Work camping with pets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 12:31 AM   #1

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
Work camping with pets?

I’ll be retiring soon, and have been checking out the opportunities to camp host at national and state parks. Does anyone know what the policies are regarding having pets? I’ll be traveling with a cat and dog.
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I work in a private campground that is very pet friendly and many work campers have dogs or cats.
The biggest issue is while working your animal has to stay in your site and as long as they are well cared for and do not bark there is no problem.
Most of the workers who do have dogs are couples and the schedules are set up so one is not working while the other is so there is no problem.
And there is no dogs on your golf cart.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I often see camp hosts in State, National Forrest, and private campgrounds with dogs. State campgrounds may depend upon rules of that particular state.
We do spend much time at a campground in Western NY that does not allow dogs. While I love dogs, my love of dogs are for those that are well trained and don't bark (at least when told not to). People often think there are good dogs and bad dogs, but I like to think trained dogs and untrained dogs. Untrained dogs have no place in public. Just my humble opinion.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
To make my point, just today, a camper came in beside us. They have a dog that seems like a nice dog, friendly and all, but not trained. It keeps wandering from their camp site to visit. The owner will say, "come here". Then he repeats the same command but a little louder. Then again as the dog doesn't listen, louder. Then again louder.
Obviously the owner never put in the time and effort to train the dog. Since the dog is actually pretty cool, though untrained, the owner repeating commands is much more annoying than the dog.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think it is really going to depend on where you wll be. You might try asking at the Escapees forum (free to join) as they have a workcamping section & pet section: https://www.rvnetwork.com/
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
To make my point, just today, a camper came in beside us. They have a dog that seems like a nice dog, friendly and all, but not trained. It keeps wandering from their camp site to visit. The owner will say, "come here". Then he repeats the same command but a little louder. Then again as the dog doesn't listen, louder. Then again louder.
Obviously the owner never put in the time and effort to train the dog. Since the dog is actually pretty cool, though untrained, the owner repeating commands is much more annoying than the dog.
One rule I have had with the dogs I have had and their training is that there is no way I would want to, or would, repeat a command. They just need to be trained to listen.

A well trained dog has many great benefits. An untrained one can be a real bother despite it possibly being a nice animal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't think I've been to a campground that did not allow dogs, but almost all of them require the dogs to be on a leash, at all times, when outside.

We are currently camping in Alabama at a city owned park, and there is no leash rule that I've seen. That is unusual. I normally camp on BLM land in the desert, or forest, and it is not a problem.

One problem is when dog owners leave their dog in the trailer when they go somewhere and the poor dog barks the entire time.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
One problem is when dog owners leave their dog in the trailer when they go somewhere and the poor dog barks the entire time.
This is true. Our dog looked settled on the bed. No distress.
I don't think it started barking until we pulled out of the campsite. Neighbour reported, when we returned, that the dog barked the entire time we were away.

You may think the dog is fine in the trailer, but you are likely wrong.