Homeless college student - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Don't worry in San Diego property values are so high nobody's rent will pay someone's mortgage. They invest in property going up in value and not making money off renters. don't get me wrong they will drink all the blood you got if they can but it won't cover expenses. If you are planning as you are you will be looking at desert property on the west side of San Diego county. You will also have the commute from hell. Better to sell everything you have and get a bicycle and move in to student housing. It will be the best deal you will get for the duration of your stay. One thing San Diego does have is a very complete bus service.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;625815] (and the freeways in that area are a nightmare!)

You got that right Jon, I put up with them for years towing equipment trailers. Now I watch the evening TV news traffic chopper showing the pretty red and white lights, all stopped or crawling . As someone else said, SD has really tightened up on even over night RV parking.

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Jon is right, towing with something that isn't up to the task is just going to cost you some big bucks and put people on the road at risk of injury or death because you can not stop.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #24

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I see by your profile you are based in Pennsylvania. You don't say if you've spent any time in California. Be prepared for sticker shock, BIG TIME! You don't say if you'll be in a private or public college/university. If you'll be in a public school you will be required to pay out of state tuition until you become a resident. (This used to take one year but I don't know the current regulations)

I agree with two options that have been presented to you. 1) Live as frugally as you can as many students do...no car, shared housing. If you are a California resident and you are considered, legally, low income (pretty easy to qualify if you are over 24 years old and not dependent on your parents) you could be eligible for student financial aid AND a possible job on campus 2) Possibly get a job as an on-site security guard. This could be on a construction site or a movie filming site or a circus coming through town. You will have to get creative here. They might even offer the trailer.

Another thought came to mind...you could get hired as a household aide to a disabled or elderly person. You could live in their home and you could have flexible hours. Who knows, they might let you drive their vehicle. It is difficult for males to get hired as "a nanny". Your college housing and career centers could help you get creative with your choices.

You seem like a bright and creative person. Best of luck with your ventures.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The idea you have, of living in a trailer, can work in a low-population area. San Diego is not a low-population area.

I thought of Slab City (free camping, if somewhat trashy) but it is 150 miles from SD. Talk about a tough commute.

Our little egg trailers tend to have fresh water tanks that hold only about 10 gallons or so. So you'd have to deal with water supply, and then dumping the holding tanks (gray and black, assuming there's a toilet).
Old 02-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #26

California
Registry
The Tiny House movement has taken off and is popularized by at least one TV show as well as other places. I happened to be watching the TV show one day and saw that the episode took place in San Francisco. Curious as to how one could have a tiny house in SF (besides the ones that are already built in the Western Sunset district, among other places) I continued to watch. Basically, a young man found an in-law apartment built separate from the house and in the backyard of an established house. Access was through a narrow, one-person wide alley way. The apartment was basically, one-room, more like a pool house than any thing. They didn't say what the rent was but I can guarantee it was over $2000 per month. My own son, a graduate student, rents one room in a 3-bedroom apartment in San Francisco (not a good neighborhood) for about $1000 a month.

On the positive side, some communities, recognizing the high cost of housing, are allowing in-law units and other creative ways of providing higher density housing in residential neighborhoods.

Property and rentals are through the roof here as in any desirable city in California. Read this brief article on Tiny Houses in LA for some perspective. 4 Things to Know Before Buying A Tiny House in Los Angeles, California | US News Real Estate
Old 02-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #27

California
Registry
I just found this website by Googling "Tiny House San Diego California". The lowest price "trailer" is 50K. https://www.habitatstinyhomes.com/
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #28

Name: Luis
Trailer: Trying to Purchase 13ft
Pennsylvania
Thank you guys for the awesome support and for taking you time to read and post to the thread !!!! However I have went back to the drawing board and I am now open to the idea of buying a school bus and doing the Renovations myself being that I very capable of doing so. As far as having the cargo containers as a permanent residents, I would absolutely have to do a lot more research on that , but if there is a cost efficient way to do so I'll be on that path otherwise; continue being innovative!!!!!!!
Wolfington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #29

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Converted schoolbus screams "hippy hobo, please kick me out of the neighborhood/campground", but you'll figure things out.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #30

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfington View Post
Thank you guys for the awesome support and for taking you time to read and post to the thread !!!! However I have went back to the drawing board and I am now open to the idea of buying a school bus and doing the Renovations myself being that I very capable of doing so. As far as having the cargo containers as a permanent residents, I would absolutely have to do a lot more research on that , but if there is a cost efficient way to do so I'll be on that path otherwise; continue being innovative!!!!!!!
A school bus is not stealthy enough. You will be told to move in the middle of the night if you are parked at night time in it on any street in San Diego. Your best bet for pulling off this student housing solution in that particular location is to become a van dweller in a van that is not obviously a camper. There are quite a few online forums around that you can find by using the keywords "stealth camping". They are going to have exactly the kind of advice you will need for your particular situation.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #31

California
Registry
I agree with KC. You can live "stealthily" in a cargo van or even a mini-van.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
For the best deal in San Diego, join the Navy. Free meals, free room and board, free online college and plenty of marine study time and even a clothing allowance. All they ask is for you to follow directions and when you get out you have a college fund. You don't even have to leave if you don't want to. They even have an optional pinniped program where you train to be a seal. Now that's a marine study program.

That's the easiest and cheapest way to stay in San Diego.

All humor aside I truly wish the best for you in your studies and the search for a home that fits your needs.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #33

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post

I knew a fellow who tried to live in his van up here in the north east and even had a wood stove inside his van...Not very stealthy parked in the A&P parking lot in January at 2 AM. smoke billowing out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Yup, I converted a plain white Ford Econoline van into a camper (with porta-potty, fold-down bed, and a sink) when I was a sailor stationed in San Diego. When I was in port it was my rolling home. Rarely parked in the same place twice and never got hassled in over two years.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I knew a fellow who tried to live in his van up here in the north east and even had a wood stove inside his van...Not very stealthy parked in the A&P parking lot in January at 2 AM. smoke billowing out.
What!? There still is an A&P store in Maine? I thought A&P went out of business long ago. That was the store my mother like to shop at for groceries in our home town in Michigan, back in the '60s. Brings back memories.

I tend to agree with the others, a plain van might succeed but other mentioned methods would almost surely fail.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #36

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
I agree with others
Living in so Calif I think the stealth idea, storage containers idea, etc not very conceivable with all the zoning, not in my backyard folks
Best of luck
Please keep us informed as to what you decide to do

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote