Tow vehicle advice - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #61

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
BTW: Automatics do not maintain the correct RPM, Only the driver or the cruise control has any say over that. But they can maintain the correct gear for the load.
Yes, but many modern automatic transmissions do control the rpm within the gear they are in. And, many are now using constant velocity transmissions that are almost entirely computer controlled. Nowadays there are many vehicles that actually get better mileage with an automatic transmission than their manual alternative. Don't get me wrong, I love my little sports car with a 6 speed manual gearbox, and there's no way I'd opt for an automatic on THAT car. But, the automatic on my F150 Ecoboost V6 is highly sophisticated and is able to give me a better performance curve and fuel economy than the manual transmission ever could.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #62

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
But a wise man (one who has towed 1,000's of various combinations over 45 years) once told me that when towing you have enough things to be aware of and that is where the simplicity of an Automatic kicks in. He also said that at times it takes a few forward and backward moves to get backed into a campsite. That clutch in the manual vehicle can really heat up.

I agree with that wise man. Want a manual but use an Automatic.
A wise man indeed!

As a person who NEVER wanted to own an automatic & had only ever owned manual transmission autos I had to cave in & get my first automatic about 8 years ago when I was not able to get a manual transmission on my preferred car. Now on my second vehicle with a automatic transmission and have towed with both and I will never go back to owning a manual transmission auto for towing & or my daily city drive! Life is simple!

Like Uplander on my current Nissan has the option to lock out the Overdrive when towing up a hill - also recommend in the owners manual. With my Subaru I did not have that OD lock out option so I simple switched out of D into what they call Sport mode and manually controlled the gear shifting when going into hills.

With both vehicles I do indeed need to watch the RPM's and manually shift accordingly when traveling on large hills/mountain passes. Would not want to own a vehicle without an RPM gage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #63

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't think that the examples of what over-the-road truck drivers have to do driving diesel's, with very limited RPM ranges, plays into the discussion at all. That's one of the reasons that they have so many gears to choose from, limited RPM range, usually about 1200-1500, so let's toss that reference as being a non-started in this application.

My reply was to the statement suggesting that a person towing an FGRV could "Destroy" both engines and clutches if they didn't have a tach to follow.... to which I still respond "Balderdash".

I did a bit of searching and I can't find any current automatic transmissions that have any control over engine RPM, but the opposite has always and still applies.
While selecting a different gear will have an effect on RPM, that's caused by load, not the transmission.

And the real bad news..... This reply is late because I just pulled my Hunter Compact-II 1,265 miles in two days, with less than 10% of that on interstates, crossed numerous passes in excess of 8000 feet high, all with a manual 5 speed, and I didn't cause the destruction of anything any more than I did when I towed with my last 5 speed..... that still had the original clutch at 155,000 miles.

If someone wants the convenience of an automatic, that's fine, but there is nothing about a standard transmission that is inherently going to cause the demise of anything.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 AM   #64
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:

If someone wants the convenience of an automatic, that's fine, but there is nothing about a standard transmission that is inherently going to cause the demise of anything.
Different strokes for different folks. Not a problem.

One of my pals tows his dual axle trailer with a pro set up Volvo S60 sedan/T5 manual. This was his comment on another forum.

"I've towed with a manual transmission car for the past 6 years, and am now switching to an automatic. Slow speed backing should be much easier!

I never found the manual to be an issue in the mountains. It just kept me busy shifting. I figured out how to double-clutch on downshifts a long time ago, so downshifts were usually smooth with no shock loads on the driveline".
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #65

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We just sold our manual transmission 2004 Honda CRV with 250,000 miles. We have towed just about everywhere in North America. When we sold it the CRV had it's original clutch. Never a transmission problem or an engine problem or never added oil between 5000 mile changes.

We traded it i on a Honda Odyssey with an automatic transmission. The Odyssey is more comfortable and with the automatic it is easier to back up. However if they still made the CRV with a manual transmission, we would have bought another and never tried the Odyssey. Since the Odyssey purchase we do like the Odyssey better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #66
MC1

Ontario
The clutch 's seem to much more durable than they used to be. My pal with the Volvo S60 5cyl, T5 lived in the Rockies and towed his 27'r all over the continent a few times and it too still had the original clutch. That is impressive.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #67

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you can drive the manual and have the skill it will last a very long time. If you slip the clutch excessively to get going or ride with your foot on the clutch then it's live is in serious doubt.
Once the clutch is locked up then it's job is basically over except for the small springs that absorb the torque pulses from the engine. These can and do wear out and bread occasionally and cause harshness and rattle.
The new DSG transmissions are just like the manual transmission except that they have two clutches and two transmission geartrains (one for odd and one for even gears) These clutches are often "wet" which means that they are lubricated with a spray of oil to keep them cool and modify their engagement for smooth shifting and starting.
These only really build heat on starting from a standstill for the very brief time it slips. Since the 6 speeds give a very low first this is very short.
The only heat buildup for this type of transmission is that time and the added heat from the small hydraulic pump that provides the pressure to operate the system.
This is the wave of the future! The computers shift better than any manual driver could (other than me and those of you that want to question me!)
The draw back to the DSG is that instead of the springs in the center of the clutch to absorb the torsional vibrations the DSG has a Dual Mass Flywheel that has the springs between the crankshaft drive flange in the center and the OD of the flywheel. As in the clutch these springs eventually fatigue and wear out and break and the flywheel will have to be replaced. But no torque converter to build heat constantly and waste power!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #68

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Hi friends, thanks for all the input. I have found a used vehicle that seems like a good fit...98 Chevy s10, v6, auto 4spd ( no choice there). The body and tranny are sound, engine rebuilt, very well maintained. See you on the road!

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #69

Florida
Just wanted everyone to know, I just returned from 2000 miles. My s10 worked wonderfully, pulls like a dream AND I can run ac at the same time! Engine temp was in a safe range, mpg dropped as we all know happens when towing. I attribute this to the need to refrain from using the overdrive gears. So, I am unpacking and planning my next trip to retrieve my Boler, yeah!!!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #70

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might do a bit better if you hold your towing speed to 55 mpg. I get about a 2-3 mpg hit when towing my Hunter Compact-II @55 MPH with my S-10, 2 dr Blazer, V6 5speed.

We just finished a 5000+ mile trip through the Rocky Mountain states and averaged 16.2 mpg for the entire trip. I use 5th only on flat roads and above 50 MPH.

BTW: If it wasn't already done and documented, a fresh tune-up, especially new plugs, will do wonders for your economy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #71
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
You might do a bit better if you hold your towing speed to 55 mpg. I get about a 2-3 mpg hit when towing my Hunter Compact-II @55 MPH with my S-10, 2 dr Blazer, V6 5speed.

We just finished a 5000+ mile trip through the Rocky Mountain states and averaged 16.2 mpg for the entire trip. I use 5th only on flat roads and above 50 MPH.
Interesting data BM. Historicly we have averaged 13MPG/US towing our GVW 5,800lb dual axle 23' with a 3.5 V6. We would have spent $300. more for fuel doing your same 5,000mile trip. Note we do 60MPH on the highway so if we dropped to 55MPH we would save a number of dollars.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #72

Florida
Thanks Bob, I will try all of those things on my next trip. On this one I did 60 mph, opposed to 70 not towing. I did keep it in 3 per the owners Manuel. Its an automatic four speed with D 3 2 1 on the indicator. I think I got @ 20 mpg unloaded and 15ish with @650# in tow, and that was with ac.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #73

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2004 Scamp
Mass
Registry
Roger, you are hysterical. Can I become a member of the Buffalo-Plaid Brigade?
I want a hat like that too.
Anne MP is offline   Reply With Quote