Would a 13' foot Scamp be too small for me and two dogs? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill&sandra View Post
Escape weighs 2200lbs. Similar to a Scamp 16 with bath.
An Escape 19'? right? 2200lbs? Did you strip out all the standard equipment?

Thats about 400lbs lighter than Escapes stated dry weight for it and about 900lbs lighter than the lightest loaded one on the Real World Weight thread. And 1700lbs lighter than the heaviest listed.

My 16' side bath Scamp with no AC BTW was also one of the lightest on the Real World Weight thread & it weighed in many times at between 2500/2600lbs with little to no water in the tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
That's why we really like the escape! The bed is just a bed, side bath n kitchen, front dinette!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My two story house, full basement, attached garage, with a shop and skid shed out back is too small for me and two dogs.
I did meet a lady with a Casita13, who traveled with 6 (YES SIX) dogs and she seemed to have room for all of them!
So we know it CAN be done! Some might even enjoy it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My wraparound couch design can be configured into a 34" bunk and a 20" two person dinette table permanently setup on the widebed models while still having the option to drop the table and make it into a full bed.
With the older standard model that would be a full 30" bunk and a 14" wide dinette table. The seating would of course still be wraparound for roomy comfort.

The pictures show the 20" table set up with the bench at 24" all around. The rear pulls out to 34" if a person were to travel alone leaving the table up.... or drop the table and make the 54" bed for two.
Well Floyd, as partly based on your innovative designs, I went ahead and decided to purchase a 13' Scamp that's in AZ!!!! I would love to know more if you don't mind, so I might pm you. Thanks, Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Here's what I would do for only one person. I'd ditch the big table and build a bridge across the back of the dinette wide enough to serve as a single bed, making it into a U-shaped seating area. A small pedestal table or even a folding TV table would easily serve for indoor dining, and there'd be space to sit on the sides without disturbing the bed at the back.

Floyd has done this- hope he will see this and show you pictures.
Thank you so much Jon in AZ! Speaking of AZ, I'll be in your state in approx. three weeks, buying my Scamp 13.

I would like to know a bit more about how this would be done.

Margaret
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Have you set foot inside a 13' Scamp with bath to see how it feels, imagine where you would fit your things, and so on? I would never buy a trailer without at least being inside one like it (same size and layout).

Oh well, if you decide at some point that it's too small, you will be able to sell it for just about what you paid. And you will have had a nice trip (picking up the Scamp) thrown into the bargain.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Have you set foot inside a 13' Scamp with bath to see how it feels, imagine where you would fit your things, and so on? I would never buy a trailer without at least being inside one like it (same size and layout).

VERY good point!! When I was first looking for a small trailer I was very sure I wanted a Scamp 13' - that was until I got a chance to sitting in one

Quickly changed my focus to find a 16'.

When first shopping for my current trailer I was sure I wanted one of a certain layout & size... again that was until I got to sit in one... ...
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #28

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
VERY good point!! When I was first looking for a small trailer I was very sure I wanted a Scamp 13' - that was until I got a chance to sitting in one

Quickly changed my focus to find a 16'.

When first shopping for my current trailer I was sure I wanted one of a certain layout & size... again that was until I got to sit in one... ...
Getting inside one can really make a difference! My husband thought a 13 foot would be sooooo small, too small for a family of four. We drove up to the mountains and looked at a 13 foot Boler with front bunks, and he fell in love with the layout! Couldn't believe how much space there was. So instead of a 16 foot with bath, we bought a Scamp 13 with bunks. So we did the opposite!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #29

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Well Floyd, as partly based on your innovative designs, I went ahead and decided to purchase a 13' Scamp that's in AZ!!!! I would love to know more if you don't mind, so I might pm you. Thanks, Margaret
Congratulations on your purchase! Can't wait to see pictures when you get it picked up!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Would a 13' foot Scamp be too small for me and two dogs?

Good advice, Mike and Carol, when it's possible. Some are constrained by time and/or geography, making it difficult.

Sometimes you just have to start with what you can find and make it work. Later, if you determine something different will work better, you can look for the "perfect" trailer while you enjoy the one you have.

With a well-maintained molded fiberglass trailer, especially the smaller ones, selling is pretty easy and painless.

Best wishes on your new trailer, Margaret!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Good advice, Mike and Carol, when it's possible. Some are constrained by time and/or geography, making it difficult.
While I agree one can always get by with any layout I have to ask why take the chance if you really do not need to?

Having purchased my last two trailers sight unseen & well outside my geographic location (actually outside my own country) I fully understand the problems with used trailer purchases.

BUT one can usually find a trailer of the same make and layout - although perhaps not the same age or condition one might be looking for & go see it to at least get a feel for whether it is or is not the right trailer. Heck when I purchased my first Scamp there was only one other one registered in BC with our local government at the time - they were and to some extent still are a rare thing in these parts - But I still managed to find one within a half days drive to go look at before deciding which size I could live with.

Look at Craigslist and go see one for sale - even if you have no intention of purchasing it (be nice and let the seller know ahead of time you are just looking). Ask on this forum for an owner near you who is willing to let you take a peak at theirs. If the trailer is still being made ask the manufacture for a referral to an owner near you. Unless the trailer is a very rare trailer with few coming up on the market it should not be difficult to find one to see first hand before heading off over 4 or 5 states/provinces to purchase one sight unseen. ;-)

While I agree one can always get by with any layout/size I have to ask why take the chance if you really do not need to.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's the owner not the trailer

I see happy people in all sizes of trailers and have met sad RVers in giant Motorhomes.

On our NL Caravan we have one trailer, a 25 foot big foot, that is almost twice as long as the smallest a Scamp 13. The Bigfoot is 99 inches wide compared to a Scamp 13's 80 inches.

The Big foot's fridge is huge, a normal person could almost sleep in it. It just means they carry more food and shop less often. Both couples are happy.

It all begins with you,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #33

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
I have a 16 ft scamp & camp extended periods with 2 doggies. It's a perfect match & tows easily w my 4 runner. With that said, am upgrading to 2017 17b escape in February 2017. Can't imagine full timing in a 13. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #34

North Carolina
Ok, so this is what I'd like to do:

Hi all,

First of all, the Scamp I'm buying is a 2016 that was never used; due to confidentiality, I'm not going to explain why.

This is what I'd like to do, thanks to Floyd and Jon:

I don't want to get as fancy as Floyd did. I would simply like to ditch the table and place a plank across the seats in order to have (a) more room, and (b) a dedicated single sized bed.

However, a carpenter/contractor I'm not, so I would love some "how to" tips.

This forum has been great for me!!

Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! Can't wait to see pictures when you get it picked up!
Thanks emij,

Do remind me!

Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I see happy people in all sizes of trailers and have met sad RVers in giant Motorhomes.

On our NL Caravan we have one trailer, a 25 foot big foot, that is almost twice as long as the smallest a Scamp 13. The Bigfoot is 99 inches wide compared to a Scamp 13's 80 inches.

The Big foot's fridge is huge, a normal person could almost sleep in it. It just means they carry more food and shop less often. Both couples are happy.

It all begins with you,
I like the first line. I bet there probably are some sad folks in the giant motor homes!

Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #37

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkightly View Post
I have a 13 with bath and two small dogs. I wouldn't do it without the bath, I hate peeing in the woods at night in the cold. I'm going to change the standard bed to a U shape, the design I just saw on the scamp site looks totally doable for me - and I'm terrible with tools. Good luck and happy scamping.
Hi Kkightly,

Would you mind giving me a bit more info. about that, or can you direct me to a link?

Thanks, Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #38

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
In my opinion, it's too small.

Camping in a 13' trailer and living in the same trailer are two very different things. In my view a bathroom is essential for your particular situation and 13' with bathroom is very small. There is also the question of how often do expect to actually tow the trailer or will you be stationary for extended periods of time?

In either case I would seriously consider something bigger and don't fear Margaret, the 16' trailer is not much different then the 13' from a towing perspective. It may even tow better and you won't regret the extra space.

Randy
Randy, I appreciate the thought, but it's too late!!

I made a down payment on the 13 footer, but hope to modify the design a bit (of the bed/dinette).

Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #39

North Carolina
Quote:
Here's what I would do for only one person. I'd ditch the big table and build a bridge across the back of the dinette wide enough to serve as a single bed, making it into a U-shaped seating area. A small pedestal table or even a folding TV table would easily serve for indoor dining, and there'd be space to sit on the sides without disturbing the bed at the back.

Floyd has done this- hope he will see this and show you pictures.
Ok, ditch the table, and build a bridge . . . I misunderstood the first time I read this.

Margaret
Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #40

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My wraparound couch design can be configured into a 34" bunk and a 20" two person dinette table permanently setup on the widebed models while still having the option to drop the table and make it into a full bed.
With the older standard model that would be a full 30" bunk and a 14" wide dinette table. The seating would of course still be wraparound for roomy comfort.

The pictures show the 20" table set up with the bench at 24" all around. The rear pulls out to 34" if a person were to travel alone leaving the table up.... or drop the table and make the 54" bed for two.
Hi Floyd,

Your info. has proven to be really valuable for me. Now, it would be great if you could provide me with a "plan" or something of the sort?

Also, did you use entirely new cushions, or how did you figure that part out?

Thanks so much!

Margaret

Tags
scamp