What is the one thing (or two or three) that you cannot live without? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #21

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
I second the Lafuma...
Also, a good cutting board. A wooden one doubles as a cheese board for your entertaining.

Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Monica,

A lot of this is so dependent on how you travel. How much you boondock, etc. And you as a person. The good thing is that you are not heading to sea, so there will be stores along the way, and you can buy things (and sell/pitch them, too).

1) A camper with no leaks and with good ventilation

2) A comfortable bed

3) Someplace comfy to read, with good light (not necessarily 110v). And reading material, of course.

4) A good sink

5) A good pan with a lid

6) Foot pump for water (haven't got this in camper yet, but extrapolating from boats. I like non-electric pumps for water conservation, but hand pumps drive me nuts for hand-washing)

7) A garden sprayer (for shower, rinsing things, washing, etc.

8) Assorted buckets, best if they "nest."

9) A place for everything and everything in its place (depends on how you define "thing" )

A few little things in addition to the digital stuff that has been mentioned. Not must haves, exactly, but nice and not much size/weight:

*Decks of cards

*Small indoor outdoor/min max thermometer/hygrometer (I have a really tiny one meant for a car). The sensor runs outside along with the electrical cord.

*Real glasses for drinking out of (at least sometimes; and only one or two, not full service for 12)

*Paper towels (I try to conserve on paper stuff, but paper towels rule)

*Hella Jetstream fan (or similar). Nice spot breeze and only draws .3 amp (for comparison, Endless Breeze draws about 1.5, although it obviously puts out a lot more air. The Jetstream is nice for sleeping, when you need a breeze, but it might be on for 8 hours, drawing amps. It's a 12 volt fan, meant for boats and nicely aimable. Not that an EB wouldn't be nice too

*Foamy can "coolers" --- and glass or plastic drinkwear sized so that it will fit into them too (don't always drink canned beverages, but they are great around glasses)

*kit of spices

*Collapsible 5-gallon water jugs (fold flattish when empty; useful for hauling water if necessary, or storing extra --- at least on a boat; haven't tried them in camper yet.

*Synthetic towel (like Packtowel). Thick and thirsty towels are great for home life, but take TONS of water to wash and stay damp forever.

*In warm climates, especially if humid: Nylon shorts and fleece sheets. Easy, quick washing and drying with minimal water. Don't get permanently damp like cotton. Fleece sheets, contrary to what you'd think, feel dry and cool when it's hot and muggy.

Okay, I'll stop now before I fill up your li'l egg

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi again - an couple added notes to the great TP debate ... there was once a thread here giving the results of a 'breakdown' test and IIRC, the winner was single-ply ScotTissue. We also go for fewer/smaller rather than bulk/cheaper - just our preference.

Friends who had a very 'cranky' septic system on their hobby farm always use a wastebasket for TP instead of flushing it - just used a ziplock if needed. Sounds to us like a very good way to prevent 'buildup' of additional solid waste in the black tank.

Oh, yeah - La Fuma! If we upgrade to a slightly larger tug, that's #1 on the list of additions.

Monica - have you checked the "for sale" links and referrals here lately - there is a side-bath 16ft Scamp in Phoenix are. Happy hunting! L 'n D
Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi again - an couple added notes to the great TP debate ... there was once a thread here giving the results of a 'breakdown' test and IIRC, the winner was single-ply ScotTissue. We also go for fewer/smaller rather than bulk/cheaper - just our preference.

Friends who had a very 'cranky' septic system on their hobby farm always use a wastebasket for TP instead of flushing it - just used a ziplock if needed. Sounds to us like a very good way to prevent 'buildup' of additional solid waste in the black tank.

Oh, yeah - La Fuma! If we upgrade to a slightly larger tug, that's #1 on the list of additions.

Monica - have you checked the "for sale" links and referrals here lately - there is a side-bath 16ft Scamp in Phoenix are. Happy hunting! L 'n D
Thanks for all the info and good advice, I am investigating each and every thing people are suggesting.

Regarding my "happy hunting", please check my newest thread....
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #25

Oh-ho ... just saw the 'announcement'! Way to go, Monica - now, hit the road! Look forward to meeting you and getting the Grand Tour in Bandera. Now ... every new baby needs a name, and ... BABY PICTURES! Congrats - L 'n D
Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Oh-ho ... just saw the 'announcement'! Way to go, Monica - now, hit the road! Look forward to meeting you and getting the Grand Tour in Bandera. Now ... every new baby needs a name, and ... BABY PICTURES! Congrats - L 'n D
Baby pictures will be forthcoming (if I can learn how to post them here, you might have to settle for a photobucket link) by the end of next week.

I am VERY fortunate to have found her so close to home. I will be traveling to my hometown (about 100 miles from me) where I have friends that know all about trailers as I am clueless on how propane, battery and all works. I plan to stay there in the desert for a couple of weeks, taking notes, practicing backing it up, driving roads I know and setting up a solar unit with the help of my knowledgable friends. When I am ready, it is TX to Escapees, set all that up and register my vehicles there in TX, then to AL to see family that I haven't seen in more than 10 years, then OH to see a friend, then across the country, depending on weather, to see my older brother in Northern CA. So far that is all I got for plans, and some of that may change, but at least now I have the opportunity. Bandera, I believe, would be a GREAT benefit to me. I get to meet so many of you and if I have any questions I know where to find you. I need to look again at the dates and make sure it is doable before I make my reservations, but I am really going to try, it is high on the priority list.

Hey, my new girl needs a bath, and as I will not have a home just as soon as I pick her up...how do you all suggest I find a place? One of those "bay" style car washes with the pressure washers that I control with coins? That is the only thing I can think of right now...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #27

Okay, what do you all think about this..

I own two of these

http://www.table-mate.com/html/index.php?vSec=about

My plans are to take them, I think they could be very handy camping and multi-use. For my laptop outdoors for instance, and a table when I have visitors (often). They are light weight, assemble and disassemble easily, take up almost no room. I really can see myself using them...of course, if I don't, then I will rid myself of them, but right off the bat, what do you all think? I value your opinion.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi,
I second the Lafuma...
Also, a good cutting board. A wooden one doubles as a cheese board for your entertaining.

Marjie
I've got Gander Mountain's version of the chair--and I love it. I got it on sale, so it wasn't that expensive. Since it's winter, the chair is in my office, which is lovely.

And I second the cutting board--mine spends most of its time over my sink, which gives me extra counter space in addition to its culinary applications.

-k
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I found that if I pull the flatware drawer out all the way, the front drops a small bit. I got one of the thin plastic cutting boards from Target and it fits right over the drawer, sliding into the gap and making a level cutting surface and extra counter space. When not in use, I store it vertically in the lower bunk, next to the kitchen unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp_cutting_board.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	18793
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
Mine is exactly like this one, only I paid nearly twice this much: Lafuma Futura Clipper, It's blue mesh. I didn't want one with padding (I have plenty of my own). I thought the mesh was a better choice for me since it was going to be used for camping... thought it might be good to just hose it off if necessary. Sure wish they made chairs like this only without the recliner leg portion. Maybe in the future.
Would this chair be what you have in mind? http://sitincomfort.com/lafumabeach1.html
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Like Pete mentioned, a small waste container that can be lined with plastic grocery bags. A two-gallon plastic paint bucket from someplace like Home Depot works well under the sink. I put a couple of small boxes (with the lids cut off) on the floor, under the galley sink, to organize supplies and just place the 2-gal bucket on top. Has been working real well in a casita, don't know how it would fit in a scamp.

Something to consider if there is a cabinet mounted high on the wall, off to the side when facing the galley sink, is to use it for your medicine cabinet and use the galley sink instead of the bathroom sink. Mount a mirror somewhere in the area. I clipped a car-visor mirror onto a cabinet door. One then does not need to mount those wire-cages on the bathroom walls or have one hanging from the shower. Then again, I'm not familiar with the scamp setup.

If you are going to do a lot of dry camping, look into an eton radio (hand crank, solar panel, LED flashlight).

A USB flash drive if you will be using a library computer at times. I still come across libraries without wi-fi.

A Coleman stove if you like cooking outdoors.

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Cabela's also makes a LaFuma style lounger which is very high quality and often goes on sale for half price. We have two and LOVE them. We are both large people and they are very sturdy and comfortable.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite (hull #3)
Sebastian's suggestion about a USB drive for librarys without wifi is a good one. There are so many books online for free these days. We particularly like re reading our old favorite classics. It just takes seconds to download whole books to a USB drive for later consumption.
A larger USB drive will let you down load movies for free from the internet at a public library's computer. Movies take a bit longer depending on their line speeds.
Larry Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #34

The "tablemate" looks like a snazzy, lightweight solution for your Egg. We use 2 aluminum folding tables that store away when not in use; the ones in the ad look even smaller & lighter. As you stated, try 'em out - if you don't like how they work for you, then you can make changes.

Others might disagree, but IMHO one should be careful when washing our FGTT's with a pressure washer. Sometimes you get unpeasant surprises like a leaking rivet or window molding. Of course, finding such leaks early on might be considered a plus so you can fix them right away. Just a thought, tho.

Looking forward to those pics - Photobucket or otherwise! L 'n D
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #35

Fantastic fan, solar panel, and a Wave catalytic heater

Microfiber towels are very useful since they have very little bulk and can be easily cleaned. I use them for dish towels, cleaning, and if used for dusting, they pick up a lot more dirt than a cotton towel. Great for cleaning blinds.

"Absorber" towels are just as useful. I use one as a bath towel. Regular bath towels are just too bulky for my living situation. Generally used for drying the tow vehicle and trailer

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #36

Quote:
The "tablemate" looks like a snazzy, lightweight solution for your Egg. We use 2 aluminum folding tables that store away when not in use; the ones in the ad look even smaller & lighter. As you stated, try 'em out - if you don't like how they work for you, then you can make changes.

Others might disagree, but IMHO one should be careful when washing our FGTT's with a pressure washer. Sometimes you get unpeasant surprises like a leaking rivet or window molding. Of course, finding such leaks early on might be considered a plus so you can fix them right away. Just a thought, tho.

Looking forward to those pics - Photobucket or otherwise! L 'n D
How should I wash it then? I really have no clue...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #37

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
monica....you mentionned your table plus...here is what dennis and i have used ours for for the past 2 years with zero troubles....
we simply put it under our cushions, on an angle and leave it there. it does not get in the way for my feet at all....fabulous for watching movies on the computer!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Table.jpg   Table2.jpg  

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
How should I wash it then? I really have no clue...
Soap and water and a bucket?

I don't have hose water at home, so I go to a "self service" car wash, but I don't use the wand on high pressure. I try to go at some "off" time of day when no-one is there, then I use a round to wet down and soap the trailer, and fill the bucket. Then I bucket wash (which is not cool if there are people waiting) or sometimes use their brush (swipe it on the wall first to make sure it's not greasy), and then put more money in and rinse, again without activating super high pressure.

Most things aren't that different than being at home, cleaning your kitchen or whatever. I mean, most people wouldn't blast their home windows with high-pressure either.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #39

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
have fun whatever you do. when i had my casita i used a dampened mr clean magic eraser on the outside where it was really dirty and had muddy splashes. used very little water. finished it with a dampened old towel to polish off. (you are getting rid of all the old towels anyway) no big puddles, no wasted water.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #40

I use Quick & Easy Wash by Protect All since water is generally an issue for me (the lack of). Quick & Easy does not require rinsing. After the wash, just wipe off with an Absorber towel.

Before you get out on the road, spray the front of your trailer with Protect All or something similar so it will be easy to clean whenever you get around to it.