Cheap 2007 16 foot Casita that needs a little work - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Cheap 2007 16 foot Casita that needs a little work

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/5477251403.html
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I believe it is actually a 17 foot.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
It looks like a 17 to me too. Depending on what caused the damage and if it also caused interior damage, the repair could be in the $10,000 range. That's what it cost to put ours back together after a tree fell on it in 2009. Besides the fiberglass rebuild, we needed a new awning and a new axle.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

New York
Ad says it was on it's side (rolled over). I'm sure the 16's had a door that was curved like the body. Our 17 has a straight door.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Ad says it was on it's side (rolled over). I'm sure the 16's had a door that was curved like the body. Our 17 has a straight door.
You're correct Bob, it is a 17' SD just like my '06. A friend of mine had a mid 90's Casita front bath that had a flat door but it was square cornered at the top, not a radius. Only one I've ever seen.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

New York
Our '96 Liberty Deluxe has the square cornered door. I really haven't done much comparison with other Casita's, but apparently there were door changes, rounded at top and larger window. We have the old Dometic Catalina awning too, which can be difficult to operate.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Looks like an accident caused by too much weight behind the axle while towing off road. The right front took the major damage and appears to have been the result of loss of control because of oscillations (apparently insuficient hitch weight). There is indication of the right front digging in and flipping to the right front corner crushing the corner and displacing the top right corner of the trailer back diagonally across the top structure of the camper. The delaminated top left corner is the giveaway here. I would be concerned about the top of the camper as it appears that the air conditioner got smashed while in motion inverted. I suspect the structure that supports the roof A.C. is delaminated and needs replacement. - All of my observations are based on the photos. The giveaway as to what probably happened is the rear bumper receiver mounted on the camper. Adding weight on the rear of the camper takes weight off of the T.V. most campers will add 4 or 5 bikes and all their chairs on the bike rack. This causes the trailer to sway down the road. Add a 5 to 10 MPH cross wind and an off camber sharp left turn on a gravel road and a roll over is near guaranteed. I did not make an in person inspection and I may be wrong. I have seen 200+ LB. dirt bikes put on a rack behind a camper. - This rebuild appears to be a major project that will cost more than the camper is worth let alone selling price. Any repairs to the roof structure will add weight to the top of the camper making it more susceptible to a top heavy condition. A salvage title means the camper will never be worth the cost of repair even if done perfectly. - - - Parting out : air conditioner is junk, Many parts are probably good, gas bottles, cover, stove sink water tanks pumps, fan, cushions etc. are all worth 1/2 or less of new. Total value may be 3K if lucky.
I would run the other way on this one
Marty
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

New York
Driver fell asleep and went off the right side of interstate and rolled the whole rig, camper & truck, onto the right side in some small trees and bushes. Wrecker operator caused more damage uprighting them.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's interesting, Bob. The original ad said it flipped "off-road," so like Marty I assumed it meant a low-speed mishap on a back road. At freeway speeds there could be a lot of hidden damage, the frame could be tweaked,... Might be worth someone's trouble to fix- I hope so- but not mine and not at that price.

On the bright side, it's in pretty remarkable shape after that kind of accident. Casitas are stout. This may be a case where the bathtub floor made a difference- I could see a Scamp shell separating from the floor & frame under the same circumstances.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's interesting, Bob. The original ad said it flipped "off-road," so like Marty I assumed it meant a low-speed mishap on a back road. At freeway speeds there could be a lot of hidden damage, the frame could be tweaked,... Might be worth someone's trouble to fix- I hope so- but not mine and not at that price.

On the bright side, it's in pretty remarkable shape after that kind of accident. Casitas are pretty stout. This may be a case where the bathtub floor made a difference- I could see a Scamp shell separating from the floor & frame under the same circumstances.
When the tree fell on ours, the roof dropped at least 3", enough that the blinds were stuck between the rear upper cabinet and the wall. But it popped back into place so you couldn't tell that from the outside, just cracks in various places across the roofline.

The bent axle was hidden damage. We, nor the shop, found it until we started getting unusual tire wear. Fortunately, insurance covered everything.

They are built sturdy. We were impressed and only sold it to go BIG.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita