Want to full time but single female. Is it safe? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpalmer28 View Post
Hello. I'm new here and love this website! I will be retiring in about 4 years. I really love to camp in my popup tent camper but want to full time in a Casita Freedom deluxe 17' when I retire. I am single and female. I'd love to hear from ladies who camp solo (and anyone else). I am concerned about staying safe while camping and boondocking. I currently only camp in a few campgrounds I am very familiar with. Thanks for your input in advance. Laury.

The biggest safety concern should be the traveling. More people are injured or killed on the highways than in all the campgrounds put together. Your chances of having problems when camped are very low as compared to the changes in a anchored house.
Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, which would mean the farther you are from people and fewer around the less chance there is of a nasty crime.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Hello. I'm new here and love this website! I will be retiring in about 4 years. I really love to camp in my popup tent camper but want to full time in a Casita Freedom deluxe 17' when I retire. I am single and female. I'd love to hear from ladies who camp solo (and anyone else). I am concerned about staying safe while camping and boondocking. I currently only camp in a few campgrounds I am very familiar with. Thanks for your input in advance. Laury.
:find the ladies only group and travel with them until you feel comfortable. Or the only thing I can think of is buy a Class B or smallish C that way when you stop you do not have to be exposed.
Even though I'm a male, in 2009 I travelled across Canada then down into the USA and I was gone for 4 months I never met anyone except on the road. I Like to keep my B Van around 58mph to conserve my fuel and I always travelled in the slow lane, in that whole trip only problems were from people who wanted to go 100mph and did not want to pass me but when they finally did wanted to run me off the road, this happened several times in 12,000 miles. Another thing I learned was to make camp before dark as it is hard to find a place to park for the night in the dark.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
suggestion

Size 14 hiking boots. That and a .45 long colt on your bed stand.
John
Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #24

Name: Judy
Trailer: BIgfoot
Arizona
Safe? Yes.

It is safe to travel alone. Common sense should prevails so that if you do feel uncomfortable, get up and move. Check out RVing women. They have both solos and fulltimers chapters.
Judbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #25

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi, LPalmer28, welcome!

I traveled solo, full time, everywhere, for two years, just took a year off to help a sick friend, and will be resuming traveling soon. I have never felt threatened anywhere by anything other than trusting my GPS down a dirt road that said to stop and walk the rest of the way. Turning around was kind of scary, but I was patient and it worked out fine.

I honestly believe we women over 50 or certainly 65 are invisible to predators, based on my experience. And boondocking completely alone is fantastic! The world really is your oyster.

All best,
Wendy W.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #26

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
You have a right to be there

As a single woman, one attitude that has stood the test of time for me in a few unsavory situations (not while camping), is to realize that I have every right to be where I am (assuming I'm not trespassing). So walking home from work on a block that didn't look so good, accidentally getting off the train at the wrong spot, etc., I've run into situations where it would be reasonable to be wary. However, rather than walk thru it with fear in my heart, I reminded myself that I had every right to be right where I was, minding my own business, not trying to hurt anyone. And that attitude has gotten me thru a number of questionable moments. Presenting myself as a victim, jumping at every sound, scared and defensive -- these attitudes wouldn't have helped. One time I found myself walking home from an unsavory subway stop, through a ruined neighborhood and heard footsteps rapidly approaching from the rear. I looked back to see a young man, much bigger than I am. I turned to him and said "Hello, isn't it a nice evening?" He then walked me home to my front door and made sure I got in safely. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even been there. But having a calm and neutral attitude got me through.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
I honestly believe we women over 50 or certainly 65 are invisible to predators, based on my experience. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
.... Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even been there. But having a calm and neutral attitude got me through.
I feel almost obligated to reply to the last two comments, based on 30 years of law enforcement experience. Not to be an alarmist, but predators are called that because they prey on the weak. Whether it is a home burglary, robbery or whatever crime that is in the heart of the predator, he (or she) looks for weakness. Maybe its weakness in a lock, or the frail or older person who is not a physical threat to them. Showing confidence is one thing that can indeed help you avoid becoming a victim.

Another thing to consider is that an out-of-state license plate is a message to a thief.. that if he is caught, the victim is very unlikely to appear in court, leading to dismissal of the case. So thats a double whammy if you are perceived as an easy target, and you are from out-of-town

This is something to remember if you find yourself in an unsavory environment. such as the Grizwolds did on their vacation (video clip).

However, campgrounds are some of the safest places in the world, most of the time. Still, always be aware of your surroundings and don't look like an easy (or profitable) target.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #28

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
One thing that helps solo camping for me is the backup camera on my truck. Really makes hooking up a snap!

On campground safety, I avoid ones that are full of full timers. Some of those tend to attract a rougher crowd.

As a senior myself, you cannot beat the National Park system with a senior pass. I paid $16 a night at Yellowstone last month. I think Denail was $12 a night. And no entrance fee either with the pass. I also camped at a forest service campground in Alaska, and as I recall, it was $9 with the pass (Tenderfoot Creek campground, on the Kenai Peninsula, nice!)

+10 on GPS: as much as I like my Garmin, there is no substitute for an Atlas or a paper map. More than once the Garmin sent me down some "shortcut" that ended up being an impassible dirt road. Garmin buys their maps from a third party company that supplies others too (Navteq). Garbage in, garbage out!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #29

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Single Safety

I would suggest you carry bear spray in the largest size that fits your hand. Learn how it works. Some jurisdictions have rules but about their use but if someone is trying to hurt you, use it to get to safety and get a jury trial later. Guns require extensive training and understanding, a firearm could penetrate a whole line of fiberglass trailers and everyone in them. Besides lawful carry differs state to state and you can not take pistols into Canada. You can also check the internet for problem areas on the local Police Blogs. Stay away from large gatherings as there is a lack of good camp sites and any dispersed areas can be full of scum bags. I have seen an area in the mountains above Phoenix where the dispersed camping areas fill up every summer with homeless.This may be an issue in other areas as well. The regular campgrounds are fine. Just be aware but most of all go out and have fun, travel, see the sights, go to the F/G functions, meet great people! We once ran into a guy on a motorcycle who could not find a site to sleep in his tent so we told him to camp next to our unit. It turned out he was a Swiss chef we had a great visit and we saw him many times on the road the rest of our trip. Go enjoy!
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #30

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Bear spray actually has less of the active, pepper-based ingredient than mace, because bears are so much more sensitive to smells and tastes, so it doesn't take as much.

That's not to say having a can of bear spray around isn't a good thing, but if you're looking for self defense against humans and going to the store to buy something, buy something meant for humans, not bears.

It's a big scary world and all sorts of bad things can happen. But they can happen in your home almost just as easily. I'm definitely afraid of being pulled out of my tent at night by a bear. But way, way more people get attacked by domestic dogs every day. I pretty much never worry about that.

The more time I spend out in the world in my camper, the more I realize it's just "living". Yes, you are more vulnerable than in a house. But almost definitely less vulnerable than you were on a large college campus as a young person.

Be smart, talk with other people, hook up with other women and/or groups whenever possible, be aware of your surroundings but take it easy and have a good time.

What a friend told me, as advice when I was moving into my camper and doing some traveling, was: things will go wrong. It's ok. Things always go wrong no matter what you're doing. It's not because you're living out of a camper. It's just because things happen.

People in Boston had their houses explode due to natural gas infrastructure problems. People's homes get broken into, they get attacked on the street.

So...yeah, out on the road, especially these days, there are a lot of people living out of their cars, vans, motorhomes and campers. Some are good people, some aren't. Some are wealthy and will take advantage of you, some are homeless and will give you their last possession to help you out. Be cautious and safe but try not to judge too much.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #31

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Bear spray actually has less of the active, pepper-based ingredient than mace, because bears are so much more sensitive to smells and tastes, so it doesn't take as much.

That's not to say having a can of bear spray around isn't a good thing, but if you're looking for self defense against humans and going to the store to buy something, buy something meant for humans, not bears.
Some areas and campgrounds may have restrictions against carrying Mace, Pepper Spray, etc. just like guns. I don't know of any jurisdiction that restricts carrying anti-bear spray.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Again I feel compelled to reply. Bear Spray, pepper spray, etc. can be an effective defensive weapon but it can also incapacitate the user just as easily as the attacker. Police officers have been killed when they were incapacitated by pepper spray and then their own guns used against them. And those are police officers who have been trained in the use of pepper spray, usually including experiencing the effects first hand. That was part of my training also.

So if you choose to carry it, be prepared. Understand that if it gets discharged in the camper or any small enclosed space, and either on purpose or accidentally (such as from overheating), then everyone inside will be strongly affected. If you have asthma or are in bad health, decide if it is worth the risk of exposure. Be aware of wind direction. Know that if you are hit with pepper spray, you might have trouble breathing and be temporarily blinded, but you can still fight. Know how to treat yourself for exposure, esp if you are in a remote area. That may include using a dishwashing soap that breaks up the oil along with copiously amounts of fresh water. Resist the urge to rub your skin which can spread the effects.

If you are responsible, prepared and educated, pepper spray can be a useful tool for defense. If you are not, then you are taking more risk than needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #33

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Life is full of risks, and wouldn't be much fun without some of them. Bear spray is such a calculated risk. I like the odds.

You've been buried in advice, but here are two more blogs I think you may enjoy.

This lady travels in fiberglass, and describes her choice:
September 2016 - Supersize Life

Full-Time RVing: The First 100 Days – The Lady is a Tramp
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #34

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I hadn't read through the whole thread, but yes, any weapon can be used against you, even if you know how to use it, but especially if you don't. A weapon is no good to you if you aren't trained with it, and prepared to use it. I'm all for self defense, but I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to kill anyone. So I don't travel with a gun.

I ran into this woman down in southern Utah.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #35

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
If you want to feel safe in your trailer use some safety features such as door alarm that sticks on the door frame and magnet on door. Cost about $5 or less. Get you a can of wasp stream spray and keep it near you. Using it is legal and will stop anyone if sprayed in the eyes. Put a beware of dog sign on the trailer and set a huge pet water bowl outside the door. These are just some safety things that detour intruders or keep you safe. We also have a personal stun gun that is about 2X5 inches. It has a cord on it that goes around your wrist. If a person yanks it from you the cord will pull a pin that disarms it so it can't be used against you. It also has a very loud alarm if disarmed. It was $39 and we carry it when hiking. It can't be taken into Canada though. As far as not being safe in campgrounds just take a look at what it looks like. If you feel uneasy leave. A lot of National Park, State Park and forest campgrounds have hosts. If you want out in the boonies then do that but let someone know where you are and make plans to call them daily. Just go have fun. If I find myself alone at some time and I can still travel I will do it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #36

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Laury, heed KC's advice: positive attitude is everything (paraphrased)! It's how I've lived my life every day for almost 71 years, & there's no other way, frankly.

You'll come across all sorts of single women who are full-time RVers. Grouchy ones, sweet ones, inspiring ones, air-head ones, those with PhDs who gave up a life that was suffocating them, hustlers, Mother Theresas; the whole gamut, just like in "conventional" living. There are many on YouTube that you can follow and/or subscribe to their channel. You'll learn a lot, including how to stay safe. (I'm told that men's boots outside the door fools only the honest people. Bad guys have caught on. )

Sounds like you're doing some important planning well ahead of retirement. Good for you; you'll have time to research aspects of full-time RV living and be more prepared. As the brilliant philosopher, Dr. Seuss, once said, "Oh the places you'll go!"
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
...(I'm told that men's boots outside the door fools only the honest people. Bad guys have caught on. )...
Yes boots outside the door no longer work. The latest trick is to hang up a huge pair of men's underwear on a clothes rack outside the door.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #38

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Yes boots outside the door no longer work. The latest trick is to hang up a huge pair of men's underwear on a clothes rack outside the door.

LOL, with maybe a buckskin cap hanging next to it? Or, a RCMP uniform?
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #39

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Even when traveling with other women you need to stay vigilant. Men are not the only thieves around. "Wagon trains" are made up of strangers. It is not as if you are going to get a background check on everyone who joins in a group. People of both sexes can for whatever reason be in need of money, food, alcohol, drugs, etc.

Talk to some park rangers, they deal with these situations after they happen. But their goal will always be to help prevent campers from becoming a victim. They will have good practical advice for your personal and personal possessions safety without all the drama you get from responses in forums. For personal safety as a woman enroll in a course for it. Many police departments offer those course. If you can't find a course then ask a local officer to lunch or dinner with the understanding that you hope to have a conversation about the subject. It would be nice to choose a female officer for this talk. Of course there are also videos around on personal safety techniques. Get together with some women friends and practice the moves.

Rules of the road are much like those for children, especially the one about not taking candy from strangers. We had a local thief in the neighborhood who kept a dog to draw people to him. He would talk about wanting to find a good home for the dog which was a true sweet heart. Then he worked that into his wanting to do a home visit to make sure it was a good home. I met several people that he had promised to give the dog to, but of course he had no intention to do so. He also used the dog to lure women he met casually out on walks to the park over to him. One of his ways to lure people of both sexes in was to offer to lend them a book, that was to get them obligated to him so he could return for more contact. It was a real education to see this guy in operation. His "candy" varied depending on who he met and who he was talking to. A lot of times it was offering to help someone with electrical repairs, one time a woman showed up because he offered her a free car wash, she had a very nice convertible worth stealing. He offered cheap labor to help someone with their boat at the marina and got them to give him a key to the locked gate at the docks. Then he would use it to access other people's boat equipment. So avoid taking "candy" when someone you have just met immediately offers you some.

Don't talk or act like a helpless woman who can't do basic repairs or improvements, that in many ways tells someone you are a helpless woman who has no one around.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #40

Name: von
Trailer: Scamp13
South Carolina
I full timed for 5 yrs. Never had a problem. One trick I used was placing a 'girly hat' on one side of the dash of the tow vehicle and a guy type hat on the other side. If overnighting in a Walmart lot or such, try to get close to another RV, there are often others there.
One woman I heard about put a huge dog water bowl by the step and attached a large spiked dog collar on a leash tied to the door hand grip.
Also be careful not to get yourself into an iffy situation. If you see something that makes you uneasy, leave and find a campground. I have never had an uneasy night in a campground.
Good luck and go out there and enjoy!!!
YvonneGoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female, safety, solo