MI: Toyota Sunrader - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MI: Toyota Sunrader

1984 Toyota Sunrader Motorhome RV
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The 22R was a good engine for the first 100K; after that they got tired and expensive. Toys had good standard trans. and good clutches. The remainder was a pile of junk (see rusted rocker panels) including exhausts which had to be replaced roughly biannually. Oh, forgot the Sunrader end. Fiberglass and molded and at that age I wouldn't be so surprised if you could get in a situation where towing might be the order of the day.

1) small ? (under 18')
2) molded? (here n there)
3) fiberglass? (They say so)
4) towed? (could happen)

Clearly a 4-wheel trailer with on-board assist.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My 84 22R Toyota is still running. (I wish I still had it.) I sold it at about 180,000 miles, after a few repairs (nothing major) at around 100,000. It lived mainly in California plus a little time in Washington so rust was not an issue, I only remember one exhaust repair while I owned it. But Michigan... rust is likely to have done some damage.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Please Note metal Signs Are NOT included in sale will be removed before signing title
and now you'll have a ton of holes in the "wood" work.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sunraders are the top of the food chain in Toyota Motorhomes and, with modest care, 200,000 miles isn't unusual for the 22R/22RE engines, it's the 3.0 VZ-E V6 that goes sour early on....
I believe that particular one still has the original 5 lug rear axle and after market rear wheels that were recalled in 1991 and, if so, is unsafe to drive as the wheels are known to snap the ends of the axles off without warning. That recall was against Sunrader, not Toyota and none of them were repaired by the factory. It's a $1200+ fix for a new owner. BTW: Contrary to some sellers claims, NONE were exempt.

Sunraders, with the exception of the floor and the entry door, were 100% molded fiberglass and, with the exception of those living in the rust belt states, are renound for their reliability and longevity. In about 80k miles mine never had to be towed anywhere. And they had 6 not 4 wheels.....
If anyone wants more Sunrader info, I have owned 5, contact me off-line.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

Delaware
That would be sheet metal up front there, Bob. Or 100% fiberglass with an oxidation problem. Unless I miss my guess, "Sunrader" does stand for the sum of the parts including the pickup does it not? As to the 3-litre 6, it had it's problems-bad heads and such.

jack
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #7

Nope, no sheet metal on rhe coach, all molded fiberglass, just like most of our trailers.
Don't know about "sum", the 2 companies that built Sunraders were both owned by John Gardner and they, like all other coach builders, bought basic Cab & Chassis units from Toyota and plunked their coaches on them. Only the very earliest, and those very few 4x4's, were built on what might be called a "Pick-Up" chassis. Starting in 1986 they had a dedicated 5400-6000 GVW chassis with a full floating, dual rear axle to build on.
BTW: Toyota still honors the recall on the head gasket problem on some 1990-1994 chassis with the V6. There is one at a dealer as we speak.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Delaware
Couldn't see the rusty rocker panel? Any rust in these fotos? The 4th shot clearly IDs the closeups as belonging to a Sunrader. If not here's the link:
1986 Toyota/Sunrader Adventure-II, Tom Geller, tom -at- tgeller.com
Was this your pride & joy, Tom? In a little college town in the Buckeye, which isn't that far from MI distance- or weather-wise.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

I know Tom Geller, His Sunrader Adventure is/was one of only 50 Adventures made between 1986 and 1989. I recently sold the last Sunrader Adventure built, the only 1989. Toyota chassis are as apt to rust as the frame on any trailer when they live in a rust belt area and are abused and left outside for about 15-20 winters. But the coach itself was still in good shape.
That said, my CA livin' 1989 Sunrader Adventure didn't have a speck of rust on it after 135,000 miles. Take a look here, all original bodywork: http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/advocateone/
But let's all agree to stick to trailers.....

Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Delaware
That is one heck of a well-preserved (and updated) example of that which may be mentioned sotto voce (in the referrals) but not discussed in the forum. Perhaps responses to the referrals listing should be blocked to avoid this precise situation?

jack
Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #11

Name: Chris
Trailer: in the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Sunraders are the top of the food chain in Toyota Motorhomes and, with modest care, 200,000 miles isn't unusual for the 22R/22RE engines, it's the 3.0 VZ-E V6 that goes sour early on....
I believe that particular one still has the original 5 lug rear axle and after market rear wheels that were recalled in 1991 and, if so, is unsafe to drive as the wheels are known to snap the ends of the axles off without warning. That recall was against Sunrader, not Toyota and none of them were repaired by the factory. It's a $1200+ fix for a new owner. BTW: Contrary to some sellers claims, NONE were exempt.

Sunraders, with the exception of the floor and the entry door, were 100% molded fiberglass and, with the exception of those living in the rust belt states, are renound for their reliability and longevity. In about 80k miles mine never had to be towed anywhere. And they had 6 not 4 wheels.....
Hello bob. My partner and I are considering a 1984 sunrader. We are wondering if we could ask for your advice. Thx Moriah and Kami
Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: in the market
California
1984 Toyota Sunrader
needs new fridge and some "minor repairs" 100,000 miles.
Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #13

Not to get to far off topic, but to correct misconceptions: $ cylinder 22R series engines, if given reasonable care, were usually good for 200,000+ miles and if the correct coolant was used. Almost all head gasket problems in the 4 cylinder engines can be laid to using the wrong anti-freeze. The VZ-E V6 head gasket problem was entirely different and was covered by a recall that is still being some honored 20 yeasr later.

Moriah: I will contact you offline

Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I own two Sunraders one is a 1983 with a 22R motor 4-speed 21ft. The other is a 1988 with a 22RE, auto trans, it is 18ft. Runs strong with over 200,000 miles on it. Gets 17 mpg on the highway.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Shopping
Alaska
I would like more info on Sunraders. I am looking at a 1990 Sunrader; V-6; 6-lug wheels; wondering what is a reasonable price. I know it depends on condition of the RV (I'm a long way from the RV & have only seen photos), but what range of price should I expect?
Cathy in AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #16

It's all about condition and that can be very, very complicated on a V6 Toyota motorhome. They will range from about $6000 to over $20K
As we are primarily a towed molded fiberglass group, I suggest that you post you question here: toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com

Old 04-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Shopping
Alaska
Thank you!
Cathy in AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #18

Name: J
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
1986 sunrader questions - how to contact off-line?

I have a few questions - whats the best way to contact you offline ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

MobilePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
J, I think he is on the road right now so he may not get back to you real soon. Just click on his name, the drop down box gives you the option to private message (PM) him. Those don't go out to anybody else on the forum. He may get that quicker than an open post.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #20

Name: Rick
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
I had a 22re. Most gutless car I've ever driven. I can't even imagine driving an RV powered by one!

Everybody always tells me how reliable they are.. and I believe it. How can it break if it can't make enough torque to snap any of its metal bits. :P
Comp is offline   Reply With Quote