17 casita for 2 thousand.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
17 casita for 2 thousand....

Sounds too good to be true but posted just 6 hours ago.

Search ann arbor mich craigslist for ad.

Just one pic posted.

Sorry i do not know how to post a link on my tablet.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
SCAM!
Minnesota area code
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Looked. Didn't see it. Nothing in search results.
Attached Thumbnails
annarbor search.JPG  
Old 05-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Probably already flagged & removed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Fortunately scammers haven't figured out how to come up with an enticing, but more realistic price yet.

Do a C/L nationwide search for Airstream sometime. Seems like half the ads are scammers, many with the same picture in different markets. C/L has made it so easy for scammers, they only have to hook a fish once every 1000 times or even 1,000,000 times to make $$.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Fortunately scammers haven't figured out how to come up with an enticing, but more realistic price yet.

Do a C/L nationwide search for Airstream sometime. Seems like half the ads are scammers, many with the same picture in different markets. C/L has made it so easy for scammers, they only have to hook a fish once every 1000 times or even 1,000,000 times to make $$.
And Craigslist is used for lots of other nefarious and illegal activities as well. We avoid it.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
Sounds too good to be true but posted just 6 hours ago.

Search ann arbor mich craigslist for ad.

Just one pic posted.

Sorry i do not know how to post a link on my tablet.
The old saying is "If it sounds to good to be true it probably is". Beware of craigslist. It is full of scammers and stolen items. Never ever send any money to anyone that you can't go see in person and pickup the item. If it is a vehicle of any kind then check out the title very closely with the DMV first.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
In addition to the outright scammers on CL, it is also infested with folks doing market research (ever see ads for work-at-home?). They essentially compile lists of names, email addys & contact info of those with interest in specific things, so you can then be bombarded with spam at every contact point you're linked with.
So yeah, if it's really too good to be true, don't be a sucker.
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well since everyone has piled on CL (and made some valid points at the same time), let me me the other guy...

I have been using Craig's List for many years, both as a buyer and seller. I have had maybe 40-50 satisfactory transactions (more than on eBay) and never been scammed or ripped off.

But that is only because I know that everything previously said about scammers, skimmers, etc. is true.

First, if it sounds too good to be true, or has any of the other common signs of being a scam, I don't even waste my time. I would not even look at the ad which the OP mentioned.

Second, I use a throw away email and the CL forwarding service. For initial contact I might use a free Google Voice phone number for initial voice or text contact. I never give out my real info until I a certain that its a valid and local buyer or seller. I only make transactions in person, and often in a public place like the local police station's parking lot.

And once I know I am dealing with a real local person, I am honest and treat them fairly. Never had a complaint.

An example of the list compilers.. when you place an ad and get an email asking if "it" or "this item" is still for sale, without any questions that a serious buyer would ask... could be they just want to see if they can get a valid email. So I use my throwaway email and tell them yes, I need you phone number. I never seem to hear any further from fake buyers but if I do get a phone number then its almost 100% sure to be a real buyer.

CL's info page on scams:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

It would be great if CL had an option to verify someone and give feedback, even if it required a subscription. But services like Craig's List, Freecycle, etc. can work out if one is careful.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

Michigan
You need to be carefull.....

But i have bought and sold countless items and never had a problem.

I like to look for deals on small boats that do not necessarily have to involve the secretary of state office.

Last year i bought a little sailboat for $1,400 and sold it a couple weeks later for $3,400 after putting a couple hundred into it.

That one was a REAL find. It was a cute boat (the 3rd i had owned of that make) and enjoys a cult following much like our little fiberglass campers.

Also a $225 canoe, replaced the worn seats and decals and listed it for $700.
The phone rang off the hook on that one, a nice 17` wenonah in Royalex.

Also bought a quality Hurricane Santee kayak for $250, recaulked the deck/hull connection and a nice young man bought it for his girlfriend for $475.

Some day i will find a super deal on an old Scamp.

Some original owner that bought one in the 70`s for maybe $3,000 may not know the going rate for them now, or just may want it gone and will offer it up for $800 or $1,000.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Both of the fiberglass RVs I purchased were ones I found on craigslist. The sellers were just normal folks much like myself.

I have sold a lot of things on craigslist and also bought quite a few things from it. I use street smarts in everyday life situations. There is always someone around looking for a quick profit with little effort. That has been true since the start of mankind. It is true in general in for the animal world. I have a cat that watches to see if the other cat drops a treat then he swoops in for it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #12

Michigan
It is not all low hanging fruit.....

I just try to find things undervalued.

Things usually need a good powerwashing and hours of tinkering but that is fun to do.

And good pictures go a long way in selling things.

I am tinkering with a fiberglass camper i bought last fall.

It will be the redheaded stepchild of the fiberglass camper family though, it is a motorcycle pop up camper.

But indeed, the tub is fiberglass and the archives here have been a great help cleaning it up and checking the running gear!

The attached photo is not mine but it is what mine will look like when finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Popup10.jpg   Popup7.jpg  

Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #13

Name: doug
Trailer: R-Pod
Texas
Craigs List Seller & Buyer

I too have bought and sold many items on CL. Yes, you need to be careful but I use text only and keep track of them. I think I may have sold over 200 items and bought at least 100. If I feel uncomfortable about a situation, I make sure I have my carry with me. I bought my current SUV and even found my R-Pod advertised by a TX dealer on CL. You can easily spot a scam and avoid it but not all. If there isn't a phone # or they don't text...no. If it is email only, no. Gut feeling plays a part and you need to research what you're selling/buying. I will be posting "stuff" in the near future.

Just a few things I look for.
Doug
voy108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita