1971 hunter compact Jr. Wheels - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Name: tim
Trailer: hunter compact
California
1971 hunter compact Jr. Wheels

I need help. The bolt pattern is 13" wheel 4x3" and I have miss matching wheels. I am unable to find wheels in that bolt pattern. The axle and hub are unique. The front bearing is attached to the axle but.
I would love to find a pair of wheels that would fit and match. I don't think I can change the hub out.
If I get a bolt pattern adapter made I would loose clearance, plus the current wheels I have have different offset.
Please help!

roadsterswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
bolt pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterswap View Post
I need help. The bolt pattern is 13" wheel 4x3" and I have miss matching wheels.Please help!
Did you measure from one bolt center to the opposite bolt center?
A picture of the ruler on the bolts may help. Iíve never had a 3Ē pattern. On anything. And Iíve had some cheap stuff over the years.

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

California
I measured and remeasured......always 3 inches. It has an unusual axle and bolt/bearing set up.
I know I am dumbfounded. Ill post picture tomorrow. I do not want to get a new axle. I can always run the mismatched wheels and since you only see one side at a time..........Only I will know. But that is the problem. I thought they were pinto but those have 4 inch pattern. One wheel has clips for a cap and the other one has bumps. Offset is about 1.5 inches different from one side to the other. I wanted to use hub caps. Maybe I will end up with stainless snap on moon style covers.......booo. Oh well. This is the first trailer I have redone and boy it takes time. This one sat for 20 years at my neighbors. Every bolt was rusted and dripping. I live near the ocean and things go bad quickly. I am replacing screws with stainless. I am doing the best I can and I keep telling myself......its just a trailer. I am a car guy and the details and what keeps me challenged. I traded a Chevrolet motor for the trailer. I am not in it very much. I just have my standards. I cannot understand the wheel issue.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #4

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
I measured and remeasured......always 3 inches. It has an unusual axle and bolt/bearing set up.
I know I am dumbfounded. Ill post picture tomorrow. I do not want to get a new axle. I can always run the mismatched wheels and since you only see one side at a time..........Only I will know. But that is the problem. I thought they were pinto but those have 4 inch pattern. One wheel has clips for a cap and the other one has bumps. Offset is about 1.5 inches different from one side to the other. I wanted to use hub caps. Maybe I will end up with stainless snap on moon style covers.......booo. Oh well. This is the first trailer I have redone and boy it takes time. This one sat for 20 years at my neighbors. Every bolt was rusted and dripping. I live near the ocean and things go bad quickly. I am replacing screws with stainless. I am doing the best I can and I keep telling myself......its just a trailer. I am a car guy and the details and what keeps me challenged. I traded a Chevrolet motor for the trailer. I am not in it very much. I just have my standards. I cannot understand the wheel issue.
you can put new hubs onto old axles. But you likely need a new frame anyway given the location and having sat for 20 years. That is just the way it is, these things get you into spending more money than you want to when you acquire things near the ocean. It will be worth it when you get done. You won't be in the hole value wise if you want to resell a vintage trailer in prime condition if you do most of the work yourself instead of hiring it all out. Of course the return on your labor hours means you worked for peanuts. So you should use the heck out of it before you think about selling it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

California
You are right. I am looking into new hubs. I do all my own work and this would be expensive if I paid someone. I can even make the frame if i need one in the future.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A previous owner of our Campster, which is the same basic design, replaced the frame with one from a 15' sticky. It actually works pretty will and gives us a platform up front for a storage box, the battery, and the spare. It does make it a bit heavier than the original. The axle has leaf springs.
Quote:
You are right. I am looking into new hubs. I do all my own work and this would be expensive if I paid someone. I can even make the frame if i need one in the future.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #7

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If there the original bolt pattern they are readily available for utility trailers. I purchased mine wheel and all.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
is it 4 bolt or 5 bolt?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
likely some one at some time in the history of previous owners needed to change the tires and used what he had in his stash of parts for wheels with hub and tires. Just being thrifty

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote