2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The GC is now designed much like the Mercedes ML platform, and it has a good ride for that type of vehicle. I test drove it and like it. While I have become partial to FWD type vehicles, I am thinking of making an exception someday in favor of the GC.

For trailers with light tongue weights it may not matter much between FWD and RWD, but if the tongue is heavy a RWD will have less tire scrub. My former Ford Windstar went through tires quite fast, will all the towing I do. My current HL splits the power fairly evenly between axles and does much better with tire wear.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #62

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Burtim, try a 2014 JGC V6 with the new 8 spd. I believe it has about the same 0-60 time as the 2013 V8 with the old transmission. Tows my 2850 # trailer great and gets 17 mph while doing it.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Joining in here late and I don't want to read 5 pages but here's my opinion.
Our trailer is a 1999 17" SD and I towed it with a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel powered CRD until April when I bought a Silverado. The engine is great but they only built 14,000 for North America. I'm very familiar with Chrysler and how they correct transmission problems.
The new Cherokee has gotten off to a very bad start with the shifting of the 9 speed transmission. They stored months of production until they came up with a fix. The last I read the fix did not resolve problems on all of them and each one was tested and got a pass or a fail and went back for more testing.
Coming from a person who has had 5 jeeps STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE
Joe

PS I know the difference between Cherokees and grand Cherokees but realize most don't.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #64
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
We did test one out and were not satisfied , so far we are still liking our Liberty better , in spite of all the bells and whistles .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #65
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Predicted reliability scores from the December 2013 issue of Consumer Reports.
The Cherokee must be a new model because it wasn't listed.
Apparently the older Escapes were not good either. One of the gals on the Airstream forum had this to report.....

QUOTE:I have a 2010 Ford escape and it is my least favorite car of all time.
Transmission failed at 17,000 miles, and numerous other issues. I have a Honda odyssey at over 200,000 miles and a Honda crv close to 200,000 and both of these cars COMBINED spent far less time in the shop for repairs than my Ford Escape this past year. I like and have owned Ford trucks but never wil buy a Ford car again, going back to Honda.

Complete strangers will come up to me in a parking lot and ask if I have issues with the Ford Escape, they all want to tell me about their problems with their own Ford Escapes. It's a club you don't want to be a part of!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #66

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I had an escape rental while my truck was in the shop 7ish years ago. I had a tree I wanted to drag across my yard before cutting it up, so I didn't have to haul all the pieces across the yard. I hooked a chain to it, pulled it ten feet, the tree dug in a bit, and immediately grenaded the rear cv joint. I then hooked it to my ragged out '94 eclipse with 96 screaming hp, and pulled it across the yard just fine.

I wasn't impressed. The new ones sound much better.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #67

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Apparently the older Escapes were not good either. One of the gals on the Airstream forum had this to report.....

QUOTE:I have a 2010 Ford escape and it is my least favorite car of all time.
Transmission failed at 17,000 miles, and numerous other issues. I have a Honda odyssey at over 200,000 miles and a Honda crv close to 200,000 and both of these cars COMBINED spent far less time in the shop for repairs than my Ford Escape this past year. I like and have owned Ford trucks but never wil buy a Ford car again, going back to Honda.

Complete strangers will come up to me in a parking lot and ask if I have issues with the Ford Escape, they all want to tell me about their problems with their own Ford Escapes. It's a club you don't want to be a part of!
Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! (2001 Ranger and 2008 Escape), Heck let's even throw in my 1966 Falcon's records...(and it was a non running barn find!)

My Escape is now 6 years old, has towed my Scamp all over the country for the whole time and has yet to have one cent in unscheduled maintenance. All that and under $15000
(new in 2008)

Of course no Escape should ever be attached to an Airstream!
Also I never considered using my Escape as a logging tractor,eventhough I have pulled overgrown evergreen trees out by the roots with my Ranger.
(more like landscaping than logging)

Surely that rental didn't have any reported history of abuse... Like logging or offroading or just plain being driven like a rental!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #68
MC1

Ontario
Floyd.. that is good news about the reliability of your Escape. The gal on the Airstream forum is a Mod. I just sent her a PM inquiring about what she tows the Airstream with. Will see what she has to say.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #69

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
[QUOTE=floyd;432663]Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! [QUOTE]

Me too, Floyd.

My 2003 Escape towed my 13' Trillium and 4500Trillium from one coast of Canada to the other, and down to Florida (year after year) with never a problem......just ordinary maintenance. I loved it so much I didn't want to give it up when I decided I really should get a new vehicle last year. I gave the 2003 Escape to one of my g'daughters bc she needed a dependable vehicle, going to college and work. I bought a new 2013 Escape that I have driven now since May 2013 and have found the same dependability.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #70
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Floyd.. that is good news about the reliability of your Escape. The gal on the Airstream forum is a Mod. I just sent her a PM inquiring about what she tows the Airstream with. Will see what she has to say.
Got a note from her. She was using an F250 for a TV and is looking to use an F150 in the future. She commented that the Escape has been working well since she bought the extended warranty.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
The 2013 Escape is having a rough year, with its 7th recall. At least the latest is only on the 1.6 engine, and most people pulling a camper probably have the 2.0 engine.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #72

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! (2001 Ranger and 2008 Escape), Heck let's even throw in my 1966 Falcon's records...(and it was a non running barn find!) My Escape is now 6 years old, has towed my Scamp all over the country for the whole time and has yet to have one cent in unscheduled maintenance. All that and under $15000 (new in 2008) Of course no Escape should ever be attached to an Airstream! Also I never considered using my Escape as a logging tractor,eventhough I have pulled overgrown evergreen trees out by the roots with my Ranger. (more like landscaping than logging) Surely that rental didn't have any reported history of abuse... Like logging or offroading or just plain being driven like a rental!
Logging tractor? It was maybe a 10" tree. I wouldn't hesitate to move that with any car I've ever owned. It was already cut down, I was just dragging it across the yard.

It had 450 miles on it, couldn't have been that abused.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #73

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Logging tractor? It was maybe a 10" tree. I wouldn't hesitate to move that with any car I've ever owned. It was already cut down, I was just dragging it across the yard.

It had 450 miles on it, couldn't have been that abused.
LOL Suspect it has been now!
Most of the vehicle owners manuals I have read indicate that the vehicle should have at least 1000 miles on it before it tows anything. Suspect pulling a tree would fall under that warning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #74

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A friend of mine owns a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup which he uses to haul firewood . He has cab high side boards on the truck box and fills the truck with firewood until the rear bumper almost drags on the ground . According to him Chevy is a "POS" and doesn't hold up so he constantly bad mouths Chevy Another friend has a new Toyota which according to him is the best truck ever built but the only thing that truck ever hauls is the driver and a case of beer To me antidotal evidence about most vehicles is useless and is usually based in opinion not fact
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #75
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To me antidotal evidence about most vehicles is useless and is usually based in opinion not fact
Agree, that is why I like CR. They sample 1,000's of end users and summarize into easy to read evaluations. Works for me.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #76

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Agree, that is why I like CR. They sample 1,000's of end users and summarize into easy to read evaluations. Works for me.
Unfortunately CR is an opinion magazine and has proven to be so in many more areas than just vehicles..
Try CS on a product which you really know something about, and you'll see their bias and incompetence quickly come into focus.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #77

Kansas
When I see pickup tests where the best one for towing, hauling, etc., loses because it rides to rough and the interior isn't plush enough, I have a hard time taking it seriously.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And don't forget the issue where CR complained about the lack of luggage space in the Corvette.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #79
MC1

Ontario
I have subscribed since the 70s'80's?? and have found it to be very accurate and do not buy anything over $50. without checking the CR reviews. It works for me and that's why I made the comment about it.

I know of the varied opinions about CR and I can understand why that is.

It's interesting that my dad stopped reading it when he found out the car he was driving was rated poorly by CR. Hummmm.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #80
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And don't forget the issue where CR complained about the lack of luggage space in the Corvette.
I had a 69 Corvette and it is true. No trunk! No luggage space.

As for pick up trucks. Generally speaking they don't ride that well and many have bland interiors.

Tags
casita, ford escape