Who wants to build Scamps?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #21

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Me I would want a slightly longer mold. I think a 20 footer would be real cool.
Funny thing, we Parkliner was building a 20 foot plug before we shut down, who knows where that thing is.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #22

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
I'd be in line for one! Did they have a build number? I've seen early model owners say they are like #10, and I think I've seen #001? Is there a way/place to find out what number build one has?
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmcGee View Post
Funny thing, we Parkliner was building a 20 foot plug before we shut down, who knows where that thing is.
I have a 16 foot scamp. And there are a number of things I would do different. But the big one would be as I said make it longer. I would probably actually build most of the 16 foot scamp design. In general I like the layout. But the bed is way to small. What I would do is to have that same layout. Then I would do something weird with the table/bed at the back. I would end the interior at the same place.

But then the shell would be 3 foot longer. I would take the extra 4 foot and have that become bed also. It would have a storage area that was accessible from the outside on the back. I would actually move the main power converter into this area. But the tanks and all would stay as is. I might have a surface for the bed come up and down to add table, but there would be no extra leg room so it would be like the serving area or something.

The scamp really does need outside storage.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #24

North Carolina
The build numbers were started by the owners. The only true way to know it to look through the original orders to match Vin numbers. Locating those for the second version could possibly be done through Xtream Outdoors that took ownership of Liberty Outdoors. They may still have records in the corporate office. Ahhhhh, I will tell you that #000 and #001 are very interesting units. I have worked on both of them and it was fun.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #25

Maryland
Holy cow! What was fun about those 2? You helped build the Parkliner? How long were you there? are you a 'go-to' person if one (me) has a question on a 'how-to' situation? Aaron McGhee is no longer with Camping World who I understand was a 'go-to' person and helpful with the Parkliner community.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #26

Maryland
Computerspook, more storage is always good. I'm glad my Parkliner has some outside storage.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
Holy cow! What was fun about those 2? You helped build the Parkliner? How long were you there? are you a 'go-to' person if one (me) has a question on a 'how-to' situation? Aaron McGhee is no longer with Camping World who I understand was a 'go-to' person and helpful with the Parkliner community.
actually the spelling is McGee and that would be me. I was there a long time, 😆 sorry should have said that earlier I try to help, at the moment there is a few things going on in the back ground but hopefully soon I can explain more and be back in a position to be more help.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #28

Maryland
Well again "Holy Cow!". So now the "AmcGee" makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you for the help you've provided and I hope that your background things resolve in your favor.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Well again "Holy Cow!". So now the "AmcGee" makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you for the help you've provided and I hope that your background things resolve in your favor.
I also hope for the best, but in the end I am sure that atleast a few people will be happy with what is going on.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #30

Maryland
Mercies to you in your future look.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Mercies to you in your future look.

Thank you so much.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:16 PM   #32

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
Was looking around on Facebook when I noted this ad:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-8fbf2f298fbb

Apparently some one in Winston Salem, NC has molds to make a Scamp or Boler clone! Says it is a 12' mold. Apparently they have produced a few, tho I have not seen one myself. Mostly Casitas and Scamps around here. I'm only a few miles from Winston, tempted to go look.

Derswede

I would love to get hold of one set of hand laid hull + interior and build it up myself. Would not be interested in building more. I would lay up a lot for sale if I had the molds. I bet there are people out there who would do the same. Imagine, instead of buying a 30 year old junker to renovate, start with a new hull. Be a lot less money than some have paid for what they have.
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #33

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
I would love to get hold of one set of hand laid hull + interior and build it up myself. Would not be interested in building more. I would lay up a lot for sale if I had the molds. I bet there are people out there who would do the same. Imagine, instead of buying a 30 year old junker to renovate, start with a new hull. Be a lot less money than some have paid for what they have.

Well maybe sell it with a good trailer and the light and brake wiring.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
“Hand laid”? Now you’re talking big money.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #35

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Well, they are now sold. Someone is now in the FG business.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #36

Ida Home
Fiberglass Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
“Hand laid”? Now you’re talking big money.

As opposed to chopper gun it is worth the extra work. However, there are other methods. Material is cheap if you buy surplus pre-preg from let's say Boeing. Cheap because they have to dispose of it by curing and chipping up, whether out of date or surplus. Not for everyone, but if you know what you are doing it is worth it. Build a much stronger product that way Better if you have access to autoclave time.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
As opposed to chopper gun it is worth the extra work..
If you’re selling trailers, work is money, and it’s only worth the extra cost if your buyers can afford it.

There are many very, very good things in the world that are way out of my league. I’d love to have a hand-laid kevlar kayak, for example, but instead I have a couple of plastic ones, at about one-tenth the cost. They’re heavier and not as rigid, but they have taken me where I wanted to go on the water for over two decades, including several multi-day trips on Lake Powell.

I could possibly build my own- I helped lay up a C2 back when I was in Explorer Scouts- but at this point in life I’d rather spend my time on the water, not in the garage.

You sound like you’re talking about a hobbyist project. I’m thinking about commercial production, and I am questioning the economic viability of hand-laid fiberglass for something as large as a travel trailer. It will be crazy expensive, with a correspondingly limited market. But of course, very nice!

The idea of using excess material from a large manufacturer is interesting, but it seems like you’d need to set up shop nearby, and you’d be at their mercy in terms of your primary supply chain.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #38

Ida Home
Hand lay up.

Quote "You sound like you’re talking about a hobbyist project. I’m thinking about commercial production, and I am questioning the economic viability of hand-laid fiberglass for something as large as a travel trailer. It will be crazy expensive, with a correspondingly limited market. But of course, very nice!

The idea of using excess material from a large manufacturer is interesting, but it seems like you’d need to set up shop nearby, and you’d be at their mercy in terms of your primary supply chain."

A 10' trailer body as opposed to a 36' boat? Easy if you have the mold.

Work? Yes, but well worth it not to have a choppered body. Which, by the way, is not much less work.

Limited market? As many people who live close enough that want to participate. You lay up all the hulls and then draw lots.
You can ship material anyway you want, anywhere you want, by land or air in dry ice or refrigerated.

Seeing as prepreg from an aircraft manufacturer are made to pretty strict specs, it is great material. All you need to do is match like resins so the cure is the same. You could build your trailer for intergalactic travel .
I am lucky enough to know where and how to get it and also how to lay it up and cure it.

Now I have me thinking....

Tags
scamp