Wi FI at a seasonal campground - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Starlink invite

Well I am about 100 northwest of Green Bay, WI and I've been signed up since beginning I haven't got an invite.

QUOTE=South Coast Stu;799308]More info on StarLink:https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacexs-s...AUcWpE5QucPEoI

Sounds like a great option for RV'ers

I would think that if they have coverage in Texas they would have coverage in some other southern parts of the US?[/QUOTE]
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #22

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigangelman View Post
Well I am about 100 northwest of Green Bay, WI and I've been signed up since beginning I haven't got an invite.
Patience
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Yes, Consumer Cellular uses both AT&T and T-Mobil. YOUR phone will use one or the other. Years ago when I started using CC they sent me a T-Mo SIM and for some reason I was unsatisfied. (I can't remember why and it likely isn't true any longer.) They sent me an AT&T SIM and I was happy.
Sorry I'm not following the thread and might be off topic..

But this post is correct. I've been with Consumer Cellular for maybe a decade... its great for light users. But they do try to save a little by using T-Mobil in addition to AT&T networks, and we had two phones replaced which were on AT&T originally but when replaced came with T-Mobil SIMs. The first time it was PIA in the figure out why the service suddenly got so bad. Finally they sent a AT&T SIM and it was back to normal. With the second phone I did not waste time when the service was bad with a new phone. I called and requested an AT&T sim. Again, problem solved. I love Consumer Cellular but they are not upfront about what network you are on unless you make specific inquiry.

And BTW.. for me WiFi calling option is the worst. I tired many times to use it save my minutes and thereby save $5 a month at CC... worst idea I ever had. Even in my marginal cell area, WiFi is vastly inferior. Here in the sticks, both cell service and internet are marginal. YMMV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #24

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And BTW.. for me WiFi calling option is the worst. I tired many times to use it save my minutes and thereby save $5 a month at CC... worst idea I ever had. Even in my marginal cell area, WiFi is vastly inferior. Here in the sticks, both cell service and internet are marginal. YMMV.
With unlimited phone calls (within the U.S.) I have no financial incentive for VOIP. In spite of that I am fond of Google Voice for it's voice-to-text transcriptions of phone mail to my e-mail. That, and I can read my texts at my PC.

If I were to use Google Voice away from home then I would be trading my no incremental cost phone service for some cost in my data plan.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #25

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
More on Starlink: https://arstechnica.com/information-...for-data-caps/

Don't ask about " DishyMcFlatface ".
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #26

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
As far as campground wifi goes, does the quality improve if you move your laptop or phone closer to the base station? If so, then a more directional antenna might help (like a Ubiquiti Nanostation, or the Wifi Ranger). If not, then the problem is that their upstream connection sucks and there's nothing you can do to help with that other than persuading them to upgrade it (which may not be possible).
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
In our travels the experience is that most campgrounds do not have wireless with enough bandwidth to stream video in the evenings. Strong signal or not.
Email and text OK, but heavy usage probably not.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote