1987 scamp (16') - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
1987 scamp (16')

This is not my scamp (as i haven't found one yet), but i looked at one today in west saint paul (on mpls craigslist....i do not know how to do the link on my phone). They are willing to move on the price....more issues than i can fix...looks to have an axle issue and some floor rot in addition to a possible leak somewhere inside and dry rotted seals around the windows....also has some evidence of mice and comes complete with a huge wasps next behind the fridge!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp 1987 16ft Good Condition
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cricket care to share more detail as to what was wrong with the axle and were the floor rot was for others who may be considering the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I can try...keep in mind I am not an expert on these things! The area of rot was probably right under the back window....now that I think of it, they had so much stuff jammed under the double bed, I didn't even look at the floor from the inside....but it was visible and fairly obvious right in the back...not a very big area, but any rot is to much for my limited skills. The axle had a visible sag to it, and the road side wheel only had about 2 or three inches of clearance between it and the wheelwell...the curb side had more (but now that I type that, I did read something about a difference between the two maybe?)...

I could see daylight around the front window in both of the lower corners and the seal was very cracked and dry rotted. I was going to probe around under the front bench to see if there were any issues with the floor, but there was a rather large number of mouse dropping in my way and I didn't want to stick my hands in that.

The wasps nest behind the fridge was pretty good size (but obviously removable). Tires looked brand new. The battery needed replacing, but had a neat system solar system that somehow hooked up to it to charge it ( I think that's what he said). I think they were including a TON of camping gear with it. They said they had never cooked inside (so unsure if the stove worked, but it sure was clean). Looked to be all original cushions and they seemed fine. The carpet was a delightful 80's brown... and dampish. It had the escape vent in the roof. When I asked her about leaks she said she hadn't noticed any and then proceeded to wipe up a small puddle that she didn't know where had come from (they only used it twice this year).

The water tank underneath was either a weird triangular shape or was falling out of the bracket...it looked funny, but I didn't look very closely at it because I had already noticed the rot and knew I wasn't interested. The toilet closet had a shower as well....nothing of note in there. One of the cabinet doors had been replaced (but they are pretty cheap from scamp she said). There was some sort of contraption under the stove cabinet...looked like a battery charger and inverter of some sort. The lady didn't know what it was and I forgot to ask when the husband came outside. I did not see a furnace. There was a dometic fridge, but she didn't know if it was a 3-way...she said they just plugged in the cord and it turned on. They did say it had electric brakes. I obviously has an awning, but I didn't check the condition. She said all the lights worked, but the battery was dead and it wasn't plugged in, so I didn't see them work. She also said the sink worked fine, but again, I didn't test it. I didn't look at the top of the camper. There was some spider cracking in some of the gelcoat, and the "fur" needed some serious cleaning. And again, now that I think about it, I didn't even look under the double bed storage (didn't even put it up)....my bad. The bunk was functional and had the poles (although she had them on upside down which put the top bunk at quite an angle!).... Again, not my rig and I am certainly not an expert...just what I saw on my once over of the thing.... I'm sure it would make a nice scamp for someone, but not for me (and maybe not at the price it is at). When I told them I wasn't interested due to several issues that were beyond my skills, she asked if they lowered the price if I'd be interested....as I wasn't, I told her so and didn't ask how low she was thinking.....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
wooo thamks Cricket for the great detail report! Hopefully it would help someone. The price does seem high for the age of the Scamp without the problems.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
I agree on the price being too high- bought this scamp's twin in Minnesota about a month ago for 1k less in really fantastic condition with several new appliances and upkeep. Still a 25yr old camper, but no rot!
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote