05 Pilot - electric brake controller install? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Name: Stacy
Trailer: Looking!
Wisconsin
05 Pilot - electric brake controller install?

I have an '05 Honda Pilot w/ factory tow package installed. I want to get a 7 pin connecter and electric brake controller. I took it to U-Haul and they added a 7 pin adapter, but say they can't do the brake controller because it involves drilling and something about a firewall. I have no idea what they're talking about, but didn't think it would be such hassle? Am I missing something? Should any mechanic be able to do this? I am totally ignorant and new to this stuff so.... ???

Thanks!
Stacy T
StacyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyT View Post
I have an '05 Honda Pilot w/ factory tow package installed. I want to get a 7 pin connecter and electric brake controller. I took it to U-Haul and they added a 7 pin adapter, but say they can't do the brake controller because it involves drilling and something about a firewall. I have no idea what they're talking about, but didn't think it would be such hassle? Am I missing something? Should any mechanic be able to do this? I am totally ignorant and new to this stuff so.... ???

Thanks!
Stacy T
Find another shop. Yes you do need to run wiring through the firewall to get to the brake controller mounted in the cab. And that is done all the time. BTW the firewall is the wall between the engine and the passenger area, designed to keep fire in the engine compartment away from the people. Some liability might attach to any alterations to the firewall and that might be their objection, but like I said.. its done all the time.

A other option is a wireless controller. It would not require wires through the firewall. A good trailer shop would have at least mentioned that:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html

https://getautowbrake.com/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If it has the factory tow package, there should be z connector already under the dash. No drilling needed. At least that's the way my 2008 Ridgeline with tow package came. I asked my Honda dealer to dig under the dash and identify the plug, then had a local RV place wire it and install the controller. You may need a Honda-specific plug to connect to the controller.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
If it has the factory tow package, there should be z connector already under the dash. No drilling needed. ..
Could be, but I think the 2005 Pilots did not come with a wiring harness for a brake controller (even with the tow package, the meaning of that term being very inconsistent). I could be wrong however so its worth confirming that before making holes in the firewall.

Also see https://www.etrailer.com/question-4304.html
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
just about every car I've had since the early 90s already has places to run extra wires through the firewall, typically up under the driver side dash... take up the carpets, remove the under-dash kick panel, and look where the existing harnesses go through, usually they go through a big rubber plug, and there's a couple nipples on the side of this plug in different wire sizes for aux wiring, you snip off the end of the suitable sized nipple and run your wire(s) through it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
If it has the factory tow package, there should be z connector already under the dash. No drilling needed. At least that's the way my 2008 Ridgeline with tow package came. I asked my Honda dealer to dig under the dash and identify the plug, then had a local RV place wire it and install the controller. You may need a Honda-specific plug to connect to the controller.
not if the factory hitch only has a 4-pin connector, those don't use a brake controller. I've only seen factory brake controller sockets on vehicles that came with a 7-blade RV connector...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
My 2012 Honda Pilot EX was plug and play.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealster View Post
My 2012 Honda Pilot EX was plug and play.
Yes I believe the first generation (OP's Pilot) did not have the towing wiring harness and the second generation (your Pilot) does.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #9

Wisconsin
I'll take it to an RV place and see if they will do it, and I will make sure they check before drilling through firewall I just figured U-Haul would know what they were doing!

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I just figured U-Haul would know what they were doing!

Thanks!

The pimple-faced 16-year-old, earning minimum wage, in the back?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #11

Wisconsin
LOL exactly!! I swear the kid was like 13 and turns out he was the manager!!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
I'll take it to an RV place and see if they will do it, and I will make sure they check before drilling through firewall I just figured U-Haul would know what they were doing!

Thanks!
I expect you will find a huge variation between individual U-haul places. Some are great. Some are crap, and most fall in between.

John's comment about the pre-configured firewall wiring access location is worth noting. I know my van had at least one, so it was not too hard to cut the rubber back and run a wire through the firewall. The shop should look to do this before getting the drill out. In fact a little Googling can help with that:

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/19-...er-photos.html
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A regular auto mechanic should also be able to wire a brake controller. With a 13 year old vehicle, it's good to find a trustworthy independent shop that will get to know you and your vehicle.

Personally I'd go that route over an RV shop.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #14

Name: Kerrie
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe
Minnesota
Hi, I had a 2006 Pilot with factory tow package, used to pull my Scamp. I believe this is in the same generation as the 2005. There isn't a wiring harness for a brake controller. The tow package only has a 4 pin adapter. I did my brake controller install myself.

The wiring harness boot under the dash doesn't have any nipples to cut off (as suggested by John in Santa Cruz). If you are only running one wire to power the controller, then you might be able to push it through the boot where the other wires run through it. I was running three power wires (brake controller, inverter, aux power for trailer) through the firewall and there wasn't enough give to push that many wires through the existing opening.

I had to cut my own hole through the boot using a box cutter. Be aware that the boot is 2 sided - you'll have to cut from the engine compartment side AND the passenger compartment side. Be careful not to cut any of the factory wires that are running through the boot.

Attach your power wire to a stiff wire with tape, push the stiff wire through the boot, then pull your power wire through. If you drill through the firewall, make sure you use a heavy rubber grommet around the wire to keep it from getting worn through by the metal firewall.

Watch this video and you will see what I'm talking about around 11:40 -
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...lot-90885.aspx

Hope that helps.
Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote