15 inch wheels - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
15 inch wheels

When I bought my trillium it had a 2 inch lift on the frame, 20 degree up under load on the axle, and 13 inch wheels
I wasn't sure about putting 15s on it, but with 6 degrees down under load and 15s it's not too bad. Lots of clearance and no more wet belly crossing those little creeks any more.

had to replace the 8 inch drop ball mount to 4 inch drop, but it actually rides nicer with 6 degrees down.
__________________

Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
the 15s were a comfortable fit. not as tight in the wheel well as I thought they'd be.
Attached Thumbnails
20170929_134356.jpg   20170929_141001.jpg  

__________________

Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DeanCHS1980's Avatar
 
Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 679
Registry
Looks nice!
__________________
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Looks nice!
Thanks. The real test will be next summer when I take it on a longer trip. We'll see how it tows long range with the higher stance.

More wind moving freely under the trailer, more wind catching the top of the trailer.
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 488
Hey Glen,

I agree - VERY nice mod - you wont regret it! I did the same with my egg (3" lift plus 14" to 15" wheels). It was one of the best mods I have done. So robust feeling now. Also the tires are no longer pushing rated load capacity by going from C to D. I also like that the larger wheels spin at lower RPM's. You wont regret it!

Here's another thought! My tires used to spin 773 RPM (revolutions per MILE). With the larger tire they spin 712 RPM. That's a drop of 9%. So my bearings are spinning at 91% also = less heat, less prone to fail. And lastly, if a small trailer tire is rated for 65mph (across the board spec for all sizes), then you increase the diameter, wouldn't you think the larger tire is safe up 109% RPM of the smaller one? Now if they are both spinning at the same RPM, I used to be going 65mph but now I am cruising at 71.5mph!

13" to 15" calculations would even be better than my 14" to 15" above!! I digress - sorry - but as you can see - I whole heartedly like the mod u did!!
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,069
math wizard

What are you using for your math calculatins I would love to be able to do that!

bob

a 13f scamper is ridiculous
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Hey Glen,

Here's another thought! My tires used to spin 773 RPM (revolutions per MILE). With the larger tire they spin 712 RPM. That's a drop of 9%. So my bearings are spinning at 91% also = less heat, less prone to fail. And lastly, if a small trailer tire is rated for 65mph (across the board spec for all sizes), then you increase the diameter, wouldn't you think the larger tire is safe up 109% RPM of the smaller one? Now if they are both spinning at the same RPM, I used to be going 65mph but now I am cruising at 71.5mph!

13" to 15" calculations would even be better than my 14" to 15" above!! I digress - sorry - but as you can see - I whole heartedly like the mod u did!!
My tires are ST205/75 D15, Arisun Belted Bias, 1820 lb load rating (x2 = 3640 lb... my trailer loaded is 1890) , 74 mph speed rating. It's a rare moment that I get to 74... maybe to pass someone quickly. but I'm usually cruising at 65mph.

The biggest difference i noticed was the smoother ride because of larger tire circumference. Also, when you have a 20 degree up angle under load, when you hit a bump, the arc of travel is forward... into the bump. Now i have a 6 degree down angle under load and the arc of travel is through the horizontal plane and slightly backward. much softer ride.
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky0 View Post
My tires are ST205/75 D15, Arisun Belted Bias, 1820 lb load rating (x2 = 3640 lb... my trailer loaded is 1890) , 74 mph speed rating. It's a rare moment that I get to 74... maybe to pass someone quickly. but I'm usually cruising at 65mph.

The biggest difference i noticed was the smoother ride because of larger tire circumference. Also, when you have a 20 degree up angle under load, when you hit a bump, the arc of travel is forward... into the bump. Now i have a 6 degree down angle under load and the arc of travel is through the horizontal plane and slightly backward. much softer ride.
Hi Glen - that makes a lot of sense! I like not pushing load rating - nice setup! I can see where the travel being on both sides of the horizontal plane would be the sweet spot as for ride too! I need to check mine. We all talk about this mod or that mod, but yea the #1 thing we should all have squared away before anything else is our axles and wheels/tires! That way we are not on the side of the road.....

Hi Bob - I was just using tire circumference for that calculation. My tire circumference is 89". There are 63360 inches in a mile so 63360/89=712 revolutions per mile!
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,069
math

Well I didn't take that advanced stuff in school now at 75 too late. I have also been also advised my grammer, my spellin, my writing just isn't good enough for here!

What to do with myself?

regards

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Hi Glen - that makes a lot of sense! I like not pushing load rating - nice setup! I can see where the travel being on both sides of the horizontal plane would be the sweet spot as for ride too! I need to check mine. We all talk about this mod or that mod, but yea the #1 thing we should all have squared away before anything else is our axles and wheels/tires! That way we are not on the side of the road.....

Hi Bob - I was just using tire circumference for that calculation. My tire circumference is 89". There are 63360 inches in a mile so 63360/89=712 revolutions per mile!
Hey, Joe. Do you have a pic of your egg? I'd like to see the stance of your setup.
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky0 View Post
Hey, Joe. Do you have a pic of your egg? I'd like to see the stance of your setup.
Pics..... The egg sat pretty low in the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender (2).jpg   FullSizeRender (3).jpg  

FullSizeRender (1).jpg  
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
nice! that's quite an improvement!

thanks for the pics.
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Posts: 63
finally got the Trillium on the road for the first time after changing the suspension angle and adding 15s

Here's the new profile.the nose is a little low, but I've got some room on the hitch to lift it about 4 inches. that should level it out.
Attached Thumbnails
20180513_110644.jpg  
__________________

Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
putting 15 inch wheels on a boler??!? thenoob Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 04-27-2019 09:25 AM
Changing out 13" wheels for 15" wheels Ed Morris Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 3 01-26-2018 05:14 PM
3 inch lift, upgraded axle & 15 inch rims on Scamp 16 foot BrewskiDV Modifications, Alterations and Updates 12 05-01-2016 11:21 PM
Need a source for 14 inch 4 lug wheels roamingcamera Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 04-28-2016 11:27 AM
Changing Casita to 15-inch wheels Ed Brocksmith Modifications, Alterations and Updates 12 11-30-2015 08:47 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×