1997 16' Scamp Brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
AJB

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
1997 16' Scamp Brakes

I am considering replacing my brakes. Has anyone done this? If so is there a shop manual somewhere? And have you used after market parts? The brakes that I have now are the Dexter version.
AJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB View Post
I am considering replacing my brakes. Has anyone done this? If so is there a shop manual somewhere? And have you used after market parts? The brakes that I have now are the Dexter version.
Buy the backing plates complete with the brakes and magnets installed.
Assuming the drums are in good shape and you have the knowledge to repack your wheelbearings....
The additional work is as simple as R&R of four bolts on each backing plate, the cutting and reconnecting of two wires behind each backing plate, and adjusting the brake when finished.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I bought mine from etrailer.com. I could have got them a little cheaper elsewhere, but etrailer delivers fast and I have found them good people to deal with. They also have an online video that walks you through the steps. I had to replace the drums on mine as the old ones were in pretty bad shape where the magnet drags(stripped out by the prior owner). Whole thing took me 2 hours max.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I changed mine out. When I got the trailer and looked at the brakes the pads for their age appeared to still have lots of life in them - in part I think due to the PO never having adjusted them correctly. But the springs etc were all rusted badly so I picked up a Dexter package as Floyd described from a local automotive shop - think they ordered them in for me. Wasnt a big DIY job even though no one in my home is overly automotive mechanically inclined ;-) I seem to recall the kit may have came with clear instructions.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
AJB

Florida
Yes. I need the whole deal. Backing plates and all. Can repack bearings no problem. Which package did you all get fr etrailers? I suppose I could call them and tell them my year and make? Was it dexter or other brand? Might need to know axle size, bolt pattern, etc. I guess my question really is then if I go online how do I know what to look for. Thanks all. This info is great!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is everything including the bearings and drums.

Tow Zone Electric Drum Brake Kit — Pair, 10in., Model# 56125 | Drum Brakes| Northern Tool + Equipment
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Registry
I just went into the shop and told them what size axle I had and the bolt pattern and hub size & that was all they needed to get me the correct Dexter package - did not need the hubs though as the package posted has... but what I got was also a lot cheaper.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
You need to order 10" brake assemblies for you Scamp.
E.Trailers or Northern freight are both good people to deal with.
The pair should cost around $100.00 plus shipping.
If your drums are rusty or scored you can take them to most parts houses or brake shops and they can usually recondition them for a lot less than new drums.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
You need to order 10" brake assemblies for you Scamp.
E.Trailers or Northern freight are both good people to deal with.
The pair should cost around $100.00 plus shipping.
If your drums are rusty or scored you can take them to most parts houses or brake shops and they can usually recondition them for a lot less than new drums.
Paid $20 to have one of my drums cleaned up as I was worried about the rust I saw on it.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Eastern Marine in De. carries Dexter brakes at a good price.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #11

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
My advice is to get the Dexter with the backing plates and all pieces are new and work like they are supposed to. As said before, installation time is an hour or so for the first one and even less for the second one. In my opinion you can't go wrong. Good luck, and have fun. Mike
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
AJB

Florida
Ordered the 10" dexter backplates and hubs fr etrailer.com along with misc nuts and bolts and a p2 brake controller. All for abt $350. Should be here tomorrow for install this weekend. Thanks for all of the advice. Oh and I also lucked into some Carlisle rh tires at wholesale. Can't wait to gitter done!

Tags
brakes, scamp