1987 Sasquatch tongue coupler latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2024, 06:31 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nova Scotia
1987 Sasquatch tongue coupler latch

We are in the final stage of renovating 90% of the entirety of this B-17. Early on, while in the driveway making trips back and forth to fix nearly everything, I noticed that there is no 1/4" hole in the coupler latch. While maybe paranoid, it would be easy to unhitch the trailer from the tow vehicle, walk it away to be hooked up to another tow vehicle, since our B-17, at least right now, has no method of stopping this.

Any suggestions for this vintage house on wheels would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7519-001.jpg   IMG_7519.jpg  

IMG_7721.jpg  
jayoh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well, in all of the 16+ years I've owned my Casita SD 17 trailer, (and several boat trailers before that,) I have NEVER used a hitch lock, and I never will. And fwiw, those cheesy little locks are so easy to cut or snap off, anyway, they are all but useless. Yes, I think you are being a tad bit paranoid over something that is really nothing. But, if it makes you sleep better at night, I'm sure that you can drill a hole in the hitch so you can install a lock. Even when I stop at a store or restaurant, I always do a "walk-around" the trailer before I pull out, and if some village idiot were to lift the bail on my trailer hitch as a "Ha-Ha," I would notice it and reclamp it down. There are many things in life to worry about. I think that a hitch lock would be the last thing I would ever worry about. Just my two-cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:12 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
While I appreciate your candour, Greg, to entirely trust the snap-down ball catch would be beyond my ability to remain non-paranoid. I'm sure that some of these "few dollar locks" have hardened steel pins; so, if I can find one that has no excess pin outside the catch for someone to apply a cutting jaw to, I will indeed sleep batter. hahaha Thanks again, Greg.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:31 AM   #4

Registry
Sorry if my comment may have seemed to be a bit "snarky," which was not my intent. But I would probably be more concerned, (just me,) in making sure that I didn't have what is commonly referred to as a "false hitch," which basically would be if you lowered the tongue of the trailer on the hitch ball, thinking it was actually under the hitch locking mechanism that secures it to the hitch below the ball. As a general rule, after hitching up the trailer, I jack the trailer tongue back up until I see that the rear of my tow rig also started coming up with it. Then I know it is actually properly hitched. Safe travels.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:36 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
No problemo Greg, as I did not interpret your response that way. While my arm muscles have atrophied at the crotchety ole age I continue to inhabit, I'm still strong enough to jerk the tongue and ball assembly, to effect that depiction as described. Many thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:44 AM   #6

Registry
Too funny! Yes, I also know about getting older and also "muscular atrophy," being in my 70's. I used to have 20" biceps, and could lift 438 Lbs, well into my mid 50's, but then going through the "Big C" a couple of times kinda takes the wind out of your sails, and coupled with a pretty much sedentary life-style these days, my upper arms are now about the size of my forearms. Today, my wife could beat me arm wrestling. But I still use a manual crank trailer tongue jack...
Old 02-23-2024, 02:30 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
hahaha Eye two lived with the big "C" for 9 years...supposedly completion in numerology. My doughnut became corrupted and eye underwent gawde's light eternal. I also changed my diet to an evidenced-based one, emblematic of our human biology with whole plant foods. That was 13 years ago. While my biceps never approached your ungawdely dimensions, there was a time when I could swing the 200lb anvil from the floor to the bench. Today, I concentrate on bending over to tie my shoelaces. No velcro for this dandy. Today, newly re-married on 123-123 {aka Dec. 31st., 2023 ...happening only every hundred years} I am vital, virile, but no longer virginal, at soixante-quinze. A quarter tab will due ya!
Old 02-23-2024, 09:22 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
John; I've seen that type coupler where the safety pin hole was by the pivot pin. You wouldn't see it until the coupler was in the closed or latched position.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:37 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
The only hole I see is the one at the end of the latch. It doesn't seem to connect to anything else once the latch is set in place. What if I drilled a hole through the side of the latch, thereby preventing it from lifting when an $8 lock from "Jeff" {you know, the Ammy guy who doesn't pay any taxes} was inserted?
Old 02-24-2024, 07:35 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Trillium 5500 has the same coupler. There is a locking hole on the side of the coupler where you can insert a lock pin or padlock, that will prevent the latching mechanism from backing off. The hole is not visible when the latch is open, it can only be seen when it is slid forward and latched.
The previous owner of my trailer used to put a padlock in the hole, I figured he drilled this hole himself. But it turned out that's how these couplers were made and that's how they are locked, and looking carefully at mine I found that the word "LOCK" is actually stamped on the metal near the hole with an arrow pointing to it.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:40 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...all-80685.html
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:32 AM   #12

Nova Scotia
Thanks so much, Carl. I'll have to take a closer look, as I did not see that hole for the pin and clip.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:04 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Georgia
I posted on the BOCI forum several days ago, just saw this here.

This forum thread should help. https://vintagetrailertalk.freeforum.../put-pin-hitch It has a pic or two which will not post here.

EDIT: link in post #11 is very helpful with lots of pics, same info as vintage trailer link.

Charles
Old 02-28-2024, 06:12 AM   #14

Nova Scotia
Thanks so much, Charles. I'll take a peek at mine later on the morrow when I go to town. Right now it's hidden inside the building of Jerry"s RV in New Minas NS getting fitted with a tankless water heater since the old original was full of holes after 37 years.

I suppose the water tank thingy could become yet 'nother thread. hahaha
Old 02-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #15

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Put a lock on safety chain ..
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 PM   #16

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoh999 View Post
Thanks so much, Charles. I'll take a peek at mine later on the morrow when I go to town. Right now it's hidden inside the building of Jerry"s RV in New Minas NS getting fitted with a tankless water heater since the old original was full of holes after 37 years.

While tankless water heaters seem to be a "thing", most people hate them after they use them. In a small trailer like that I'm real surprised to see one being installed.

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/on-d...eaters.147823/

Your trailer looks nice.

Charles
Old 02-29-2024, 06:47 AM   #17

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoh999 View Post

Whether you like the tankless or not will likely depend on how you use the trailer and how you set up the water heater.

The good is that they can fit nicely into a cabinet and be vented through a small concentric pipe for intake and exhaust. No large cutout on the side of the trailer like the tank heaters have. They are perfectly capable of supplying hot water, so all the naysayers who claim they are not powerful enough are mistaken.

The bad is that if you are boondocking and have a limited amount of water, they can be very wasteful and frustrating. Here's why: Every time you turn on the hot faucet, or hot shower valve, the tankless goes through a startup procedure. This procedure means you will not get hot to the faucet for about 20 seconds. You will get cold to the faucet for those 20 seconds, even if you just turn the water off for an instant. Every time the water gets turned off, the WH has to restart, and another 20 seconds of cold water goes down the drain while you are waiting for the hot. So, when showering, you must leave the hot water running the entire time, or endure a 20 second cold blast after soaping up with the water off to save water. While washing dishes, every time you want to rinse, you have to endure the delay while waiting for hot. All of this means a lot of water goes down the drain while you wait. Unlike the tank style WH that has a hot batch waiting to be used.

If you have hookups, this may not be a problem. And the very small vent hole and flexibility with mounting the tankless looks appealing.

But wait! There is a solution for the waste. The fix is to install a small diverter valve, at the shower valve that diverts the hot water back to the fresh water tank. This way, you turn the diverter to the return setting, turn on the shower valve, and when the valve feels warm you divert the water to the shower head. No water gets wasted. If you want to pause the shower to soap up, you divert again and the water continues to flow to the tank and the water heater never shuts off. Then divert back to the shower head and there again is no waiting and no wasted water. While the water is diverted, it gives you instant hot water at the kitchen sink too. So, if you want to do dishes, for instance, you go to the shower and flip the diverter to the tank setting, then turn on the shower valve to full hot. This fires up the water heater but no water is lost as all the flow goes back to the tank. Then turn on the sink faucet and you have instant hot water there. When done, shut off the shower valve.

The way to set this up is to simply screw a diverter onto the shower valve and run a tube to the tank. This diverter tube can T into the tank fill line or the tank vent line. I did this on my Imperial X22 and it was marvelous. I recommended it on another site and a number of people did it to their trailers and all love it. With hookups there is no five gallon shower limit from a tank water heater, and when boondocking, there is almost no wasted water. You don't have to cut a huge hole in the side of your trailer for the tank style heater. And you only heat the amount of water you want to use, instead of always heating a full five gallons. Excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Diverter 5.jpg  
Old 02-29-2024, 04:32 PM   #18

Georgia
My intent here is not to start any kind of debate about tankless water heaters, but rather to point out that the majority of tankless water heater users hate them, and a few love them.

Even if the OP does not have that lock hole in his tongue, its easy enough to lift the latch and slide the bar forward and drill a hole for the lock, just as the pics illustrate. Hopefully its there, you just have to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The good is that they can fit nicely into a cabinet and be vented through a small concentric pipe for intake and exhaust. No large cutout on the side of the trailer like the tank heaters have. You don't have to cut a huge hole in the side of your trailer for the tank style heater.
In case you didn't read the OP's original post, he already has a water heater, with a tank with corrosion holes in it, Its an Atwood, I can tell that from looking at the pics of the outside of the trailer, all of this means, he already has a hole in the outside of the trailer

With the exception of certain Truma units, I have not seen a demand water heater that does not require a large opening in the wall of the trailer. I have a friend I travel with alot. They had a factory installed Girard in their Winnebago Micro Mini. They finally gave up trying to use it.

Can you cite any brands that fit entirely inside with the exception of the intake/exhaust (like a furnace might in some installations)? I would be interested to know.

Girard

Truma AquaGo

Furrion is similar in size and shape, along with a couple of other brands. Most people replacing an Atwood go with the Suburban Advantage tank model, with is sized to fit the existing Atwood hole SAW6DE or DEL if you have both elect and LP switches inside

You are kinda in a dang if you do and dang if you don't situation..... If you are staying in a full hookup site where you have the water and sewer you also have electricity and with the tankless you are burning up your precious Propane. If you are boondocking where you don't have the hookups and have to use propane anyhow, you don't have the water to spare nor the gray water tank capacity to spare.

Airstream has gone to the Girard in everything and it gets badmouthed alot on the AirForum. This thread includes a number of complainers of the Girard and a couple of folks who spent upwards of $1800 to get a Truma unit installed in place of the Girard and they talk highly of it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ks-232293.html

Not meaning to hijack the thread, just wanted to bring this out in case the OP wasn't awre of the discontent with tankless units. I have a brand new Atwood 6 gal tank electronic gas/elect sitting in the box should I ever need it. I really don't like porcelain on steel tanked Surburban models but they do work and have been in use a long time.

Charles
Old 02-29-2024, 05:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Charles,

The Suburban Nautilus on-demand water heater is one of the brands that only requires a small vent hole. That is the one I had. It worked perfectly.

It is true that some people hate on-demand water heaters. I agree, they can be a real pain. But it's not enough to simply judge them because some people hate them. Why do they hate them is the important question. Can they be made to work better? The reason I never liked them for a trailer is waiting for it to fire up while water runs down the drain. That is why I did the modifications I described in my response and fixed the problem. The result is instant hot water at the shower and faucets, longer showers if you want them, higher efficiency burner, not waiting for 20 minutes for the tank water heater to warm up, and only a small vent hole in the trailer. All of these are nice features. It's important to not think they are all the same and judge every one on the worst case. The 120 volt ones may not have the power to work well, but the Propane ones designed for trailers certainly do have the power, and if set up properly, work better than a tank system.

https://thervsurplus.com/products/su...QaAs_5EALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Suburban water heater.jpg