For sale scams - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Because people want something for nothing. It's greed. Scammers have been counting on greed for centuries.

The most recent something for nothing are lotteries. They tell you up front that 50% of the money is siphoned off. So the prize pool is typically around 50 cents on a dollar.

And then if you are lucky enough to win? They tax you on the winnings!!!
Yep....I don't play the lottery....the odds of winning are about the same whether I buy a ticket or not.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #22

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Scams and stupid scammers

I have gotten to the point that while on my first morning cup, I do a scan of Craigslist ads for scams (Use searchtempist and look for "Gmail" and flag away). Some of the ads are incredibly stupid, the best for me so far was the guy who claimed the 13' Scamp had a Triton V-10 engine, 3 slides, could sleep 8 and had a new 7500W generator all for $1024 of your hard earned dollars. I'd pay money just to see 8 people inside a 13'. During a sudden rainstorm the other month, we had 7 inside my 16', and it was very tight.

There is a Scamp for sale in Cleveland, TN on craigslist. Think he is asking $12K or so. Not mine, just letting the collective know.
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #23

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
scam

take a look at this 13 foot scamp.5.9 cummins diesel pusher with 2 ac's

https://montana.craigslist.org/tro/d...047002700.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
I have gotten to the point that while on my first morning cup, I do a scan of Craigslist ads for scams (Use searchtempist and look for "Gmail" and flag away). Some of the ads are incredibly stupid, the best for me so far was the guy who claimed the 13' Scamp had a Triton V-10 engine, 3 slides, could sleep 8 and had a new 7500W generator all for $1024 of your hard earned dollars. I'd pay money just to see 8 people inside a 13'. During a sudden rainstorm the other month, we had 7 inside my 16', and it was very tight.

There is a Scamp for sale in Cleveland, TN on craigslist. Think he is asking $12K or so. Not mine, just letting the collective know.
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #24

North Carolina
What a scam

Wow! I did not know that the Scamp was also a Tardis! Scammers depend on buyers ignorance to take the bait. I would assume that 99% of the folks here just chuckle and pass them by. Please flag such posts. It does everyone a favor!

Derswede
Old 12-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #25

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I notice the price posted besides being too low will also be an odd amount such as $1504.

They will overlay their email address right onto the picture of the camper for sale, those are always a scam ad
When they are placing the same ad in multiple publications/areas, they will often change the price slightly in each one. That way it acts as a code when they receive an inquiry. If the potential buyer discusses a sale price of $3000 it came from one source, $3001 - a different source, $3002 - a third source. This way they can determine the effectiveness of their various ads without asking the "buyer" where they saw the ad and, thus, tipping them off that it is advertised in many places.

Retailers do the same by adding a Dept. A, Dept. B, or Dept. C within the address for replies to a mail-order offer.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #26

North Carolina
I flagged more than 154 scam ads this PM for a Scamp 13’. Typical Craigslist scam...gmail address photoshopped into the picture. Does not exist of course, scam bait to get your email address to sell to spammers or attempt fraud. Be careful and flag the scam ads on Scamslist!! Oh, Craigslist, sorry.

Derswede
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #27

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

Interesting hobby of yours. Not how I would want to start my morning. I get enough acid burn from the coffee.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I have gotten to the point that while on my first morning cup, I do a scan of Craigslist ads for scams...and flag away). .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Interesting hobby of yours. Not how I would want to start my morning. I get enough acid burn from the coffee.
Unfortunately I must agree (but not about the coffee)... I used to flag a lot of Craigslist ads under the belief that the concept of a"self-policing" website was a valid one. But the reality is that you cannot stop a flood with only a few fingers in the dike. The scam advertisements continue to flood the internet largely unchecked. And there are not enough fingers to flag all the scam ads, so the better approach is to educated people and minimize their losses.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I’ve found and effective tool to stop internet scammers / fraud
We seldom if ever buy stuff off of the internet , amazon , craig’s list , e bay ,
We don’t do banking on the internet
Never had my local merchant try to scam me or try to sell me a product they don’t have or sell me one thing and substitute a cheap knock off
I would rather deal with someone face to face and pay a little more than deal with an unknown off the web and pretend I am saving a few pennies
The internet was designed for scammers and crooks and people who want stuff unrealistically cheap .IMHO
We got what we asked for !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Face to face has it's own challenges.

Barnes & Noble had their card readers hacked, and that wasn't an isolated incident. It wasn't that long ago that Home Depot came to the conclusion that having the convenience of no password wifi was not ideal since it also meant a scammer in parking lot could read all your credit card transactions with a laptop.

When traveling I try to use a Debit card that only has money deposited for trip or online purchases. It is NOT tied to my regular checking account. Even though the purchases are face to face I have no idea of either the digital security or integrity of the person behind the counter.

Foil wrapped wallets aside most CC info is stolen right at the register by dishonest clerk. Although the chips make it harder to crank out duplicates than when it was just a piece of cassette tape with the data on it having the numbers and the 3 or 4 digit code on the back can allow some forms of fraud. Chip doesn't make card more "secure" just harder to crank out duplicates. It can also protect from skimming information at the point of sale since the chip is used to encrypt the transaction.

If I was shopping for a camper I would probably shop only at more reputable locations. Places such as this or some other forums that focus on the campers I was looking for. Doesn't matter if it is face to face or online, reputation and community matters. Amazon works to protect shoppers because it values its reputation as a "good" place to shop. Local hardware does right by you for the same reason.

I would be more inclined to put up a for sale sign in some local businesses on their bulletin boards than use Craig's List. About the only way I would buy on Craig's List is if they didn't mind meeting at the sheriffs or state police parking lot. Lot of surveillance camera's and cops. Figure scammer or rip off will just not want to meet there, any more than I want to carry a sum of cash to meet someone in a convenience store parking lot.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Face to face has it's own challenges.

Barnes & Noble had their card readers hacked, and that wasn't an isolated incident. It wasn't that long ago that Home Depot came to the conclusion that having the convenience of no password wifi was not ideal since it also meant a scammer in parking lot could read all your credit card transactions with a laptop.

When traveling I try to use a Debit card that only has money deposited for trip or online purchases. It is NOT tied to my regular checking account. Even though the purchases are face to face I have no idea of either the digital security or integrity of the person behind the counter.

Foil wrapped wallets aside most CC info is stolen right at the register by dishonest clerk. Although the chips make it harder to crank out duplicates than when it was just a piece of cassette tape with the data on it having the numbers and the 3 or 4 digit code on the back can allow some forms of fraud. Chip doesn't make card more "secure" just harder to crank out duplicates. It can also protect from skimming information at the point of sale since the chip is used to encrypt the transaction.

If I was shopping for a camper I would probably shop only at more reputable locations. Places such as this or some other forums that focus on the campers I was looking for. Doesn't matter if it is face to face or online, reputation and community matters. Amazon works to protect shoppers because it values its reputation as a "good" place to shop. Local hardware does right by you for the same reason.

I would be more inclined to put up a for sale sign in some local businesses on their bulletin boards than use Craig's List. About the only way I would buy on Craig's List is if they didn't mind meeting at the sherjiffs or state police parking lot. Lot of surveillance camera's and cops. Figure scammer or rip off will just not want to meet there, any more than I want to carry a sum of cash to meet someone in a convenience store parking lot.
As I said , we don’t do electronic banking . We don’t have a debit card or an ATM card . We seldom if ever put purchases on our one credit card
Most of our purchases are for necessities and we use cash
I don’t conduct business by e-mail or text or internet
If you want to talk to me , call me on the phone , come to my home or send me a letter by USPS
It’s a lot easier to lie or defraud people over the internet then when standing face to face
The person who bought my 2013 Casita called me about my trailer , drove up 500 miles from Illinois and met me . He looked at the trailer , went through all the mechanical systems . We agreed on a price , drove to my bank , he gave me the cash , I gave him the trailer and title . He headed home with his Casita and I went home to cut the grass
NO COMPUTER - NO E-MAIL - NO TEXT- NO CREDIT CARD - NO MONEY TRANSFER - NO CRAIGS LIST - NO AMAZON Just two honest people doing business to our mutual satisfaction !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
While your strategy limits your vulnerability, generally speaking you have a lot more theft protection from a credit card than a debit card. A couple of years ago someone took my credit card info in Moab UT (probably from a restaurant) and bought some stuff on line. The credit card company asked me if these were legit purchases, I said no, and they closed the card number and sent me a new card, and did not charge me for the fraudulent purchases. No monetary loss on my part. Most debit cards do NOT have that kind of protection.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #33

Name: Hugh
North Dakota
Registry
scam chicago area

there is six scamp scam in Chicago area I flagged all six

https://chicago.craigslist.org/searc...scamp&sort=rel
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Personally I wouldn’t waste my time trying to find all the scams out there. If I happened to be looking at Craigslist for another reason and saw one, of course I’ll flag it. But this dike is a sieve, and I don’t have enough fingers...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #35

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
SCAMP SCAMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Personally I wouldn’t waste my time trying to find all the scams out there. But this dike is a sieve, and I don’t have enough fingers...
My local CL has been swamped with them this month.
Watch out for those ads with a GMAIL contact as part of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP SCAM.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #36

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have made it a hobby of mine flagging this type of post scams on Craigslist
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, scamp