1973 Compact JR EBAY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=260616799885

Quote:
1973 Compact Jr. Camper

Up for auction is my 1973 Compact Jr. Camper. I purchased this little unit from the original owner who used it once a year for the last 25 years to travel to Florida for a week. It was his pride and joy and he cared for it well. It is an all fiberglass unit with the pop-up roof that looks like that of a classic Volkswagen Bus. It is water tight and very cozy inside. The exterior is very straight and in excellent original condition. The windows and rear door are fine. The interior is original with the shag carpet and flower pattern cushions. The cabinets are in good condition with a little wear around the edges. The camper is equipped with an ice box, sink and stove. It has a king size bed that can sleep three comfortably. You can pull this little jewel with anything. The tongue weight is about 15 pounds and the total weight loaded is around 500-600 pounds. It pulls great and, with new tires, is ready for the road. Any questions - give me a call CAM (910) 872-1726
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Looks like someone modified the roof to open more like a Westfalia bus (also like that K-line trailer we saw last year).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The upper roof can be raised at only one end on all Compact Jr's. I don't know why you would want to unless the supports at one end are broken. The floor to ceiling space with the upper roof down is 5'5".
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

Okay but unless I read it wrong (possible), it had been converted to *only* be able to raise on one end (the door end). Similar to a VW Westfalia bus top.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
The upper roof can be raised at only one end on all Compact Jr's.
Ok I am lost! Are you saying all compacts raise like the one being sold? I thought the "upper roof" all popped up? Am I thinking of another type of egg?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #6

I think what he meant to say is that it is possible to raise the roof at only one end on any Compact Jr. In other words, although it is meant for you to lift the roof "evenly," you can choose to only lift one end. And he thinks that the eBay seller is just doing that (when they could be raising both ends).

I think the Compact Jr. I looked at was stock. Basically, there were four bars of about 12" towards each corner of the roof and they are in a horizontal track. These would be lying flat when the roof was down, and then as you push it up (by hand), they slowly rise to vertical. In fact, I remember trying to find the balance point, so that I could lift the roof evenly by myself and not have it go up wonky (one end high; the other low).

I haven't gone back to look at the auction, but for some reason my initial impression was that they (or someone) had modified the roof to (only) open like a VW Bus (i.e. a wedge shape). Tom thinks they just have it that way because they can -- and maybe he read the ad over more carefully than I did. I'll have to admit I did not pore over it. I guess it's just that they mentioned a VW bus, and then they also did not show any photos with the top raised evenly, and .... wouldn't you do that if it could raise like that I would (but then...)

Raya
Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
I think what he meant to say is that it is possible to raise the roof at only one end on any Compact Jr. In other words, although it is meant for you to lift the roof "evenly," you can choose to only lift one end. And he thinks that the eBay seller is just doing that (when they could be raising both ends).

Raya
Thanks, for the clarification. I think I got it! LOL....... Maybe Not!