2014 Subaru Forester- 1500 lb towing - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #121

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd add to that:

Before you decide to up the air pressure, do make sure the rims of the trailer wheels are rated to accommodate it.

Also:
I'd like to hear directly from your wife that she's the one that thinks 70 is a good towing speed...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #122

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
That's the way it is. She's somewhat Type A, and her first job out of engineering school involved driving semi-tanker trucks for a little Oil Patch outfit called Halliburton. She traded that for a career in nuclear weapons production management, so she surpasses my tolerance for worry.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #123

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'd add to that:
Before you decide to up the air pressure, do make sure the rims of the trailer wheels are rated to accommodate it.
Thanks Francesca for raising that VERY important point as it became clear when this topic came up not so long ago here that a number of trailers do not have rims that are rated for upping the pressure to what has been suggested.

Again it can all add up to a recipe for disaster if one doesnt do a bit of homework on the topic first.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #124

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
How do you check rim pressure ratings? My Scamp appears to have OEM steel wheels. I wouldn't expect an extra 10 psi would break a steel wheel.

I do plan to replace my tires soon. Not because they're worn, but because they're eight years old. Opinions?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #125

Registry
Rim maximum pressure is supposed to be stamped directly on the inside surface of the wheel. Demounting of tires is usually required to see the number- checking with the trailer maker on later model units might be a way to avoid having to do that.

Francesca
Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #126

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
My Scamp appears to have OEM steel wheels. I wouldn't expect an extra 10 psi would break a steel wheel.
Extra beyond what? The OEM wheels should handle the maximum inflation pressure of the tires, and the "extra" pressure is 10psi beyond that required to handle the load at 65 mph, but still must be no more than the maximum inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall.

Of course, this assumes that Scamp uses adequate components; I don't know if you can count on that.

We worked through the ST pressure/speed issue in RV Tires; it would be good to avoid going through that pain again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #127

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Extra beyond what? The OEM wheels should handle the maximum inflation pressure of the tires, and the "extra" pressure is 10psi beyond that required to handle the load at 65 mph, but still must be no more than the maximum inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall.
I could have been clearer-

There's been some discussion of the possible benefits of using higher load range tires whose max pressures are higher than the 50psi LR-C's many of us have on our trailers, in many cases as stock-from-the-mfr.

Should one choose to put on, say, LR-D's with a 65psi max, one needs to ascertain that the wheel itself will accommodate that (higher) maximum sidewall pressure before running a tire at that number.

As always, the weakest link in the chain governs...

Francesca
Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #128

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Good, clear, explanation of a related potential issue - thanks Francesca.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #129
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Back to the Forester.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
New engine, better gas mileage- big drop in towing capacity. 6 speed manual available still, though.

Glad I bought mine when I did.
Sorry I'm late to the party, we had connection and data limit issues.. Joe Spitze's Forester site indicates the engine is the same 2.5 liter I have in my 2012 with an upgrade to the 6 speed transmission. I can't find gear ratios but if the extra gear is on the low end, that would be a plus for hill starts when towing. I've experienced problems with hill starts when the trailer is connected. Joe suggests the down grade with the tow rating is the CVT. What's interesting is that we have a member with a CVT Outback pulling a Scamp who gave good reports. Finally the comments Joe, who is a Subaru salesman, makes about poor handling and performance with the CVT are very discouraging. Raz

2014 Subaru Forester
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #130

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Joe told me it was better to tow with an automatic than a manual; I wouldn't use him as an authority on towing. Maybe the CVT is worse than the old automatic but most of us prefer a manual for towing.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #131

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Joe told me it was better to tow with an automatic than a manual; I wouldn't use him as an authority on towing. Maybe the CVT is worse than the old automatic but most of us prefer a manual for towing.
I had always had manual Outbacks (as well as every other cars going back in time) and it was Joe who talked me into the automatic with the manual sport option that I use as needed when towing. Yup I bought my last Subaru from Joe even though I am a Canuck. Was skeptical at first but it has turned out just fine for towing - not sure I would go back to an manual now.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #132

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The only time I wish I had an automatic is when backing our trailer uphill.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #133

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The only time I wish I had an automatic is when backing our trailer uphill.
Ditto for my subaru, reverse is high geared without a trailer.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #134

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Just ordered a new Frontier to use as a tow vehicle. I've driven standard transmission all my life, but backing our existing trailer up our driveway convinced me to go automatic this time.

(Actually, it was watching the wife try to back the trailer up the driveway that *really* convinced me... )
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #135
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have mentioned before that the hill holder clutch makes hill starts with the trailer difficult because it doesn't disengage until the clutch is completely up unless you wait a couple of seconds. Using the hand brake you can hold the car to avoid rolling backwards and get going but it takes a higher rpm to get the needed torque. A lower gear would be nice. Stop and go on a steep hill would really shorten clutch life.

We also have Frontier. It's a very nice truck and a great tow vehicle. As others have found, the mileage is comparable to the Subaru when towing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote