A class 9 torflex is rated up to 2500 lbs, and a class 10 is rated up to 3500 lbs.
There wasn’t a lot of information available on the trailer, but I had a sticker that said it was 2000lbs. I added another battery
, a couple cross braces to the frame, and including all our “gear” while camping, I wasn’t comfortable saying the trailer would be under 2500 lbs. So without access to a scale, I settled on 2600lbs as the weight
. I did talk to a few other campers who agreed it’d be easy to pack a trailer with 500 lbs (food, drinks, clothes, plates, pots & pans, water in the tank, etc)
The axle is a rubber torsion design. After looking at a couple options on the market, I’d bet what is on the trailer is a dexter torflex. The original axle on the trailer is a 22.5 degree up (the angle the swing arm is at relative to the frame). I wanted more ground clearance, so I went to a 10 degree up. Because of the difference in geometry, I had to slide the axle about 0.5” forward to keep the tire in the middle of the wheel well.
My trailer frame is 53” from the outside of the rail to the outside of the rail.
Here’s a couple shots cutting the old axle off and putting the new one on.
And here is the shot of before and after. Top photo is new axle, bottom is before. Notice the higher ground clearance with the 10 degree up.
If you have any other questions, let me know.