the river as feds own a minimum of 1/4 mile of riverbank along this section. Absolutely great trout fishing. I refer to it as "Missouri's Best Kept Secret". River is fed by 6 of the largest 10 springs in MO. However it is best fished by canoe or jetboat. I have a square stern canoe with 2.5 mercury motor and since my group of buddies have been going, 2 buddies have bought jetboats. As far as canoeing, best to have some canoeing skills as a couple rapids approach Class 2, and some other tricky spots. Guides are available thru Eleven Point Canoe Rental as well. Bank fishing is usually tough but easier now with low water. Free camping at Whitten and Turner Mill access, and minimal fee at Greer Campground. Blue Ribbon area from Greer to Turner - 5 miles - and White Ribbon from Turner to Riverton - 14 miles, limit of 4, no bait or size restrictions. River is stocked regularly and have pulled some nice fish out of river. Lodging available in the town of Alton and very reasonable - nice little 2-3 bedroom cottages in $65 per night range.

And since you like to tent camp - the owner of Huffstedler's Canoe Rental in Riverton just bought the Eleven Point Canoe Rental in Alton, as well. Mike and Wendy Jones are the owners and great people. For about $40, Mike will even haul you in to your own private gravel bar with all your gear in his jetboat, and come and pick you up when you tell him at the time he drops you off. In other words, he will drop you off on like a Friday and you tell him to come pick you up Monday afternoon, and he will gladly do it. Very cool way to do it if all you are looking for is a great camping experience in solitude and being able to get a line wet right at camp. Firewood is everywhere since the spring flood. He will also guide you, and arrange lodging in advance.

My gift to you Bob, keep it on the down low. As I said "Missouri's Best Kept Secret". You will swear you are on a mountain stream - unbelievable Ozark scenery, river surrounded by 600 ft hills, bluffs, wildlife - my favorite place in the world!!!!!!!!! And a cheap vacation!!!! Let me know if you want to check it out sometime and I can give you some advice on specific spots for good wade fishing . I think you would really enjoy the option of having Mike haul you in to your own private gravel bar and pick you up in a couple days. A real stress free way to do it. This time of year you won't see but maybe a couple people per day.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #15

Missouri
mark

yep I know that area used to sell things to Alton schools I like the town I will keep this in mind. I am a little out of tenting right now with the back surgery!

I have this on file and will consider by the way I have been all over that region including Salem on down! People don't realize how great this area is worlds largest springs there matter of fact.

thanks for the tip

bob
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
My 2014 ParkLiner measures at almost 78" in front of the door. There's a light basically where you'd stand up from the bed; there it's 75 inches plus. Nothing else comes down from the ceiling.
The bed is 82" in the side-to-side dimension. Probably should have measured the door, now that I think of it.

(For mine, and I think for all 2016 and earlier models, the A/C is through the wall under a bench; as I understand it, 2017 on they plan to under put it on the roof, probably about where that light is, so might protrude a bit more.)
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #17

Missouri
I frankly don't know how you tall people deal with us short people you know we are in the majority so everything built to us!

by the way there is a guy in Va. I have become pals with he is a trout fisherman deluxe. There they raise tropy trouts he get up at 3am scouts out his place in the brush and waits until 6am. he catches them that weight up to 10lbs.

back to our 13f scamper can you belive my wife and I sleep on a 44in mattress with a doggie! it was tough figuring out how to do and the first night was not fun but after that we make it through the night!

we too want to camp out about 1 mo at a time I don't know if she will stand for longer than that. We are mooooochers at the Walmarts have been run off once but now we pull them up on gps and call them. don't even need to go into the store.

Columbia scared me we don't camp there but one time we went by and they had put up no loitering type signs but I still see trucks the 500k rigs and us parked there so I guess they aren't going crazy yet. there have been some drug deals go down there certainly in your town too.

seems to be a way of life now!

good luck maybe we will find each other we will be heading to n.c. soon1

bob
Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #18

Missouri
Yep, even have a hard time finding shoes, pants, shirts - markets don't give much consideration to large people.

I spend more time trout fishing because my buddies are into it. I prefer smallmouth fishing in the Ozark streams. Much better fighters!!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #19

Missouri
trouting and clothes

yes on the clothes you cant really even do mail order they never fit either! on the trouting we fish on the bridge catfishing style. Sometimes we do great sometimes we get skunked.

I am amazed at the people who wont eat them they say they taste like alphapha! I have not noticed that except I live their flavor!

By the way what part are you normally parked in?

bob
Old 10-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #20

Missouri
Count me as one who don't care for taste of trout. I'll eat them occasionally (on the grill with lemon, butter and onion), but give me crappie and blue gill fillets anytime over trout.

I assume you are talking about the Eleven Point and the Hwy 19 bridge at Greer???? We fish almost exclusively from Turner to Whitten - the White Ribbon area as group likes to harvest enough to eat and take some home. The water levels determine where we put in or park, normally launch at Turner. But right now my buddies with jets almost have to launch at Whitten. I think the Turner to Whitten stretch is the prettiest part of the river. The Whitten to Riverton stretch can get tough for jets with low water stretches and Halls Bay shoals. And longer stretches between moving water the farther downstream you go. But it's all beautiful, we've covered the entire MO part from Thomasville to Arkansas line. Good smallmouth fishing on lower stretch from Hwy 142 bridge to Arkansas. Walleye in this section too, but we have never been so lucky.