1990 Bigfoot Axle swap confusion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Ontario
1990 Bigfoot Axle swap confusion

Hi all

I would like to buy a straight axle to replace my drop axle.

I have know idea where or how to buy one. (I live in Oshawa, Canada)

Does anybody know the info I need to buy the right one?
Do I just need a Model number or do I need to know a whole bunch of measurements?

Tom
hoppy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
One of the best web sites to educate yourself on is Trailer Parts Super Store

https://www.easternmarine.com/?msclk...0473a13a062629

One option is the #3500 straight axle and you will need to measure your existing axle hub face to hub face. The axle perches need to be welded on using your measurement from the old drop axle U bolts should be replaced. Another option is to upgrade to a heavier axle and 12 inch brake drums. This would be a good opportunity to evaluate your springs and spring hardware. Take a good look at your springs too.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Ontario
Thanks for the info Jack.
hoppy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Tom I have a 93 13' "Lil" BigFoot. If yours is the same type; the axle is a serious problem. It can not be easily replaced because of the frame configuration, and how the axles were made one off for this model. these axles will not fit any other trailer. I have read posts for years. Mine sagged badly for years. The frame and body shape will not allow a straight thru axle, to fit where the original is set. look up under the driver side where the gas line goes up into the body, and the frame changes direction The axle can be set under the frame but it will ( and does )put the body up to where it looks like an egg on legs. Add 6"s to door opening height. It has been done at a cost because it is not an in and out procedure ! Our axle sits inside the frame. No other trailers have an axle cut into the frame. there is a axle manufacturer co. in Calgary that said they would look a mine to see if they could copy it. Dexter made the axle. I have called them they don't have info on it anymore. I bought a 3' 2x2 steel tube. cut off 2 12" pieces. (Had a scrap ) I cut a notch 1/3 the way down the length of the tube from the end, the width of the axle. I removed the axle. I matched the hole cutouts where the attachment plates are drilled to connect to the frame. I put the spacer between the existing axle and the frame.the axle was inside the frame. now it is below the frame 2"s I replaced the old bolts with 3" longer bolts. I had to drill new side mount holes 2"s below the old holes.The tor-flex rubber core is severely compromised, the fulcrum angle at the pivot point of the leading link axle is above center but it works. I think I could have used a 2x3. I looks and works well. I can post a picture if needed. I would need to figure out how to do it. This repair will work for my life time!
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Tom I just looked back and your question is for a 17'.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot