Trailswest Campster fixer in Shelton WA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Trailswest Campster fixer in Shelton WA

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/r...687522927.html
Just spotted a fixer Campster on craigslist for $1450. It is located in Shelton, WA. For sure this one is going to need a new interior. Extremely likely that this unit has rotted plywood flooring inside of the door as the door is hanging at an angle. But the fiberglass shell is under that plywood so it is possible to take out the rot and just epoxy in a new section of plywood. But do take a close look at the frame under that area as water will have run down the bolts into the steel tubing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Good project for someone. Cool that it still has the wheel covers. I wonder how the top is.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:33 AM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Good project for someone. Cool that it still has the wheel covers. I wonder how the top is.
I am glad my Campster still has its wheel covers. They were pop riveted on. A few of those rivets are gone and the PO replaced them with screws which ended up over sizing the holes. Looking at it closely I realized the issue with them loosing the wheel covers is that there is a variable gap between the surface of the wheel cover edge and the surface of the shell edge. It is fairly wide down at the lower edge of the cover and trailer. That is not a good situation, it creates a lot of movement around the hole under the rivet head and the hole the base of the rivet mushrooms against. Two surfaces pulled tight against each other are a lot more durable of an installation. I have to address that issue on my Campster before I hit the road with it this fall.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I am glad my Campster still has its wheel covers. They were pop riveted on. A few of those rivets are gone and the PO replaced them with screws which ended up over sizing the holes. Looking at it closely I realized the issue with them loosing the wheel covers is that there is a variable gap between the surface of the wheel cover edge and the surface of the shell edge. It is fairly wide down at the lower edge of the cover and trailer. That is not a good situation, it creates a lot of movement around the hole under the rivet head and the hole the base of the rivet mushrooms against. Two surfaces pulled tight against each other are a lot more durable of an installation. I have to address that issue on my Campster before I hit the road with it this fall.
I always figured they snapped on somehow to allow removal for tire changes. With my tire configuration, I don't think I would have clearance for a cover, so I'm not too worried about it.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I always figured they snapped on somehow to allow removal for tire changes. With my tire configuration, I don't think I would have clearance for a cover, so I'm not too worried about it.
Perhaps the situation with them not being easy to remove is what has led to so many going missing. They took them off to do work in the wheel well and had no secure and easy way to put them back on so they left them off.

Tags
campster