theft prevention - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Like I told my neighbor if when he asked if I thought my trailer was theft proof…"No, but why would they mess with that when yours is 6' away on the other side of the fence, and ready to take?"

He still never did anything about his, either.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #22

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Insurance will cover theft.
Insure for replacement value. Take pictures and videos of your set up.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #23

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I highly suggest you ask them what replacement value is...

For mine, it's about $8500 under what it should be. As soon as it's completely finished, I'm getting it appraised and going that route.

Even at that, it still won't cover the labor to make another one back to what mine is.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To recover full value for a stolen FGRV in the lower 48 province's you have to request a "Stated Replacement Value" policy and not all carriers will write them.

With that you are insured up to "Your" stated value for replacement, but only if you can find comps to show that is the true value. In other words, if you insure a $5k Scamp for $20k because of sentimental value or what ever, Ya gotta be able to prove that there are like condition and age rigs selling for that price and/or prove your additional work made yours that valuable. The latter is impossible to do without an acceptable appraisal from before the claim was made.

I have been down this road many times with Toyota motorhomes and at least 75% of U.S. Ins. companies want to limit total value to what's shown in either KBB or NADA price guides. In the case of older Toyota motorhomes that's usually about 1/4th actual value and that creates a real hassle when they want to total the vehicle following a minor scrape.

Bottom Line: Insurance is a good back-up but don't expect it to be a solution if your rig is stolen. Be proactive and protect it as best you can, that's actually cheaper insurance anyway.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
I like that Tri Max thing. Where the Egg will be resting is not within eyesight and that worries me. None of my neighbors have ever lost any trailers or boats. But I don't want to take that chance. Also, going to paint a number on the roof. Thanks for all the tips!
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I use coupler locks on my Escape combined with a good insurance policy, and do not worry much about it. If you are really concerned, you could invest in a GPS system that would let you track your stolen FGRV directly to wherever it is at. Maybe something like one from these guys: Free Tracking Systems

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
The hitch lock looks good....but if someone really wanted it, couldn't they just chain it up and haul it off?

Wouldn't a wheel lock be a good addition if one is really concerned?:
Trimax Wheel Lock, Trimax Adjustable Wheel Lock, Trimax Wheel Locks

there was a thread a few month back where someone was getting weird notes inquiring about her trailer while she was gone, she decided, I believe, to pull off a wheel. Being a Uhaul, they had unique wheels and weren't easily replaced.
That's what happened to our 2,100 lb pop-up in AZ. I saw a flat-bed truck driving around the county a couple days before. You could see that they drug it down the dirt driveway in front of the house and then the tracks disappeared. We had a heavy duty coupler lock in place so thought we were safe. Now we have one of the wheel chock lock things. We never even heard them and neither did the dog. A lot of people get things repossessed there so I'm guessing the skill of coming in like that might be more prevalent.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I use coupler locks on my Escape combined with a good insurance policy, and do not worry much about it. If you are really concerned, you could invest in a GPS system that would let you track your stolen FGRV directly to wherever it is at. Maybe something like one from these guys: Free Tracking Systems
I think that the Garmin unit I linked above is a better deal.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Something I've considered is re-purposing an old, WiFi-enabled Android cell phone for use as a GPS tracker.

By de-installing everything else on an older phone, installing a GPS tracker app and software that automatically connects to public WiFi hotspots (mine auto-connects to Starbucks, McDonalds, and many others), then placing a charger and the phone in a back corner, you can get periodic updates on your trailer when it gets close to a hotspot. Alternately, if you have a "friends and family" plan you could pop for the $10/month to add the tracker phone to your plan, and know exactly where your trailer is all the time.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #30

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Garmin makes a tracker called GTU10 that can be wired to the trailer battery that will allow you to track it anywhere in the US. About $150 plus $1 a week for service.
The problem is the Garmin tracking software servers are down frequently. This was a great idea poorly implemented.

The best option, IMHO, is a cell phone hard wired to trailer power with a tracking service with your cell phone service. That's about $10 a month. Even that might need to be restarted from
Time to time.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #31

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
I also like the idea of hard wiring a cell phone to the trailer battery. That's what I like about this group, so much good advice. I'm pulling out all the stops to make sure I get an Egg and I don't want somebody to just drive away with it. I go to sleep and wake up thinking about this Egg! My gosh, I've got it bad don't I?
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #32

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Bill, you have been bitten...........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #33

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Stealing a egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you decide to pull a wheel/tire off... don't forget to remove the spare too! If you buy a wheel boot, make sure it covers the lug nuts too. Even one lug nut.
What Donna says is the cheapest way to do it. Another way is to add a very heavy chain, one separate chain thru each wheel then use two pad locks. My neighbour uses a very expensive locking device on his coupler, and then he keeps a vehicle parked usually in front of the coupler (garage is behind the trailer). When I get a egg I will keep it in my garage (8' 3"" opening allowed by the city).

Another way if you have electric brakes is to turn them on, but when battery dies you are sol.

I personally think the boot lock and a coupler lock combination is the best way.

I just went online to see what kind of boot lock I can buy. Crap these are not the kind the police use. They can be easily be broken by forcing the build in lock or drilling it out.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
The problem is the Garmin tracking software servers are down frequently. This was a great idea poorly implemented.
I've owned the GTU10 for two years and use it on my dog. I have not had any problems with server being down, when I check it on a regular basis. How long have you owned yours?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
...........Another way if you have electric brakes is to turn them on, but when battery dies you are sol............
And how long do you think the battery will last if you do this? I mean in minutes.........
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
This is the route I take. We are covered for full replacement value. I believe contents are part of our home policy.

The only time I worry at all is when i am travelling with it, and would be in a bind if it were stolen.

I used to use a hitch lock until I left it open on the tongue when I drove away. I guess I should at least replace that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #37

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
My uhaul has one of those hitch lock thT is a bolt instead of lock lever, i just remove te assemby and install a bike ulock trough the bolt hole...depending on where i am i can easily add a chain to attach around a tree or the wheel
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
My uhaul has one of those hitch lock thT is a bolt instead of lock lever, i just remove te assemby and install a bike ulock trough the bolt hole...depending on where i am i can easily add a chain to attach around a tree or the wheel
Here is what I did on my UHaul.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3662.JPG  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
  • Insurance with appraise/specified replacement value.
  • Lock on tongue to discourage "snatch and grab" thief.
  • Chain to solid object, if I was inclined I would dig a post hole, put cement and eye-bolt just below ground level so I could mow over it.
  • Lock wheels with chain or "boot".
  • Provide tracking device. Cell phone or GPS but bear in mind battery requirements.
  • Store out of sight, or with decent lighting and visibility.
  • Put a note or business card in a few locations inside stating that you are the current owner. Places a purchaser would look but not the thief. Might trip them up at resale when buyer is poking around in storage areas, or provide rapid on the scene proof of this being your trailer to law enforcement.
  • Position so it's not as easily hooked up to. You have all the time in the world to hook up at a sharp angle, thief wants to back up and go.
With a 4" battery powered cut off wheel one can go through pretty much any metal lock or chain. Noisy, creates sparks, but pretty darn quick.

Seems to me forcing thief to take time, and be exposed while committing the theft is the best one can hope for when it comes to discouraging theft. Having to cut off a hitch lock and a second chain or boot is more time and might be good idea.

You could also if so inclined take a 100 yard target out to the range, put about 5-10 shots through it (I suggest using wadcutters for nice clean holes) tape the used target in the window of the camper with the words "Think Honest" on it in black marker. It's sometimes the personal touch that gets through to people.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #40

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Here is what I did on my UHaul.
Thats a good idea tom,

Iill do that to lock it to the car when parked!
But i will keep the ulock for the other times.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote