Want to full time but single female. Is it safe? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: Laury
Trailer: Shopping
Indiana
Want to full time but single female. Is it safe?

Hello. I'm new here and love this website! I will be retiring in about 4 years. I really love to camp in my popup tent camper but want to full time in a Casita Freedom deluxe 17' when I retire. I am single and female. I'd love to hear from ladies who camp solo (and anyone else). I am concerned about staying safe while camping and boondocking. I currently only camp in a few campgrounds I am very familiar with. Thanks for your input in advance. Laury.
Lpalmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Well, I'm male, but travel single (although for the first part of this trip I'm traveling with friends in a Scamp). I am on the road for 8 - 9 months of the year, returning to upstate NY for the summers. I keep a blog of my travels - the current one starts at 2018-19 Trip
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpalmer28 View Post
Hello. I'm new here and love this website! I will be retiring in about 4 years. I really love to camp in my popup tent camper but want to full time in a Casita Freedom deluxe 17' when I retire. I am single and female. I'd love to hear from ladies who camp solo (and anyone else). I am concerned about staying safe while camping and boondocking. I currently only camp in a few campgrounds I am very familiar with. Thanks for your input in advance. Laury.

There is a number of ladies that full time solo camp one is even works as a campground host.

To find new and interesting inexpensive places to camp without hookups I suggest you look at Ultimate Campgrounds.

US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Home
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Check out Sisters on the Fly.
https://www.sistersonthefly.com/
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Here are links to blogs by some long term or full time women campers:

Jean Clark

Anne Henderson

RV Sue
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Yes it is safe. There are many thousands of retired women already doing that and by the time you retire there will be thousands more of them joining you. The rules for personal safety are the same no matter where you are living. You have done OK so far, I am sure you already have good instincts about people when you meet them in your daily life. In the meantime be a little more adventurous, don't limit yourself to only camping in the same old familiar places. Take some longer trips to new locations.

Cultivate having an attitude of telling yourself that each trip will be a good time instead of focusing on the worry that something bad might happen. Mentally telling yourself that you feel scared is what makes you feel so scared. If you start in on that self talk fraidy cat loop you actually can learn to stop that annoying brain chatter by saying STOP THAT! ENOUGH! each time your brain loops into it. Most people don't know about this very essential mental health technique that keeps us sane when facing life changing decisions or even small everyday ones. Don't waste time validating to your brain, just use single words like STOP to beak the worry looping.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Welcome

Quote:
We've traveled as a couple for 18 years, now at 76. We have never stayed at a campground where we felt unsafe, and we've been in a number that didn't look too good. As well in almost 4000 camping nights we've never had a single problem with campers. Of course sometimes other campers are too loud but we've had kids and lived through loud, most of the time people are very friendly.

We have driven into probably 10 campgrounds where we didn't stay for what ever reason, we just didn't like them.

We have loved our time on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

Name: Laury
Trailer: Shopping
Indiana
Thank you

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement! I'm going to read the blogs of other solo ladies out there. Didn't realize there were so many. Yes, I will continue to prepare for my dream life. Sounds like there are many nice camping folks on this site.
Laury
Lpalmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Thank you for all of the words of encouragement! I'm going to read the blogs of other solo ladies out there. Didn't realize there were so many. Yes, I will continue to prepare for my dream life. Sounds like there are many nice camping folks on this site.
Laury
https://interstellarorchard.com/
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The only time I was not comfortable on this 33 day trip that I did this summer was when I elected to make a quick overnight at a hotel in Dayton OH instead of a campground. It was the only time on this trip that I felt the need to activate the motion sensor alarm in the camper. Fear not the campers!
Attached Thumbnails
TripMap.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Want to full time but single female. Is it safe?

My mom started RVing solo at 65 after my dad died and she retired a few years later. She took her last trip at 90. Not full-time, but several months a year.

As long as you stay in developed campgrounds, you are very unlikely to have issues. That's what Mom did, and honestly, I was more concerned about the driving part than the camping part.

You may encounter a few run-down "RV parks" with full-time residents of questionable character. You can always move on if it just doesn't feel right. There are a number of useful apps that can help you find alternate camping spots on the fly.

Some full-timers spend all or part of their time "boondocking" on undeveloped land to lower costs. Then I think you have to be more cautious. There are increasing numbers of homeless people squatting on public lands in decrepit RV's, living out of vehicles, or on foot or bicycles. With experience and by talking to other full-timers you can learn to identify areas where that's a problem, as well as more serious problems such as drug smuggling and human trafficking.

There are also groups of solo travelers that arrange to caravan together. That has advantages and disadvantages, but it could be worth trying out.

Mom chose a small motorhome rather than a trailer to avoid hitching and backing. It also allowed her to stop, use the camper, and continue without going outside if she felt uncomfortable for any reason. I don't think it was ever an issue, but it gave her peace of mind.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here's another list of solo blogs:
https://www.women-on-the-road.com/be...for-women.html

I read somewhere about one solo woman who always sets out two lawn chairs, and leaves a pair of men's hiking boots outside her door. Whatever makes you comfortable.

At many sites, I expect you'll find folks who discretely keep an eye out for anything unusual. Just as they do other fellow campers.

Did I mention bear spray?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #13

Name: Arden
Trailer: Still Looking
UT
As you're already seeing here, LOTS of single women travel and camp. In addition to the other good suggestions you've gotten, I'd offer InterstellarOrchard -- https://interstellarorchard.com/ -- as a good resource. Her blog has a ton of good info. Also there are a number of Facebook groups for women traveling (and for just RV-ing in general) so look around there and you'll find lots and lots and lots of support! Good luck!
ArdeninUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi. If something were to happen, it would be a spur-of-the moment incident, the kind of thing that can happen to a woman alone in a dark, underground parking lot, for example, or a stairwell in a building after work hours.

What won't happen since you'll be a moving target, is for you to be watched for several weeks to determine your habits and presence, and then targeted. So in that sense, you'll be safer.

Unlikely to be any incidents in a public or private campground, more concern about boondocking. People like to be near each other for reasons beyond having electricity and dumpsters available.

Lots of good advice above.

My best luck to you on your journeys.

Kai
"K"

PS: From my own personal experience, I don't recommend pugs as guard dogs on camping trips. alert dogs, yes, guard dogs, no. Better to set out a big water bowl (BIG) with the name "FANG" on the side...possibly next to that pair of men's work boots.

But listen to your own gut feelings. We get the gift of fear from surviving on earth for a looooooooooooong time; every one of your ancestors managed it! So you're a child of all winners in the survival marathon.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #15

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Quote:
I would think you are as safe as a couple that are getting up there in ages would be. It's always best to be aware of who and whats around you, no matter who you are. But they sale some great panic buttons now days too that you might look into. What I would do also, is always set out two camp chairs to make anyone think there are two campers at your site.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #16

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Solo travel

Quote:
Check out this web site: becky@interstellarorchard.com
She has been soloing for years
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
But they sale some great panic buttons now days too that you might look into.

You probably already have that button on your vehicle's key fob.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
if you mind your own business and don't draw attention to yourself you wont have problems. If you have to interject your will in to everyone else's business then you can run into problems. you can't reason with a bunch of drunks. a bunch of young people partying at night and going over to quiet them down. Complaining to parents that their kids are riding around the campground or cutting through campsites and your going to be on the business end of someone pushing back. If your truly off grid there is safety in numbers. Cityfied camping and close to city camping is the worse, its where the good blend with the bad. Get out of town and you mostly find good people willing to help you in any way.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Just a thought , More mischief happens to people , male or female , at the mall than in campgrounds ... morale skip the mall go camping. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
People who own RVs and camp are a mostly a pretty tame crowd. The exception being those who's primary reason for going camping is drinking.

State and national park campgrounds and forest service campgrounds are great and are usually reasonably priced. Many offer season passes or discounts for seniors. As soon as you are old enough, get a lifetime national parks senior pass. That gets you and everyone in your vehicle free entry and half price camp sites. (and national park rangers won't put up with too much crap from unruly intoxicated campers)

Avoid stopping or sleeping at night in highway rest areas along interstates. Also avoid camping in and around big cities unless it is in a campground with tightly controlled access or you are surrounded by other RVers. Smaller towns are not so bad. If you are just traveling through and need to sleep for a night you can usually find a place to park on the front lot of major truck stops, TA, Pilot, Flying J etc. By the front lot I mean the lot with the gasoline pumps for cars and RVs, not the back lot where the big trucks park. It is not the most blissful setting but they are well lit and you can pull your shades and sleep and it is very unlikely that anyone would try to break in on you.

Aside from safety, managing your water and power will be your biggest issues. If you are in a campground with full hookups, no problems (except they cost more money). If you don't have hookups you have to conserve carefully. One nice long hot shower would deplete your freshwater supply and fill up your waste tank. Most campgrounds without full hookups will at least have a dump station for your waste tanks. Learn how to check the internet to find dump sites near where you are. You do not want those waste tanks full.

With regard to the power, you really need some kind of external power in hot or cold weather. The interiors of RVs heat up just like any other vehicle. If you want to be able to sleep in hot weather you need an air conditioner. And air conditioners will not run on batteries, you must have access to a plug in or a generator. In cold weather you will have the propane furnace. It will work great until the battery is depleted (usually about 3:00 am). Furnace fans draw down batteries quickly. If you are plugged in you can run a small electric heater and leave the furnace off. As an aside, it is a good idea to carry a good cold weather sleeping bag that is rated for below zero temps. If you ever need it you will be glad you have it.

Read up on the topic of generators. There are a limited number that have enough power to run an air conditioner yet are still light weight enough to lift in and out of your vehicle. You will constantly be lifting it in and out of your vehicle. You CAN NOT run a generator in a vehicle, except in the open bed of a truck. And especially you CAN NOT run one in the rain. Do not leave one outside getting soaked with rain even when it is not running. Also when a generator is sitting outside your camper on the ground (or in an open truck bed) it needs to be secured to the vehicle with a cable lock or chain with a lock so a thief could not just grab it and run. That applies even if you are in the camper and especially if you are away from the camp site.

Learn how to check gasbuddy for fuel prices and to plan your fuel stops ahead of time.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female, safety, solo