Government Auction of a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Government Auction of a Scamp

Here might be a good opportunity to get a late model 13 foot Scamp for a good price in nice condition.

Given the others in the background of the pictures there may be more to come from this government seller!

Better hurry auction ends tomorrow!

2005 Eveland s Inc Scamp 13 ft. Standard Travel Trailer w/ Key - Government Liquidation
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
When a neighbor saw my Scamp he mentioned that when he was in the military the base he was stationed at had some Scamps that the personnel could rent for vacations. It may be the same thing with this one.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
A fella over on the FaceBook page mentioned a few weeks ago having gone over to Wright Pat AFB and took a look at them. His eyes on report is that they are ROUGH, his words. He felt the last round was considerably overbid. These were rental units. These have been auctioned in little bunches since July, IIRC.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just to clarify, Government Liquidations is a private company, although it looks like government.

SEIZED PROPERTY AUCTIONS.COM
OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF FEDERAL ASSET RECOVERY
A PRIVATE CORPORATION SERVING GOVERNMENT, BUSINESS, AND PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS SINCE 2002.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
It is reported that there is a fee involved for the liquidation company with official sounding name, but no, isn't governmental. Some have complained the fee is pretty stiff. Weigh all the factors involved, I supppose, like all intelligent purchases.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #6

Tennessee
There is a 12.5% buyers fee premium with this auction. That's were the auction company is making its money. The ONLY surprise there is that in the past when the government entity did their own auctions they did not charge a buyer's premium. Now it is very rare to find any local, state or Federal auction that is NOT conducted on behalf of the government entity by a private auction contractor. The government entities have found out that their items bring "Mo Money" when a private auction contractor does the auctions as the private contractors do a MUCH better job at promoting the auctions and many of these contractors have regular customers who follow their auctions.

Yes this auction company is not a government agency. It is a private company that contracts with local, state and federal entities to auction off surplus government property and seizures just like govdeals.com and others. Their focus is the auctioning of government surplus property.

The State of Tennessee previously conducted their own auctions for state surplus/seizures however no longer does this on their own. The auctions and administration of the auctions is now done by a private contractor. Here is the website for a State of Tennessee current surplus/seizures auction of vehicles and other items:

State of Tennessee – Pickup Trucks, Sedans, Motorcycles, and More - Auctions By Gov

As is always the case read the terms, conditions and fees for any auction!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There were a few Casita's auctioned by this same company at the Barstow, CA Army base a few months back: a) Even from the pics, they were trashed, b) It's a PITA to inspect and c) They all sold for well over market value, based on condition and location (I.e., in the middle of nowhere) & d) You have no ides what works and that doesn't work. Right now, at $6500, for a 2005, I think it is topped out.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Right now, at $6500, for a 2005, I think it is topped out.
Plus 12 1/2 per cent buyer fee?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #9

Yep, that;s $7 3125 USD$ or 9,149+ Loonies

Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Tennessee
I guess the BIG question here is why in the hell is the Army WASTING our tax dollars in the camper trailer rental business?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Morale.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I guess the BIG question here is why in the hell is the Army WASTING our tax dollars in the camper trailer rental business?
This questions is purely a muse, 'cause you know we don't discuss things political, right Mike? .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A couple years ago at a campground in Georgia we met a military family camping with a Casita 16 or 17. It was a rental for military personnel on whatever base he was stationed at, don't recall which one. He said the first time they used the camper it was almost new and in great condition. Next time it was getting beat up. I would say that is typical of any rental equipment. Surely the reason Uhaul gave up renting campers after 8 years or so.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

Each of the Services have a division that provides recreational opportunities and equipment to those than might not have that ability otherwise. They provide everything from sports equipment to camping equipment to RV's for service members and their families to use. They also maintain campground and camping facilities on a number of bases for active and retired service member use. A great use of tax dollars for those that are willing to risk everything to protect us.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #15

Tennessee
Aren't those same services available to service members in the private sector?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We started our love of molded fiberglass trailers because the local military base rented 16' Casitas. We used theirs several times and were hooked. Then the Air Force closed Carswell AFB and the Navy took it over as NAS Fort Worth. The Navy replaced the Casitas with larger stick built models so we bought our own trailer. They still have a dozen rental units. The only times they are all rented are the 2 weekends that NASCAR is running at Texas Motor Speedway. Easy to see how abuse of their trailers might happen.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: In the Market
Maryland
GSAAUCTIONS.GOV is still run by the Fed Gov, govliquidation.com publicsurplus.com and govdeals.com are all private.

Although this was not by any means a good deal there are deals to be had on those sites and I've got great deals on lots of items, welders, band saws, table saws, drill presses, grinders, safes, etc. I like to think of it as "reclaiming my poorly spent tax dollars" program.

If you're in or close to Ohio I highly recommend you visit the sister company of govliquidations called unclesamsretailoutlet.com, they have a store near Columbus and its MASSIVE, way more stuff there than they post online, scored lots of great deals from them was well, full decked out MOLLE RUCK with all the bells and whistles plus 8 MOLLE attachments for about $75, steel toed climbing boots for $25 and too many other things to list here.

BTW I have no affiliation with any of the sites other than being a registered buyer.
warezdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp