1972 Amerigo torsion axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1988 Toyota Sunrader
California
1972 Amerigo torsion axle

Hello All!

I picked up a toy! A 1972 Amerigo FG-16. I was wondering if the torsion axles are adjustable? A friend said it probably has splines and can be adjusted down one spline to raise the trailer height. Has anyone tried this or confirmed the existence of splines in the axles?
wordswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1972 Amerigo torsion axle

I doubt it. Most torsion axles are non-adjustable and few trailers have the newer Flexi-Ride adjustable splined torsion axle. I don’t think that option was around when your Amerigo was built, and even now I’m not aware of any manufacturers supplying it as original equipment. Several members have made the swap and report being very pleased with its quality as well as the adjustability.

Welcome, and congratulations on your new toy! We have a few other active Amerigo owners. I’m sure they will chime in shortly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #3

California
Thank you Jon. I have the same thoughts on older designs, just haven't opened it up yet.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pull a wheel off and you will know for sure. Original was not splined. And if the axle is original, then it’s worn out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #5

California
According to the 50 years of rust and grime on it, it does look original. A swap may be in the near future!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
what is this torsion axle

ok you got me I am not versed in axles? my 1998 Scamp feels like it is hitting bottom when I hit a bump. I want a good axle maybe I have what I need? PO said the axle had been changed!!

I am dropping my air to 35lb I think I have put too much air in causing some of this!

help me out

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Bob, when you jack up the trailer and take off the wheel, does the arm go back to the proper angle? I don't know what that would be for a Scamp but I am sure it is in a post here somewhere. If it doesn't drop close to the proper angle, then it is time for a new axle. The first trip with my boler had the trailer bouncing quite a bit on the original axle. I replaced it and the ride is much, much smoother.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i will check

I am going to take it to my mechanic for a check.

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
If you git 20 years out of the rubber inside a torsion type axle of any make or model you have done great! Like any other spring a rubber/torsion axle will also settle over time resulting in less suspension travel, lower ground/rear overhang clearance and a MUCH rougher ride.

All the Amerigo's I have owned sat very low if they still had the original worn out torsion type axle under the trailer. The big result is that you will have tail dragging issues when going up a sloped driveway or road transition and ROUGH RIDE for the trailer.

The solution to these PROBLEMS is to install a complete new axle with new electric brakes and a higher working down angle on the axle than original to lift the trailer body higher off the ground. Yes I recommend a higher down angle on the new axle than the originally specified by Amerigo when they built the trailer. The trailer will pull so much better with a new axle at a higher down angle giving you much more ground clearance and much more rear overhang clearance.

A lot of value, benefit and trailer improvement for the low price of a new axle (about $350.00) + the cost of installation!

This is the first modification I would recommend be done to Amerigo trailer as I can guaranty you the original torsion type axle is worn out!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #10

California
Sounds like a project waiting to happen!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #11

Name: Joe
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Jumping into this old thread… I’ve been searching for what axle specifically the Amerigo has/needs. Vintageracer, do you have a particular model of axle you can recommend based on what you’re saying?

My Amerigo has leaf springs, but they look about 48 years old… I’m about to redo the frame and paint the body, not that it has to but replacing the axle while the body is off the frame just seems like good timing
JoeBob1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #12

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I do not have the specs for the original Amerigo axles. Someone here on the forum may have them and pop in with the answer.

I would look for a great down angle on the new axle which will give the trailer a lift with better ground clearance and less garage clearance which has never been an issue to me.

When you talk to Dexter or whoever the axle manufacturer will be that you choose they will understand down angle and can direct you to the proper specifications to match your needs.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo, axle