Winter tales - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hi there,

Melanie and I are Campground Hosts at Lake Norman State Park in NC for November. We are going to Sesquicentennial State Park in SC, maybe, for the month of December as hosts. We are looking for a good campground in Lexington County (or at least near Lexington, SC), for January to June. I got a 6 month teaching gig in Lexington. All is well in the Casita Kat. We are 6 months into our second year plus living experiment in our Casita.

Joe and Melanie

Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Joseph& Melanie... I am with envy!!! Once I retire I wouldn't mind trying "The Life Style". The biggie??? is; can I(We) cut the ties that bind. We have started to rid us of some of the 30yr. collection o' junk so if we do sell up and turn "Nomadic" it'll be less binding!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #3

Hi again,

we have left lake Norman and are now hosts at Sesquicentennial State Park in Columbia, SC until January, then it is off to River Bottom Campground in Swansea SC for a long winter/spring stop.

Stop and say HI.

Joseph and Melanie

Click image for larger version

Name:	mel_and_joe_campground_hosts.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	17029
Old 12-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

Hi all,

just thought we would update folks on our hosting experiences.

Lake Norman was great. Basically we had to collect fees in the evening (it was cold and not many campers came to a primitive campground), clean firepits, rake tent pads, clean up campsite, and blow leaves (with gasoline powered blower). Expected minimum of 20 hours a week work. It was great. The campground is beautiful. The sites are great. All primitive sites except for the hosts (we had electric, water, and sewer). We had a week of freezing temps, even 18 degrees so the tenters did not show up much. A number of rigs drove through, asked about hook-ups and left. Funny people don't always check before driving 20 miles out of their way.

Sesquicentennial State Park - here my main job is cleaning the restrooms/showers, emptying trash containers, general clean-up and greeting new campers. There is another host who cleans firepits, etc. Once again, minimum of 20 hours/week expected (there are some odd jobs the rangers want help with, some painting, etc. But they have been too busy, so nothing yet). WE average four sites an evening. Here the sites all have water and electric so there are mostly RV's. They don't normally use the showers and toilets so there has been little work to do. We have electric and water but need to use our waste water wheeled thingy to empty. No big problem, since we use the facilities we clean.

We have been using our electric heater and staying warm. Have had to disconnect water hose a few nights when it was in the teens. No complaints about the Casita (the bathroom does get cold when you leave the door shut. Our two cats seem to be healthy and re-adapted to life in the Casita.
I have still not fixed my two appliances on 20 lb tank yet, but i think I will do it myself and cut one hose, put in T connect new and old hose and be done with it.

Melanie is in NYC (doctors, dentists and friends) and then Canada for Christmas. I'll be here if you want to visit. Probably go up to my brother's in NC for Christmas.

Happy St. Nick's Day

Joe
Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

Hi there,

70 degrees warm here today. About ten campsites occupied and the park was not crowded today. Used that blue portable waste water thing yesterday to empty. Probably easier to move the Casita, but I have the First UP and the picnic table in front of it, sooo.

Doing some projects for the park. Fixing picnic tables and doing some outside painting.

Wondering about living in the Casita and going to work every day for 6 months....

Joe
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #6

Hi there,

It is cold. Low of 21 yesterday and never got above 33. Last night it was 11. Used electric heater set low on floor and propane furnace set at about 65. Casita was between 66 and 68 all night.

Disconnected from all shore water and ran small 12 volt fan to blow warm air under bed towards back of Casita. Looks like we made it. About 40 out there now.

BTW, people always mention moisture, but not the lack of it. We had dry/sore throats this morning. Made coffe in Casita and felt relief with moisture in air from boiling water. I think it is too dry at night.

Joe and Melanie

River Bottom farms
Swansea SC
Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it sounds all too cozy to me. I love it when it's cold outside, but warm and toasty in the trailer!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Sounds good to me, too!! I can hardly wait to start camping again. The weather in Central Illinois is starting to look promising, and our bulbs are starting to come up at home.

(How's it going, Gina? Is your menagerie settling in at the campground?)
Pamela
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
all is well! Thx
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Quote:
all is well! Thx
So good to hear that! My Iggie, Isabella, says hello to the beagles. I really AM getting cabin fever. Ready to get outside without tons of overcoats again. My in-laws took their camper to Texas for the winter and I threatened to stowaway under the bed.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote