16' Casita need trailer brake? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You really need to ask specifically what is in the "tow package" when you are at the shop or dealership. The factory tow package in my Toyota Tacoma included hitch receiver, 7 pin wiring, and transmission cooler, but no brake controller. My neighbors new Dodge included a factory brake controller in addition. To someone else a tow package might be a hitch receiver and a 4 pin wiring harness. Ask questions before you buy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Johnson View Post
What’s the difference between a tow package and trailer hitch? I’m new at this and am clueless. I never know what questions to ask at the RV shops.
FYI Julie.. All Canadian and most US 2004 Sienna's are built with the factory tow pkg already installed. That means they have all the heavy duty upgrades to be rated for 3,500lbs.

To be sure you have the HD parts take your vehicles VIN to the local Toyota dealer and they will verify. Note the trailer hitch receiver is not part of the tow package and needs to be added by the owner as you have done. You got a class ll. My preference would have been a class III.

Hope this helps.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
You really need to ask specifically what is in the "tow package" when you are at the shop or dealership. The factory tow package in my Toyota Tacoma included hitch receiver, 7 pin wiring, and transmission cooler, but no brake controller. My neighbors new Dodge included a factory brake controller in addition. To someone else a tow package might be a hitch receiver and a 4 pin wiring harness. Ask questions before you buy.
Boy is that ever true. Here in the US, my Toyota RAV4 with tow package left out the hitch, 4 pin or 7 pin connector & wiring, trailer brake controller and wiring, etc. All that was included was a larger alternator, heavier duty fan coupler, and increased radiator capacity.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
All that was included was a larger alternator, heavier duty fan coupler, and increased radiator capacity.
And, in Canada, those items were standard on the RAV4 V6 Sport. They were an option in the US. You really need to get the particulars for your vehicle ( year, make, model ).
Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I take my hat of to Toyota back then as they tested their new models (prototypes) in the Canadian winters to see how they stood up. I would guess they used that info/data to come up with the idea to build the HD parts into the vehicles.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #26

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
With or without tailer brakes 'Safety first?'

Was told some states 3000 lbs others 1500 lbs and required and in Ontario 3500 lbs or if weight is equal to 50% or more of the towing vehicle weight then brakes required. So if you plan to travel outside your state you may need to have trailer brakes and a breakaway switch and battery if not surge type.
Surge brakes are often used here for Boats not sure about camper trailer use.

Personally would want electric brakes for any load over 500 lbs. just for safety due to braking effects.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #27

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Boy is that ever true. Here in the US, my Toyota RAV4 with tow package left out the hitch, 4 pin or 7 pin connector & wiring, trailer brake controller and wiring, etc. All that was included was a larger alternator, heavier duty fan coupler, and increased radiator capacity.

Tow pakage;

Ours came with hitch, rad, 7 pin wiring, brake module, extra safety systems, etc. from dealer at time of purchase

We did add to that some upgrades and items though after the fact recommended by rv dealer and car dealer.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, in Canada, those items were standard on the RAV4 V6 Sport. They were an option in the US. You really need to get the particulars for your vehicle ( year, make, model ).
Have found its pretty common for vehicle manufactures to offer up very different trim packages for Canada vs the USA. Vehicles even when built in the US to be sold in Canada will have a different trim package than the cars they build at the same facility to sell in the US. Strange but true.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Was told some states 3000 lbs others 1500 lbs and required and in Ontario 3500 lbs or if weight is equal to 50% or more of the towing vehicle weight then brakes required.
Actually quick look at the Towing Laws/BrakeBuddy suggest some are way less weight than that.

North Carolina and New York 1000lbs.
Also appears that North Dakota requires them on any vehicle towing over 25 mph ... strange wording though.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
25 mph or less might apply to farm equipment . hay wagons ,implements would be my guess.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
25 mph or less might apply to farm equipment . hay wagons ,implements would be my guess.
Doesnt appear to be the case - don't know of to many tractors that have a break controller that can be applied from the drivers seat to stop the trailer being pulled ;-) As I said the wording of the laws are really not all that clear.

From www.dot.nd.gov it reads:

"Every trailer or semitrailer when operated upon a highway at a speed in excess of twenty-five miles [40.23 kilometers] per hour must be equipped with safety chains or brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab, and said brakes must be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle the brakes are automatically applied."
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Regardless of local laws, a trailer, virtually any trailer, should have it's own brakes.

Beyond aiding in the safe stopping of a trailer under normal conditions, having brakes under the trailer allows on to get control of trailer motion should it began to sway (by independently activating the trailer brakes) and the ability to stop the trailer should it disconnect from the tow vehicle (via a trailer mounted break away switch).

In my mind every trailer needs brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita