13' Burro Tow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
13' Burro Tow

I am curious as to whether anyone here has actually towed a 13' Burro (or similar size/weight FGRV) with a Chevy S10 with 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual? If yes, what type of terrain? I'm wondering whether my 2000 in good shape would be up to the job. I'm currently limping along with a 2004 Honda CRV (with their little 4 cyl) and automatic transmission and it just doesn't have the beef to tow my Burro... I don't know though whether the manual tranny will make a difference. Thanks for all first hand experiences!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
I’ve been towing a stock ‘83 Burro with a manual ‘90 Toyota 4cyl. pickup for a few years and it’s absolutely fine on even terrain. Hills with any real grade are another matter. Climbing and descending means downshifting (I have no trailer brakes). It’s my plan to get a bigger truck and eventually new axle with brakes. In short, I suggest unless you’re not climbing get a 6 or 8 cylinder.
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

Virginia
Registry
Thanks, Biasdr. I had just about come to that conclusion, but was remembering that the little eggs were supposedly developed to be paired with the first generation of Japanese mini trucks.

I sure miss my ‘93 Blazer S with Vortec V-6 and fuel injection. It could roll on down the highway with a 1500 lb trailer in tow and never check up. I guess I’m going to have to “bite the bullet” and get a real tow vehicle... oh well, it’s only money!

Froggie
Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm surprised that you are not happy with the CRV towing. We towed our "84 Uhaul camper, basically identical to the Burro, with our 2003 Honda CRV with auto trans. We made 4 trips from eastern NY, down through Virginia, to Florida and back with no problems. I thought the car did just fine towing the Uhaul. We have since upgraded to a full size pickup because of adding a Casita 17 to the collection so also tow the Uhaul with it too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Thanks for your input Mary & Bob. I bought my CRV in excellent condition and relatively low mileage from my trusted mechanic, who assured me it would do fine. I don’t know what the problem is, but trying to tow up through the Shenandoah Valley on I-64 and I-81, and even up US 29 to Charlottesville seems to be all it can handle, and I’ve had several unexpected breaks that ran into $$$$ to repair in the middle of even relatively short trips (3 1/2 hours.) while I was vaguely conscious of the Burro behind my V-6 Burro as well as my V-6 Astro AWD, with the CRV, I know it’s back there!

Froggie
Old 12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Burro tow

I tow my 13' Boler with my 4 cylinder Honda Element. No problems.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
We have towed our Scamp 13 cross country with a 90HP 2004 VW Jetta wagon TDI. With the higher torque of a diesel, our little car has worked out for our travels. Based on my experience between diesel vs gas, I wouldn’t want to do much towing with a smaller gas engine car.
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancilio View Post
We have towed our Scamp 13 cross country with a 90HP 2004 VW Jetta wagon TDI. With the higher torque of a diesel, our little car has worked out for our travels. Based on my experience between diesel vs gas, I wouldn’t want to do much towing with a smaller gas engine car.
Nice to know a sportwagen works out well. I'm looking to get one once I sell my current car ('08 VW Eos). My truck is mostly a mobile garage, so not exactly a family car.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
I tow with a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl 5speed trans. Like someone said, it is ok on gentle terrain, but I need patience and frequent shifting when going uphill. Otherwise, it handles it ok. Wish I had the 6cyl version.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
There is no question that the S10 can tow the Burro. The question is whether you would be happy doing it. It all depends on you.

If you are willing to go up hills slower than most other traffic, use caution going down hills until you put trailer brakes on and don't mind that you are putting more load on the truck than it was originally intended for then you will be just fine.

There is also no question that a V6 would do the job better and a diesel even better than that. Lots of people tow with V6 Tacoma trucks and claim they don't even notice the trailer. Your S10 is in the same class but lacks the bigger engine that makes it all come together.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro