1979 Sunrader sitting on a Datsun 620 Chassis, $3700 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
1979 Sunrader sitting on a Datsun 620 Chassis, $3700

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/rv...664852619.html
I posted this once before but it sort of disappeared, So here it is again.
I believe the motor home part of the body is molded?
this is a referral, located (Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, B.C.)
I believe someone here was interested in one of these.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
https://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/rv...664852619.html
I posted this once before but it sort of disappeared, So here it is again.
I believe the motor home part of the body is molded?
this is a referral, located (Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, B.C.)
I believe someone here was interested in one of these.
Stude
The advert is incorrect, that is Datsun 720. I used to own that very same model of Sunrader The first 720 came out in late 1979. It has a smaller engine than the 720s that came right after it. So that confuses some people into thinking it is a 620. The company that made sunraders labeled them by the year the motor home was completed but the trucks they were built on were from a year or two previous. So for trucks built before the year end there can be a 2 year difference in completed year of build date versus age of truck model.

It is important that any buyer realizes that it is a 720 because it has a different parts than a 620. It also has different parts than other 720s as the engine is not the same. I had to buy a repair manual to loan to the mechanics who worked on it for me so they got things done correctly and got the right parts for it. I highlighted where there was a difference in procedures.

The other thing to realize is the Datsun Sunraders were not involved in the recall on the axles. It could be they were a better axle or it could be there were not enough of them produced to generate a recall if the axle did fail. The Datsun Sunraders do not have a full floating axle. The outside wheel is just bolted onto the other one.

Because or the very small engine from this particular year you might want to pass up on buying it as it is under-powered for the size of the motorhome. Look for a 6 cylinder Toyota Sunrader with full floating axles and a cross beam that reinforces the roof. Without the cross beam they can't support the weight of an air conditioner on the roof.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote