Which states have mild winters and no tornadoes? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #121

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Average Tornadoes by state
Click image for larger version

Name:	GUID-D7B5147C-98E8-4447-B767-74BAC1767BBC-web.png
Views:	32
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	116963
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #122

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes, shorts always in season? Fl in the summer time? Central FL in the summertime? My Daddy said you can always put clothes on to stay warm, but you can only take so much off to stay cool....

Of course this was before air conditioning. But then if you are going to be indoors because the air conditioning is needed, does it matter where you are?

At least in OK you can dig a hole, put 6" of concrete over the top, then 2" of dirt and relax when the tornado runs over the top. Do that in FL and you will probably flood, or find out you are over a sinkhole, or play host to those alligator thingies...

But then that is why we have TT's isn't it? To move if we need to.

I just hope I never find out how well my Casita flys....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #123

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Waiting for summer to start so we can head to Northern Canada.
Great weather , Great people , Great fishing
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #124

Tennessee
Red face

Now Northern CA is the place you oughtta be...

FL in winter, CA in summer...isn't that called a Snowbird...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #125

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Average Tornadoes by state
Attachment 116963
Interesting, but it only tells half the story. The other half is the relative severity of the tornadoes. Most of the "tornadoes," especially outside tornado alley, are small EF-0's that break branches, tear up awnings, occasionally knock over small trailers, but are rarely life threatening.

A more enlightening map would be the number of EF-2's and higher by state.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #126

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
this stuff almost wiped Joplin mo off the map!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #127

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Now Northern CA is the place you oughtta be...

FL in winter, CA in summer...isn't that called a Snowbird...
Unless you actually reside in Florida and go north in the summer to get to the cooler climates. Then you are a Sunbird.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #128

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Interesting, but it only tells half the story. The other half is the relative severity of the tornadoes. Most of the "tornadoes," especially outside tornado alley, are small EF-0's that break branches, tear up awnings, occasionally knock over small trailers, but are rarely life threatening.

A more enlightening map would be the number of EF-2's and higher by state.
and also, places like California have wildly differing climates depending on exactly where you are. The central coast, where I live, is very mild all year around, rarely below 45F in the winter, rarely above 85F in the summer. Go just a few miles inland, and the temperatures are far more extreme. go to the High Sierra a few hours east of me, and you're talking 50+ feet of snow in the typical winter. Southern state, places like Death Valley have recorded 134F highs. up on the north coast where my daughter goes to school, it rains almost all year around and is deep lush temperate rain forest.

I have lived around Monterey Bay for 40 years now, and I don't think I've *EVER* heard of an actual tornado anywhere near here. I remember there was a freak double tornado somewhere in the greater SF bay area about 40 years ago.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #129

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's true. Mountains and hilly terrain tend to disrupt large storms and decrease their intensity. Cooler climates don't have the energy to generate super cells.

To get the really big tornadoes, you need moisture, lots of heat, and relatively flat terrain.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #130

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Maine has very few hurricanes, almost no earth quakes, but we do get about 10 feet of snow over the winter with temps as low as minus 20.
We have 7 seasons, Winter...Spring...Mud...Black Fly...Summer...Fall...Wood Cutting...then Winter again
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #131

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Maine has very few hurricanes, almost no earth quakes, but we do get about 10 feet of snow over the winter with temps as low as minus 20.
We have 7 seasons, Winter...Spring...Mud...Black Fly...Summer...Fall...Wood Cutting...then Winter again
You've just beautifully described HEAVEN !!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #132

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and also, places like California have wildly differing climates depending on exactly where you are. The central coast, where I live, is very mild all year around, rarely below 45F in the winter, rarely above 85F in the summer. Go just a few miles inland, and the temperatures are far more extreme. go to the High Sierra a few hours east of me, and you're talking 50+ feet of snow in the typical winter. Southern state, places like Death Valley have recorded 134F highs. up on the north coast where my daughter goes to school, it rains almost all year around and is deep lush temperate rain forest.

I have lived around Monterey Bay for 40 years now, and I don't think I've *EVER* heard of an actual tornado anywhere near here. I remember there was a freak double tornado somewhere in the greater SF bay area about 40 years ago.
I agree on the wide variables in climates in California. Even in Northern CA alone there is wide variety. As an example, think Seattle is a rainy place? My northern California town on average gets 12 more inches of rain per year than those Seahawks fans.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #133

Mid Left Coast
Old 03-23-2018, 03:01 AM   #134

Mid Left Coast
(note different rainfall scale)

Old 03-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #135

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
I agree on the wide variables in climates in California. Even in Northern CA alone there is wide variety. As an example, think Seattle is a rainy place? My northern California town on average gets 12 more inches of rain per year than those Seahawks fans.
the Olympic peninsula to the west of Seattle gets massive rain. gorgeous place.

of course we go up there, and get blue skies!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170824_170109.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #136

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Lived through all that Gerry in Michigan, spring was good but sure glad it's a big country to choose a location to live in. The rest of your seasons listed sure aren't heaven to the 1000's or million's from the northern areas that travel south to avoid those. The last time I sat in a shack ice fishing through a hole in the ice on a lake I swore I'd never do it again.....still batting 1000 after 60 years .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #137

NW Wisconsin
We grew up in Minnesota , retired in NW,Wisconsin. If we were to move again it would be to go even farther North maybe Canada
We went South or SW for 4 winters and it held no charm for us.
We always felt like strangers , we never felt comfortable , at ease or welcome , it just wasn't for us. I have extremely bad hearing and that may have contributed to me having a language barrier which pribably made it more difficult
That's why I like having a trailer , I can go where I want yet still know I will be returning home.
If the worst thing you can say about the Midwest is Snow or Cold
then I think we have succeeded . For us it is HOME.

** I will admit we are going camping in Southern Minnesota in a few weeks in order to get an early taste of Spring.**
Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #138

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
"Central Florida" covers alot of territory. Some parts are way better than others. Orlando for example has some of the highest crime rates in the country, while other parts of CF have low crime. Sometimes it changes dramatically within just a couple miles.
We live in the other Florida, country Florida. Our town has about 4,000 residents. It's the county seat. The nearest larger town is 20 miles, the closet real city is Sarasota or Lakeland, each about 50 miles. We're talking real cattle ranches, farms and groves. Recently they've been adding acres of blueberries.

It's not as rural as Newfoundland however it's a nice area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #139

Tennessee
I lived at the presidio of Monterey a few years back and fell in love with California. Then the last 3 camping seasons have been hanging around SoCal because a son lived in LA. Fell out of love with California. Don't like the SW until you get to Utah, Northern AZ etc.

Grew up in MI. We use to say MI has 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding. Still enjoy it and have to go back now and then, black flies and all, oh, and mosquito's.

We now live in TN. Wife is from TN. She likes to feed birds. When she put up the hummingbird feeder years ago and the first little fellows showed up I panicked. I yelled for my wife to get the baseball bat. I though MI mosquitos had finally migrated to TN.

So many beautiful places to see, thats why we drag a TT around...
Old 03-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #140

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Tennessee has some truly beautiful country Henry. One of our favorite destinations for spring and fall especially. Most places we've camped there felt like we were the only ones, even though we weren't, because of the dense woods.