Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #161

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
Latest eBay scam approach: The current "1998 Scamp Travel Trailer" (290049028498) offered on eBay uses the same description as previous scams, but has added another classy touch. He has changed all the links and buttons, including the "report this item" to link directly to an email to him. Nothing on his page will connect you to eBay.

Be careful about responding to his page. Reported via eBay's Security Center.

John C.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #162

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Good catch, except that he has gone even farther.

The entire page is a link to his email. Run your cursur over a blank spot an click.

The fat hand never goes dead.. anywhere on the page.

These guys are getting wierder and wierder
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #163

Registry
I also just found an interesting thing they are managing to do.

From eBays own search page, if you click on the link to take you to an ad, it redirects to a Geocities site.

Have no Idea how they are doing that, but they seem to have hacked into eBays core now.

Maybe code to redirect once the ad comes up?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #164

Registry

Yep, thats what they are doing. If you click on a link from the search pages, it briefy sends you to an ad on eBays server, but then redirects you to a fake ad on geocites.

If you look at an ad using the search, double check the address bat after 30 seconds or so.

This is NOT the case with Johns posted ad, but I saw it with a link someone just sent me. Ebay pulled the item right in the middle of my looking, so I can't link to an example for you.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #165

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Yep, thats what they are doing. If you click on a link from the search pages, it briefy sends you to an ad on eBays server, but then redirects you to a fake ad on geocites.

If you look at an ad using the search, double check the address bat after 30 seconds or so.

This is NOT the case with Johns posted ad, but I saw it with a link someone just sent me. Ebay pulled the item right in the middle of my looking, so I can't link to an example for you.
Both of the above happen because eBay doesn't limit or check the listing html. I looked at the code for the all page and saw how easy that was done. I "redirect" happens by using an html command. I've done that myself when I moved a web site to another server. And you see it all the time. "If you don't want to wait click here" usually means there's a redirect about to happen.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #166

Registry
Redirects are easily done, yes.

I don't think that is the case with Johns listing tho.

The ad itself is obviously bogus, but it appears to sit snuggly on ebays server.

Listing with eBay is a form process, so they have figured out how to manipulate the info on it.

Slimey guys, yep.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #167

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Slimey guys, yep.
You got that right.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #168

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Too good to be true is probably the case on this one. Advice?

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my trailer.The trailer is stored at eBay's Warehouse in Miami ,Florida.
The trailer is in good working condition with nothing mechanically wrong. It was used only for a few times and it was always garaged.
The title is clear and is in my name; I have already signed a release for the title to be transferred.
You'll receive also all the papers required for registration.I'm the first owner of the trailer
After inspection,the eBay's experts agreed to hold and ship the trailer to the new owner.
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
The trailer will be shipped from the eBay Warehouse on my expense,as soon as the payment is confirmed by eBay Square Trade .
The price for this trailer is $2800 USD.
Terms of sale:
Payment:
If you will offer the buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from the warehouse to your address .
For the payment i would like to use eBay Square Trade as a third party . They will keep your money until you get the trailer and
will release it to me upon delivery .
Shipping:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment.The trailer will be shipped via DAS Shipping Company and
you'll receive it in three or four days.The trailer will be shipped by eBay at my expense.The trailer is ready to be shipped.
Return policy:
If,for any reason,you are not satisfied with the trailer or if it's not as I described it (it won't be the case),you'll
be able to return it in 7 days without paying anything and with full refund,of course.If you have other questions,feel free
to mail me back.Hope we'll close the deal.

Thanks and get back to me asap
Best Regards,
Dave Valley <dave_vlly@yahoo.com>
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #169

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)

It's like the guy was going out of his way to deliberately make his response as full of BS as possible!

Starting from the beginning:

eBay doesn't have warehouses

eBay doesn't have 'experts'
And therefore don't do inspections.

eBay doesn't do shipping

And of course to add the obvious: $2800 seems to be a favorite price of the scammers. Anybody have a clue why that might be the case? I doubt it's just a number pulled out of a hat.

Oh - where on eBay is the trailer listed? The scam auctions don't tend to list in the appropriate categories.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #170

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Mike, he has removed it. It was item 270055981007. It flashes up when you enter the item # in the search.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #171

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you have to ask or it to good to be true... it's probably a scam!

I'd bet that the actual account owner ended the auction as it appears that they are an active eBay account user. Further, this is another one of those fake pages where clicking anywhere on the page takes you to the Yahoo! mail account... pretty crafty crook here!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #172

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't see to many Scamps for sale in Canada

2001 Scamp Travel Trailer
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #173

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
oh wow.. i see no reserve on it either... so someone might get a good buy!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #174

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
I quite realize that we are all very friendly being we live next to each other, BUT it is unusual to be flying an American flag in front of one's house if you are living in Canada. I am quite ready to get lambassed for that comment, but maybe it's all that scam thing on ebay. Ok, I will find a corner, but it's so cold I can't break myself away from my electric fireplace/heater.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #175

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Bonnie... good point!! I never even noticed!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #176

Trailer: Some Other Brand
In my opinion, this thing has SCAM written all over it. It is listed under 'jewelry' and is a three day listing. Not things you would normally do if you were a legit seller. BEWARE! Also, one of the photos shows a glimpse of another molded fiberglass trailer.

I also think there are several more obvious small trailer scams on eBay---three day listings with instructions to email directly and not go through eBay's 'my messages'.

The scoundrels probably think that eBay will not catch them if they put up a three day listing over a holiday, because almost nobody will be working at eBay.
Thomas D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #177

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
It's gone now... pulled down, sharp eyes about the flag there! Darn, I'm thinking about adding a few more feet to the 13... ;-)

Dave
Dave Van Vugt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #178

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
The too good to be true Bigfoot 13 on the Atlanta Craigslist has been taken down.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #179

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Here is the latest email I received from the seller of the Bigfoot 13:

Hello,

I will make the transaction using BuySafe services...BuySafe is a third party service used for Internet transactions to make them safer and to protect both parties, the buyer and the seller. You will have a 10 day return policy too so you will be sure that you receive the item exactly as described. I am using their services because i had to leave with business and i couldn`t find somebody else to take care of the transaction for me.
If you haven`t used BuySafe before I will explain how they work:
They already have the item in their custody packed, insured and ready for shipping. They will contact you with all the details of this sale (they will send you an invoice ) and with the payment instructions. You will send the payment to one of their agents that is handling our transaction and after that you will send them the payment information so they can verify It. I will have to make you aware of the fact that i don`t know the agent name because they change it in every transaction for security reasons.As soon as they do that the shipping process will start. After you receive the item you will have a 10 day return policy, in this time you will have to decide if you accept it or not. If you do then you will notify them that you accept it so they can send me the payment. If not, they will give you a complete refund and return the item on my expense. If you have other questions please ask, if you don`t then i will need your full name and shipping address so i can have them contact you with your invoice and payment instructions.

Regards

(no name)
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #180

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I really hesitate to post this, as it may very well be legitimate, but a buy-it-now of 2900 and no location noted makes me suspicious : http://cgi.ebay.com/04-SCAMP-CASITA-16-TRA...tem230097259953

CindyL

Tags
scamp