1972 Hunter Compact Negative Camber Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Charmaine
Trailer: currently shopping
Washington
1972 Hunter Compact Negative Camber Issue

Hi Folks,
I'm a relatively new owner of a really cool 1972 Hunter Compact. Purchased it last year and have taken it on a couple of trips - love it!

Great tips on here helped me fix the sagging pop-top, and I replaced the old vinyl boot with new sunbrella fabric - hooray!

Now, I'm dealing with this negative camber issue on the tires.

The previous owner was an off-road enthusiast, so flipped the axle and put on 15" tires. The trailer rides pretty high off the ground, which I don't mind... it rides very level with my truck... but then I noticed the negative camber issue is causing alot of uneven tire wear.

Not sure what I should do here. The axle is straight, so it must be the spindles that are causing the tires to lean in. I guess I could try flipping the axle back to it's normal position, but that would require me getting a drop ball hitch and 3 small original sized tires.

Today I'm going to rotate the existing 15" tires just to try to even out the wear.

What would you guys do? Attached are some pics for reference. Thanks a billion!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0104.jpg   IMG_0105.jpg  

IMG_0106.jpg   IMG_0107.jpg  

luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
To me it looks like the trailer is taller than the truck. Sounds like you need new tires anyways. I'd set the axle back to original, flip your stinger over and then see what size tire might fit.

Alternatively, find a body shop that straightens frames and see if they can't bend the axle to give the right camber.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

Washington
Now problem with new tires?!?

Ok, so I went ahead and flipped the axle back to "normal" to fix the camber issue. That now seems resolved. I got 3 new tires and wheels from Six Robblees here in Seattle, and now the wheels all seem to have a wobble! I replaced bearings/repacked hubs, have double checked that the axle nuts are tight enough, but when I hand spin the tires, I can see that both wheels are out of round... I've taken all the wheels/tires off again and am taking them to a tire shop to be balanced. Will let you all know if balancing resolves the wobble, let me know if I'm missing something here...
Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm a little late on this, but your original axle is not 'Straight" it is a dropped axle, and whoever flipped it over had the engineering intelligence of a small gopher.
As an alternative you can buy a new "Straight" axle and still use the 15" tires.\ and could add brakes at the same time.
You are lucky that the flipped axle didn't lead to several stability problems, especially in any cross winds. The odd angle and stress on the bearings with the flipped axle may have damage them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Washington
Doh, ok, well I have to eat my humble pie here. Tire guy helped me figure out that I had the lug nuts on backwards (tapered side out). I feel like a real moron, but I guess I gotta learn somehow!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Glad you discovered it before you put it on the road.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote