1984 Bigfoot 17 trailer for first timers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Davd
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
1984 Bigfoot 17 trailer for first timers

Hi there; new to this site and new to trailer life. my wife and I are looking at buying a 1984 Bigfoot 17 trailer for a few week long trips each summer in bc.
Any words of wisdom for me? I will be pulling it with a 2015 Ford F150 (5.0L V8 engine) and also would love some advice on the best trailer hitch to use. thanks in advance
Davebisset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebisset View Post
Hi there; new to this site and new to trailer life. my wife and I are looking at buying a 1984 Bigfoot 17 trailer for a few week long trips each summer in bc.
Any words of wisdom for me? I will be pulling it with a 2015 Ford F150 (5.0L V8 engine) and also would love some advice on the best trailer hitch to use. thanks in advance

Welcome to the happy groups of RV'ers. Got an '84 Bigfoot 17' too. I'm towing it with a Ford Explorer and the rear springs sag a tad when I load up the trailer. I'm using a weight distribution hitch by Reese - though I think they'll all about the same. I went to a mechanic with my new hitch and asked him to install - he's got the tools and the lift. Got a towing harness for the 12volts too.

Don't try to do everything at once and you'll get lots of advice here or in the archived posts. I'd focus on the safety stuff. Tire condition, electric brake - usage and wear,, lights.

If you need more specific Bigfoot info you can join BOCI (Bigfoot Owners Club International). They're incredibly helpful and the info is Bigfoot specific!

Happy travelling and contact me if you want any B.C. related info.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for all the good info. Really appreciate it. Btw we went ahead and bought the 1984 Bigfoot 17. Lots to learn but we are excited about it. cheers Dave
Old 08-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Good for you. Don't think you'll be unhappy. Manuals - available in PDF form from Bigfoot Owners Club International.

Questions about fridges, hot water heaters, furnaces, and stoves can be answered here and on BOCI. Interior equipment on these trailers is pretty generic.
Happy to related any personal 'victories' or defeats re my trailer.
Been to Eastern Alaska and the Yukon Territories with this rig. Never gave me cause for concern, ever!
When the pall of Covid finally lifts may I suggest strongly that you try to get to a BOCI mini rally or meet. Never met so many nice, like minded people. The rallies usually have a 'Show and Tell' afternoon where you can look at other peoples rigs and solutions to problems. What an eye opener!
Derek
Feel free to pm me.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks a lot Derek. We are picking up the trailer this wednesday and Im sure Ill have loads of questions after that. Let the adventure begin! cheers Dave

Tags
bigfoot