MO 2009 Scamp 19' $5500 Scam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
MO 2009 Scamp 19' $5500 Scam?

I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, and it SAYS it's at a dealers... The price is just too good. I've emailed him out of curiosity and am awaiting a reply. I'm an hour away but am really busy until Sunday afternoon or I'd go look at it for someone. If it's legit, it'll be gone by then.

http://joplin.craigslist.org/fud/2855593947.html
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ruth it appears it is a scam as this trailer is showing up all over on craigslist so don't count on it being anywhere near where you are :-) - saw it was said to be in Stockton as well as Denver among a whole lot of other places - its been flagged by Craigslist in many towns already.

Edit to add suggestion on determining Scams:
Highlight the email address given in the ad -and right click and choose to search using Google . If the same email address shows up in your search results all over Craigslist & other sites, with the same trailer listing claiming it to be in different places - its a scam - you may also find as I did with this one that it has already been flag in other areas by Criagslist.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Carol H. Scam. The picture isn't at a dealer's lot to begin with and I search this area as we are on the KS side not very far from there and I am familiar with the inventory (love pictures) at all the dealers in the area. I suppose it is happening in all areas but it is that 3rd party transaction deal where you have one too many people involved in a transaction. Thanks for the tip on googling the email address as I never thought of that.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Curses! I should have known better, but at least we all know the Google trick now. Thanks!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Now, sometimes you can see a trailer and I know that Missouri has Co-Law Salvage and another one that I can't remember the name of that sell trailers and the prices look good. The one that I can't remember the name shows photos of the problems close-up and if you could do the work yourself, these could be good deals so it is always worthwhile to sniff around a little if something looks interesting.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The usual story is that the trailer is at a shipping company and can be shipped anywhere for free. We got that far into it a couple years ago and then realized it was a scam. I imagine the next thing would be the "seller" asking for money. I would think ads that include a phone number have a better chance of being legit. There are some good deals out there, but we all have to be cautious.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp