For sale scams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
For sale scams

It’s that time of the year, or will be starting soon. (I just ran into several on my local Craig's List.) Scamp scams galore! So maybe it’s time to post this again. HOW TO SPOT A SCAM AD! The phone number is hookerized, or posted as part of the picture, when decoded it is a Google forwarding service with an out of state area code. It has poor English or grammar, or the dollar sign is after the price. The house in the background has the wrong architecture, (Northern Wisconsin houses do not have tile roofs). Vegetation is all wrong (there are no palm trees in northern Minnesota). Ad has no interior pictures, or the described floor plan is not same as pictures. Local posters would know that the map shows the Scamp in the middle of the lake. The price is too good to be true. Open the cover picture and do a Google search of the image, it may show you where the picture came from and the real asking price. Craig’s list has a space to give title status, if the seller cannot prove ownership TURN AND RUN! When in doubt, ask here, we can pick any ad apart.
Attached Images

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Also if the ad is posted in multiple areas of the country is another clue. Sob stories may be given as reasons for a cheap price, death, divorce, transfer in job or military etc. Also the story that the trailer is already at a shipping company so can't be inspected.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I could not write up a better advisory than this:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I notice the price posted besides being too low will also be an odd amount such as $1504.

They will overlay their email address right onto the picture of the camper for sale, those are always a scam ad
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
These are very good tips for those who shop for things on Craigslist. Years ago I was contemplating purchasing a used compact tractor loader. Familiarity with market pricing, how tractors are set up and logical locales for this type of tractor were similar to camper inconsistencies like floor plans, too cheap pricing and roadblocks to viewing or test driving. Your due diligence and sound logic is always your responsibility because as Dad said to me when I was 14 “people will lie to you”
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I notice the price posted besides being too low will also be an odd amount such as $1504.
A couple of years ago when i was shopping, I saw a number of scam ads for campers that should sell for 5 figures, and they were all listed for $3000. They usually only had one or two pictures, and scant info in general. Maybe they have learned to randomize their prices now.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
On the other hand, I have seen legitimate sellers ripped to shreds right here on this forum. It's easy to become so jaded and mistrustful that we jump to conclusions. Caution, absolutely, but also courtesy. Rather than attack a seller publicly, better to report a questionable listing to the site team.

I agree completely with Iowa Dave that an informed buyer is a well-armed buyer. I also recommend recruiting a friend or family member not directly involved in a purchase to become a second set of eyes and ears. Better if they have some experience with RV's. It's easy to get caught up emotionally in a purchase and miss the red flags- especially since molded trailers are hard to find. Even if a listing is legit, it may have hidden issues, which may be intentional or unintentional on the part of the seller.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
https://www.facebook.com/happiercamp...Q&__tn__=EHH-R Here is an HC1 lifted off our website ,not only is the price to good to be true but you can have it delivered free in 14 business days.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #9

Name: Kathie
Trailer: Liberty Outdoors
Wisconsin
Scams found everywhere. Tried to buy a MH 2 years ago on a hard to find unit. I found that they never gave me their ph# only chat through internet, never available for me to send an inspector (I was out of state so hired a local RV inspection), wanted a huge down payment to hold even before the inspection. Then after 2 weeks said they sold to someone else with a large down payment. Yes, people will lie, steal and take what is not theirs. Fortunately, there are many that are kind and helpful. the old saying; if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.
Ktytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
https://www.facebook.com/happiercamp...Q&__tn__=EHH-R Here is an HC1 lifted off our website ,not only is the price to good to be true but you can have it delivered free in 14 business days.
Lol, "Compare at $499"
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Just a little hint I learned here about links. You can delete the question mark and everything behind it.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #12

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Scammer used a photo of a soldier in uniform

Several years ago, I wrote in this forum about me being scammed trying to buy my first FRG.

It was the photo of a service member, complete with nametag, who was "being deployed in a couple of days" that hooked me. The photo of the innocent soldier was taken from a social web site, as was the photos of the trailer.

It wasn't until I contacted the base command office to learn that the soldier was never stationed there. I was told by law enforcement that use of photos depicting military personnel was commonly used by scammers.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If they tell you they cannot show you the paperwork because it's being audited, think twice. If they tell you they'll show you the paperwork after you've given them a deposit, think twice. If they say they have no legal requirement to show you the paperwork, think twice. If they say they'll mail you the paperwork after you've purchased, think twice. That's already 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16 times you need to reconsider.

If they say at any point they can't show you the paperwork because it wouldn't do them any good, fuggidabouddit!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #14

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
scamp scam Craigslist

This add is so out to lunch I can not believe anyone could fall for it. please note THIS IS A SCAM!!!! AD states it is a 19 5th wheel with 3 slider and shows a pic of a 13 foot??????

https://grandforks.craigslist.org/tr...038240907.html
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #15

Registry
Oh, snap, the advertisement has been flagged for removal. I was looking forward to seeing it.

BEST
"K"
Old 12-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Name: J
Isle of Wight
If you want a laugh - read the "Anti-scam" guidelines on this very forum.
They must have been auto-translated from some alien language..

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...anti-scam.html
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #17

Registry
That list, with very little tweaking, can apply to so many real-life situations.

It would be good to embroider it, frame it, and hang it on the wall near wherever you order things, buy things, or consider agreeing with things.

If it violates those principals, think it over VERY carefully before you get scammed!

BEST
"K"
Old 12-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #18

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Wonder why so many folks continue to fall off the turnip truck? Unless you live in a cave....you have to know these scams are out there.....by the way.....your computer has a serious virus and if you send me $5000.....I will ensure your data is protected. Trust me....I'm a doctor.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
For sale scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
If you want a laugh - read the "Anti-scam" guidelines on this very forum....
Hadn’t seen that before. Just like the manual for cheap electronics. Maybe this forum has been outsourced...
Old 12-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Wonder why so many folks continue to fall off the turnip truck? Unless you live in a cave....you have to know these scams are out there.....
Because people want something for nothing. It's greed. Scammers have been counting on greed for centuries.

The most recent something for nothing are lotteries. They tell you up front that 50% of the money is siphoned off. So the prize pool is typically around 50 cents on a dollar.

And then if you are lucky enough to win? They tax you on the winnings!!!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, scamp