under 1000 lbs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Jordan
Trailer: hunter fiberglass
MN
Unhappy under 1000 lbs

Anything under 1000 lbs? NO bathroom. not a tear drop. I plan to find a used one, even if i have to gut it. But it HAS to be under 1000 lbs. Even if its old and crappy on the inside which is actually better because these old campers are built with light weight exterior and and heavy interior.
RedHeadedBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Look for any of the Compacts or Hunter cousins. Those are the ONLY ones consistently under 1,000# bare bones. But to keep it that way, you'll need to pack very, very lightly!

You really should look at this thread for "Real Weights," nobody camps with nothing in a trailer: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedBear23 View Post
...But it HAS to be under 1000 lbs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Look for any of the Compacts or Hunter cousins. Those are the ONLY ones consistently under 1,000# bare bones. But to keep it that way, you'll need to pack very, very lightly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Once again the Compact Jr. is an empty shell; and it had leaked enough over 6 years to rot out a patch of the floor in the back street-side corner under the "kitchen" cabinet.

Starting total weight = 1420 pounds

I don't have pictures of today's work, but right now the Compact Jr. consists of the undercarriage (frame/axle/wheels), Fiberglass shell (including Pop-top roof), 3 windows, 1 door, and an extended 3/4" plywood floor. The fabric has been removed from the Pop-top to be a pattern for its replacement. The next thing I did was to weigh the trailer!

Axle weight = 800 pounds
Tongue weight = 60 pounds
Total gutted weight = 860 pounds
Hunter Compact Jr.is one of the absolute lightest and weighs 860 pounds as a gutted, empty shell. That leaves 140 pounds for whatever you want to put inside. A couple of sleeping bags, foam mattresses on the floor, a backpacking kitchen, freeze-dried food, a couple gallons of water, and one change of clothes?

1000 pounds for an actual molded fiberglass travel trailer with beds and cabinets inside just isn't happening.

If that 1000 pounds is as firm as you say, and you absolutely don't want a teardrop, here are some ultralight options:
Quicksilver 6.0, an all-aluminum tent trailer
Lees-ure Lite, a molded fiberglass tent trailer
Eriba Puck, a vintage aluminum trailer with a fiberglass roof, imported from Germany
Meerkat , a modern Eriba Puck clone
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Check out this post. Weighs about 600lbs and is beyond cool.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
One post up--"this post" is a link. Leads to a tiny little boat-capped trailer with a base weight of supposedly 640 lbs. Appears to be available on eBay; being sold in Mineola, Texas with buyer responsible for coming to get it. Who knows how much the reserve price will turn out to be?

I imagine it's perhaps a bit more spacious inside than a teardrop. Doubt it has the rear kitchen, so maybe there's some appliances inside.

Worth a look online, at least.

Let us know how you do.

BEST
Kai
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Weiscraft offers the Little Joe

The little Joe is 1,100 lbs, they say. They also make the Roughneck which appears to be lighter.

Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers

http://www.pelsue.com/wp-content/upl...ailers-POD.pdf
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Perfect row vehicle, uh I mean tow vehicle...

...for your trailerboat (see posts #4, 5). I've read previously, that apparently the bilge pumps could not keep ahead of the leaks. What a surprise!

The good news is, when submersed, those fins are fully functional!

http://silodrome.com/amphicar-convertible/
Attached Images

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Look for a Vintage Eriba Puck trailer.

Built in Europe. Easily pulled behind a old VW Bug.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
meercat

Eriba Puck as mentioned is a candidate but almost impossible to find. The Meercat trailer, actually an Eriba Puck clone, ( be sure to include trailer in your inquiry or you will get hundreds of post about the animal ) weighs in , allegedly, at 960 pounds and is being manufactured currently. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
The little Joe is 1,100 lbs, they say. They also make the Roughneck which appears to be lighter.

Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers
I was going to suggest looking for an old Lite House, which is (I think) the precursor to the Little Joe. Their original model was Very Basic and was designed to be pulled by a car with 1000# tow limit.

I don't know how many were made/sold, but they were built near Albuquerque, NM.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Meercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Eriba Puck as mentioned is a candidate but almost impossible to find. The Meercat trailer, actually an Eriba Puck clone, ( be sure to include trailer in your inquiry or you will get hundreds of post about the animal ) weighs in , allegedly, at 960 pounds and is being manufactured currently. Lee
Lee, if you and I put our money together, we MIGHT be able to afford a new Meercat ! LOL ! ! ( Julie and I hope you and Norma are well ! ) David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
My Compact Jr weighs in at........

about 1,100 pounds. I had to take it to a scale to satisfy the secretary of state.

at that time I probably had two 20 pound tanks on the tongue, which are now gone.

I've read that the rear cabinets supply support to the shell. but doors can be replace with curtains, etc, to lighten things up.

I've also replaced 2 6' backrest cushions with 2 1' cushions, all I really need for two people to sit comfortably.

when I broke one of the windows in the rear door I replaced both of them with plexiglass which helped shed a few pounds.

you could probably get a Compact down to a 1,000 pounds without too much trouble.

and they are easier to find then many of the other brands suggested.

PS used my Clam for the first time this week in northern Michigan.

Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
clam.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #13

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I was going to suggest looking for an old Lite House, which is (I think) the precursor to the Little Joe. Their original model was Very Basic and was designed to be pulled by a car with 1000# tow limit.

I don't know how many were made/sold, but they were built near Albuquerque, NM.
The Little Joe is built using the Lite House molds. The Little Joe is has a heavier frame and upper cabinets on both sides from front to back. I believe the original Lite House used a boat trailer frame as a base, giving it a narrower foot print than the Little Joe.

I'm not sure, but the Lite House may have used an ice box, as the Little Joe reefer cabinet is deeper, likely to accommodate the space requirements for the Dometic Americana reefer.

The Joe also has 2 external aluminum L members running the the length of the top to support the cabinets, with additional aluminum structure to carry the Fantastic Fan. The aluminum longitudinal member provided an excellent foundation for my solar panels.

Regards,
Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I'm not sure, but the Lite House may have used an ice box, as the Little Joe reefer cabinet is deeper, likely to accommodate the space requirements for the Dometic Americana reefer.
Regards,
The Lite House we looked at, 20+ years ago, had an ice box and sink, but no stove or anything else. It was basically a dinette that converted into a big bed. I can't remember if it had a fresh water holding tank; I'm pretty sure it had no gray water tank. As I said, Very Basic - but it was lightweight and provided a nice place to sleep, out of the weather. (The foam cushions were pretty comfy.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #15

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
One post up--"this post" is a link. Leads to a tiny little boat-capped trailer with a base weight of supposedly 640 lbs. Appears to be available on eBay; being sold in Mineola, Texas with buyer responsible for coming to get it. Who knows how much the reserve price will turn out to be?

I imagine it's perhaps a bit more spacious inside than a teardrop. Doubt it has the rear kitchen, so maybe there's some appliances inside.

Worth a look online, at least.

Let us know how you do.

BEST
Kai
It appears that the trailer boat camper is still being made in Oregon. Here is the link to their site:

The American Dream Trailer Company | Teardrop Camper Trailers
Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Question

I agree, the Compact wins the weight battle over most. And they're easier to find as mentioned above.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Lee, if you and I put our money together, we MIGHT be able to afford a new Meercat ! LOL ! ! ( Julie and I hope you and Norma are well ! ) David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
David Perfectly willing to go in with you on a Meercat ( currently selling for about $17,000.00 ) . Unfortunately our current situation is about $100.00 in savings and maybe another $25.00 in a coffee can in the den... Leaves you with the heavy lifting at about $16,875.00. Send me a PM if you are on board. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie at a gathering soon. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
David Perfectly willing to go in with you on a Meercat ( currently selling for about $17,000.00 ) . Unfortunately our current situation is about $100.00 in savings and maybe another $25.00 in a coffee can in the den... Leaves you with the heavy lifting at about $16,875.00. Send me a PM if you are on board. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie at a gathering soon. Lee
Them that has, is them that gets,
And I ain't got nothin' yet ! Ray Charles , and David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote