What is the one thing (or two or three) that you cannot live without? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
This is an open to anything question. It could be anything from cooking utensils to what kind of rock guard or hitch, anything you can think of, please help.

Oh, one other thing that I have been meaning to ask (cause I am a dummy)...

As far as sway bars and WDH, which is better for say a 16' or 17' Scamp or Casita? Can I use both? I have no idea even what they look like so any pics would be appreciated also...thanks from the soon to be full timer with a LOT of newbie questions!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Monica! I'll preface this with the disclaimer "your mileage may vary" as we all know each has different 'needs'. That said, here goes. We are in our 3rd year of full-timing. We have no regrets and expect to continue for a looooong time. You will be astonished at the stuff you can live without! No television, no microwave, tunes on the laptop if desired - that's it.

For us the most important thing is communication - cell phone (even if only for emergencies) and laptop with Internet access. The laptop provides all the knowledge/imformation you might need (campgrounds, road conditions, local attractions, medical facilities, etc) as well as entertainment on rainy days inside the Egg. When boondocking we recharge the laptop(s) using a small inverter in the tug.

We also would not be without our small solar panel. We only use 12 volt for lighting and plan to replace those with LED's to conserve battery power. We were recently given 2 small panels which can recharge the laptop(s). We LOVE solar!

Since we are in a bare-bones 13-footer, we also gotta have our "shower tent" and Coleman battery-operated pump for boondocking. Wonderful luxury when out in the desert or otherwise away from 'ammenities".

You'll need a small tool kit for minor repairs. We have basic kitchen stuff and use an ice chest for cooling. We packed a microwave around the 1st year and never took it out of the van ... it is now blessing someone's dorm room in Boise! Ditto a toaster oven. However, at a yard sale I found a West Bend Ovenette to be used on the cooktop - we'll see how that works. Hope you find this info helpful and if you have other questions, just ask. Regards, L 'n D
Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will echo.. a laptop. On it, you can have, without the bulk..

all your music
all your pictures
all your documents
(and I REALLY mean ALL)
communication
even Television, if you have the right accessories.
If it can be digitized, it will be.

I just cleared my house in prep for full timing. I have with me now, but will go into storage (Or tossed) later.. all my photographs and CDs. Each is getting scanned and digitized. The CDs are getting squashed into MP3 (I worked in Audio for decades.. I don't care to carry all the fodder required for that extra enth of subjective fidelity, and the artwork on the cases ceased to amuse me long ago) I bought a scanner/printer/copier for 99 bucks and it is about the size of a breadbox.. HP excellent quality too. My MP3s can be played on the comp or on a player I got that is about the size of a matchbook. I do have my nice set of comp audio w/sub woofer that I intend to install permanently in the rig.

The pictures can be displayed on the comp, or a digital picture frame. I get to have my cake and eat it too.. the frame is going on the wall and the pics will scroll by and be LOOKED at instead of sitting in a dusty old book somewhere and forgotten about.

I brought enough clothes so that if I can't get to a w/d reasonably, I won't go dirty. 2 sets of bedding as well. I took all my "good" kitchenware from the house and will toss the second hand "camping" stuff in the Burro. (No reason not to! That's gonna be it for me, might as well keep the best)

I already outfitted the Burro with flat screen and micro. My solar is there (Tho it will morph constantly) and after much thought, yes, I DID bring my generator.

Cell phone.. yep, and an air card as well in case I am without a wifi spot.

My rig is fully dressed (Bath, fridge, AC etc) so it just tags along with me..

You will see the list does NOT include knick knacks, bling, books, musical instruments, 50 boxes of duplicate cables... or a wine cooler. Anything that can do double duty will (Why have 4 types of glasses.. they all do the same thing.. hold something yummy to drink.. ) and there is no need for a salad bowl, a soup bowl and a peanut bowl.

I also echo a small good quality tool kit. What you need in it is up to you, but don't skimp and get 99 cent store junk.

The list could go on, but the idea is for it NOT to. Decide what you need first, then decide what makes you happy second.. and select 1 or two of those things as tops.. chuck the rest.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Most of the FTimers we've met tell us the same thing. What they initially started with- by the end of the first year, they found they used very little of it and had gotten rid of it. Even the folks that thought they had a pretty good idea of what they would need said they didn't end up needing most of what they brought.

I think L&D and Gina have hit on some of the vitals and the rest is tuning to your personal habits over the years. It is definitely a learning experience. We thought we were doing great with a First Up Awning until we lived for 30 days last summer in the Scamp. Only used the dang thing 2 days, but I had to load and unload it the whole time. Came home and started looking at permanent awnings. Now have a bag awning that stays in place and we love it. Who knew??
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Well, so far I "think" I am doing okay. Beside digitizing everything, I have gotten rid of all my furniture, and I mean ALL of it (I am sleeping on a mattress pad on the floor), I am down to only two of all dishes, all plastic. One small fan, one small Bose stereo and clothes. I, of course, am not including toiletries and food/cookware, but all my glass cookware is gone except one small cassarole dish. I have one decent sized skillet and pot/lid. My laptop (with air card) and printer. Cell phone. Five pairs of shoes (hiking boots, tennis shoes and some boots for work camping when I need to.) I will have a small SUV for storage and supplies as I plan on "stocking up" by buying Wal-Mart TP, paper towels and such in larger quantities for thrift. That is about all I have kept from 20 yrs of accumulating STUFF, to tell you the truth, so glad to see it all go, was getting sick of looking at it and cleaning it anyway.

I will also bring a table for outdoors for a small BBQ, one of those niffty ones that fold up real nice and are very light weight. Bedding, two of each. A small four cup coffe pot...I think that is about it...

The digital picture frame sounds like a really good idea, I will look into it.

I am sure I am forgetting about some stuff I am bringing, but so far (and I am about done cleaning out my cupboards) it all fits in a corner of one room.

I have tent camped a lot, but my plan, which is finally coming to fruition here in about a week, is to ditch the real world and go full timing for a long time (ten years?) right off the bat. Tow vehicle to be purchased Monday and trailer just asap, looking for the perfect one. I am looking for a 16-17' scamp or casita, full bath of course.

Something that I thought of that I will need to change is deoderant believe it or not. I use an aresol and have to run from the over spray as not to cough, so I figure it is time to switch to a solid...lol, just the little things. Same with my leave in conditioner for my hair, it is a spray, but leaves residue on the floor/every where, will buy one for the shower instead.

I do plan on purchasing a solar kit and you all may see me at Bandera for some help with that???

I know I have a lot to learn, I have never owned a trailer of towed a big one, but I am willing to learn and take notes along the way. I don't know what an inverter is for my laptop though??? If you could post pics L 'n D, I would appreciate it. It is going to be quite the adventure!

I am getting good advice here, and thanks, will be checking the thread regularly so keep them coming.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Goodness, why ever have plastic plates when you can have paper? Use the straw or plastic backers to make them stronger -- Better still, eat out of pot! You will pump less water (Save battery), use less water (Refill less often) and generate less gray water (Dump less often) with paper.

Re: Stocking up on TP, I went the other way and buy in small quantities at a time -- Costs a little more but takes up less space.

BTW, get a small wastebasket, sized to use grocery store plastic bags -- When full, tie bags and put in CG dumpster or in grocery store trash barrel at front door.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Goodness, why ever have plastic plates when you can have paper? Use the straw or plastic backers to make them stronger -- Better still, eat out of pot! You will pump less water (Save battery), use less water (Refill less often) and generate less gray water (Dump less often) with paper.

Re: Stocking up on TP, I went the other way and buy in small quantities at a time -- Costs a little more but takes up less space.

BTW, get a small wastebasket, sized to use grocery store plastic bags -- When full, tie bags and put in CG dumpster or in grocery store trash barrel at front door.
I plan on using paper plates, the really cheap ones , but the plastic is for steaks (lost one off a paper plate more than once) and when I have a guest (will be seeing family, friends along the way). I am hoping to do any dishes outside if there is a water source or if not, I will have a small "bucket" with water in it in the sink...I can do most of this outside though as I have when tent camping many a time with no water source. I am a pro and when I figure it out exactly in my egg I will post it. Eating out of the pot sounds good too, always wanted to be a hobo like that!

I do plan on entertaining out of my egg on occassion and need the barest of essentials for that. (Booze, forks...a cocktail stirrer...J/K on the stirrer )
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:

Oh, and yes to the small waste basket, I have also been known to tie one of those store bags to the table outside and use it.

As far as stocking up, I am pretty sure I will have plenty of room in the TV for those supplies, some canned goods and dog food. Spending less means being able to stay on the road longer, I am sure I will make adjustments along the way, but so far, if I have the room in the TV, I will go cheaper...I think...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Something that I thought of that I will need to change is deoderant believe it or not. I use an aresol and have to run from the over spray as not to cough, so I figure it is time to switch to a solid...lol, just the little things.
Good thinking there, Monica!

I use Arid XX Dry on my feet before hiking to prevent blisters. I used to sit in the door with my feet outside but it still occasionally blew into the Casita and is very cough inducing.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Exclamation

TWO THINGS I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT

Kathy and MacGregor.

They're my whole famn damily when we're on our across the US and back trip each year.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
KathyAndMacYellowstone2008.jpg  
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One truly comfortable chair (think Lafuma recliner!) for outdoor living. ahhhhhh comfy now
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Be careful what kind of TP you use.

Regular TP will NOT fall apart in the tank and cause problems.

Get RV or Marine kind of TP.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:

Bill K
Thanks Bill, I was wondering about that...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:

Bill K
Speaking of that, actually, my parents preferred to put the TP in a little waste basket, I don't think they ever "flushed" it.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
One truly comfortable chair (think Lafuma recliner!) for outdoor living. ahhhhhh comfy now
Gosh, when you mentioned it on another thread, I looked them up, they are kind of expensive, but I don't think there is any better advertisement than those from actual users. My pension check was more than I expected, hmmm....
Old 03-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #16

Monica, I've yet to hear from one Lafuma chair owner that would ever give it back. There are knock-offs, but I can't attest to the quality or comfort. I saved for a long time to buy my recliner... it was prior to being made fairly widely available in the U.S.A. I've never regretted the purchase. These are the same chairs and recliners sold in "Rest Your Back" stores, for people with back problems/ conditions. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Monica, I've yet to hear from one Lafuma chair owner that would ever give it back. There are knock-offs, but I can't attest to the quality or comfort. I saved for a long time to buy my recliner... it was prior to being made fairly widely available in the U.S.A. I've never regretted the purchase. These are the same chairs and recliners sold in "Rest Your Back" stores, for people with back problems/ conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Is one model better than others? There are quite a few.

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I found that the Scott brand of toilet paper (the "model" that comes in individual, paper-wrapped rolls) dissolved in water quite well, as did the Seventh Generation single rolls. I tested them (against others) by placing one sheet in a jar of water, giving a shake, and waiting.

Preparing for a long sail, the marine TP was not desirable because they do not pack that much onto a roll, and I needed to get maximum amount of paper stowed (three cases each of paper towels and toilet paper, as it turns out - got back and had one roll of TP left ).

Just another data point; not saying there's anything wrong with marine TP.

Oh, and although I tested the "dissolption" in water, we, too, put the paper in a special wastebasket, instead of flushing it, most of the time. Really saves space in the holding tank.

Raya

PS: Meant to add that although you'll get lots of help here, you can also Google things like "weight distributing hitch" and "inverter" and you'll get background information. You can use the "image" part of Google to get photos. That's what I often do just to get an idea what's being talked about.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
As far as sway bars and WDH, which is better for say a 16' or 17' Scamp or Casita? [b]Can I use both? I have no idea even what they look like so any pics would be appreciated also...
A lot will depend on your tow vehicle. My Honda Odyssey's owner's manual stated that due to front wheel drive, a [b]Weight[b] Distribution [b]Hitch is required to tow a trailer near the maximum weight rating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0636.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	18775
My rig parked beside Gina D's rig.

Name:	000_0639.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	18776
350 lb spring-arms.

Weight Distribution Hitches need to be sized to match your expected tongue weight. Many standard sized assemblies START
at [b]600 lb rating and go up. There are only a few that are rated for [b]400 lbs or less.
Look in an RV parts catalog for those advertised for pop-up trailers.

Name:	000_0640.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	18777
spring-arm with "across mounted" lift handle.

I also have a "Friction" Anti-sway Bar, but do not have it on the rig in this photograph. I find that I don't need it.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Is one model better than others? There are quite a few.

Pam
Mine is exactly like this one, only I paid nearly twice this much: Lafuma Futura Clipper, It's blue mesh. I didn't want one with padding (I have plenty of my own). I thought the mesh was a better choice for me since it was going to be used for camping... thought it might be good to just hose it off if necessary. Sure wish they made chairs like this only without the recliner leg portion. Maybe in the future.