03 21ft bigfoot Tire pressure help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Shopping
Manitoba
03 21ft bigfoot Tire pressure help

Good Morning,

We had the tires changed on our camper when we bought it, and Im wondering what you all would recommend for pressure.

Were running a road rider 225 75 15 max psi is 80.

The camper sticker says 32.

I think 32 would be a little low for the type of tire. Any suggestion would be great.

As always thank you all.
Rodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
80 PSI.

Maybe a little lower if you weigh the camper under the individual wheels, obtain an inflation chart from the tire manufacturer, and make sure to maintain that pressure and update if the loading of the trailer changes.

Or just go with 80 PSI.

You are many times more likely to have problems from under-inflation than you are from over-inflation.

Also consider a TPMS.

I might also remove that out-of-date sticker.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
The tires may be rated for 80psi max, but many camper wheels are not rated for 80 psi. 55 to 65 psi would be better in most cases.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
tire pressures here in NE

ive been running 55, doing mainly highway. Over the winter while parked at the campground i ran 60 lbs. Wearing fine. Also just had the bearings packed. $350 at a local garage as I had no idea what the previous owner had done. Good to go for another few years.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor Bud View Post
Also just had the bearings packed. $350

Ouch. I paid $60 to repack bearings and adjust brakes a couple years ago. Canadian dollars.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ouch. I paid $60 to repack bearings and adjust brakes a couple years ago. Canadian dollars.
I am afraid the whole world is losing it mind as far as prices go. I hate sounding like my father but it just keeps happening.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I am afraid the whole world is losing it mind as far as prices go. I hate sounding like my father but it just keeps happening.

Yup. Well, my guy sold his business and retired, so he's no longer an option.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Ask the dealer for the chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgie View Post
Good Morning,

As always thank you all.
Every tire company has a chart for LOAD vs PRESSURE.
It should look something like this.
https://tirepressure.com/st225-75r15-tire-pressure
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Every tire company has a chart for LOAD vs PRESSURE.
It should look something like this.
https://tirepressure.com/st225-75r15-tire-pressure
Not every tire company, but a few do. I doubt the cheap China made tires the OP bought will have a pressure/weight chart for them. I run 80 psi in them, no issues so far doing that. My wheels are new and rated at 3200 lbs at 95 psi. My tires are Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 load range E rated at 2830 lbs at 80 psi

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Road Rider ST tires are available in "8 ply" and "10 ply" (load ranges D and E respectively) and they are rated at 2540@65 psi and 2830@80 psi respectively. http://www.roadrider.ca/RoadRider-IV.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I might also remove that out-of-date sticker.

My 25B21RB also says 32 psi. The sticker in question is the DOT required one on the front LH corner of the RV. It is not out of date, it is simply the manufacturers recommendations. Its not a sticker to be removing as it is Federally required.

Charles
Old 05-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
.... It is not out of date, it is simply the manufacturers recommendations. Its not a sticker to be removing as it is Federally required.

Charles
Source?

Any regulation I can find includes a requirement to list the appropriate tire SIZE for the vehicle. Does your sticker list the tire SIZE in addition to the pressure? Because the recommended pressure depends on the tire and its size. On my Scamp the tire pressure (50 psi) is the only thing on the sticker, and as soon as I upgraded to tires with max inflation of 65 psi the sticker became inaccurate. Older Scamps had stickers showing even lower pressure.. dangerously low on modern tires. Required or not, THOSE stickers are out of date.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Source?

Any regulation I can find includes a requirement to list the appropriate tire SIZE for the vehicle. Does your sticker list the tire SIZE in addition to the pressure? Because the recommended pressure depends on the tire and its size. On my Scamp the tire pressure (50 psi) is the only thing on the sticker, and as soon as I upgraded to tires with max inflation of 65 psi the sticker became inaccurate. Older Scamps had stickers showing even lower pressure.. dangerously low on modern tires. Required or not, THOSE stickers are out of date.
I have not seen one that didn't list the tire size. My tires are the size and load rating specified by Bigfoot on the sticker. It is weathered and difficult to read but it is there. Its no different than the stickers on the door jam of your truck, that have tire size and pressure, and many people install different tires and wheels than came originally, and I've never seen anyone scraping the sticker off, its usually the VIN sticker in addition to being the gross weight and axle weight sticker, which mine is.

Charles
Old 05-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I have not seen one that didn't list the tire size. ...
Neither have I.. and the inflation value that is also listed can only be for that tire size. Yet many times (or most of the time), these trailer manufacturers specify the bare minimum tire size and capacity for the trailer as they have built it. And of course they ignore any modifications that owners might make that might increase the weight and call for a higher rated tire. For example, Scamp supplied load range C tires with my trailer in 1995.. and now they use Load range D for the same model trailer. The load range C max pressure is 50 psi and the D is 65 PSI. Yet the tire size is the same. So much for the sticker on my trailer that specifies 50 PSI now that 65 is the proper value.

Of course wheel and valve stems must also be appropriate for the higher pressure and if mods increase weight enough then a different axle might be needed.

Tags
bigfoot